Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do I need the Pod Go, HX Effects or HX Stomp XL?

Digiplay

I need some input please :)

Here are my needs:

1) Only a few pedals that include a tuner, volume, wah, compressor, distortion/overdrive, chorus, phaser, tremolo, delay, reverb, a few meat and potato amps/cabinets like a Srymon Iridium has (Fender/Vox/Marshall), and the ability to add IR's.

2) I would use at the most only (4) fx at the same time.

3) I want whichever multi fx board I go with to be the closest thing to an inline pedalboard that has the same above items.

4) I want to be able to move around the unit as close/fast as possible to as fast as I can on a conventional pedalboard. In other words, not to have to dive deep into too many button and arrow pushing/turning, too many menus just to change things such as each pedal knob position, to change the controls on an amp, etc.

5) I would like as big a screen as possible, laid out intuitively and legibly, with as many knobs as possible that will allow me to navigate around the unit quickly.

6) As many foot switches as possible to turn each pedal on and off.

7) I don't care about routing here or there, the 4CM, multiple simultaneous amps/cabinets, parallel this or that, just a basic unit that does the above #1.

8) This will be 98% for recording/reamping, and bringing the unit to another studio.

So............................................................................................................................................................................

In essence, as simple as possible :)

If I go with a HX Effects, I'll want a pedalboard, a Radial J48 and ProRMP, a Mission Engineering Combination volume/wah pedal, an Iridium, and a power brick to power both units.

If I go with a HX Stomp XL, I'll want to mount it to a pedalboard, and I'll want the same Mission Engineering pedal.

If I go with a Pod Go, it appears that's all I'll need, but I might be shortchanging myself in other areas I don't know enough to know about :)

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jerry

3 hours ago, Digiplay said:

…..

Here are my needs:

1) Only a few pedals that include ….., a few meat and potato amps/cabinets ….

That immediately rules out the HX FX because it has no amp/cab modeling. So now you’re down to two options.

I would recommend the Pod Go for overall simplicity and ease of use.

My view is that each option has pro's and con's but that no option will meet all your criteria.  For example:

• HX Stomp XL only has a small screen & HX FX has no main screen but it has small name tabs by each footswitch.
  • You want wah, but neither has a built in expression pedal so you'll need to add an external one and set that up within the device.
  • HX Stomp XL will offer more features and a little more processing power, but as you only need simple routing and only up to 4 FX, that could be overkill for you. 
  • You want things as simple as possible but if you go HX FX plus Strymon Iridium, you'll also need an external expression pedal - that means setting up and interconnecting 3 units, maybe on a board, with jumper cables etc. You'll also have to manage 2 different power supplies or 3 if you go for a mains powered dedicated wah unit e.g. Weeping Demon, Vox V847 etc.

Any solution will always mean some compromises. But based on what you've written, in my view Pod Go would seem to be the best overall fit. It's whole premise is take it & go and its designed for those with simpler needs who want a simpler experience. 

Personally I think it's a cracking bit of kit that suits all my main needs and the majority of my secondary needs.  For example Volume to Wah switching. For me, live gigging is key and I wanted a unit that in any patch without programming each patch would globally let me kick in a wah (like you I wanted it simple). With all the other units I've mentioned here, none of them have that feature.  I also liked the idea of snapshots - kind of a patch within a patch with fast changes - that I think is a possibly unique feature to Line 6 (at least its not in any other non L6 unit that I'm aware of).  And I love the Pod Go colour screen - way more than in Helix Floor/LT and that I can add two more external foot-switches to it (or another expression pedal) to give me more onstage options.  It also had to be compact & light with a smaller footprint, that I could put in a bag with leads etc and carry/transport easily, and that I can just literally plug in and 'Go'.  And above all it had to have great amp/fx models (I'm more of an amp than FX guy so like you I don't really need more than 4 FX either - but I've the option to insert an FX or two in the Pod Go FX loop if I really wanted to - never needed to yet though!).  

HOWEVER I was sorely tempted by some other MFX options, too! So before making a decision I'd strongly suggest you revisit your wish list with a view to prioritising your needs in a slightly more focused way to help you see the wood from the trees a little more clearly.  So, think about dividing your 8 'needs' up into the following categories to help you really focus on your key needs. Try to focus on eg the top 3 in each of the first 2 categories (4 at most)- & then place them in order in each category:

1. Features that are absolutely no compromise and are essential 'must haves'

2. Secondary features that are more desirable 'nice to haves' but are, if push came to shove, less essential 

3. Any features that you could more comfortably live without or are a third priority only

Once you have your objectives more clearly in mind it should help lead you to the best solution for your needs and/ or help us to better guide you.  If a unit doesn't meet all of your mandatory features/considerations, be ruthless & dismiss it. And be clear and honest with yourself eg what exactly do you mean by 'as many footswitches as possible' - ie exactly how many do you need and for what purpose. If you are only going to kick an effect in so it's on/off and have no more than 4 FX then do you really need eg 12 footswitches?  And 'in essence as simple as possible'.  What does that mean exactly - simple to use from the unit, simple to use from software, simple to set-up, simple to transport.  And if you have to keep connecting and disconnecting gear with jumper leads etc and coping with multiple power supplies, thats simple to do..but its a nuisance that will quickly wear.

But there are some other themes not on your list which I'd suggest you also factor in the above:

1. Budget

2. Expression pedal (built in? or external?) - You need an expression pedal for the wah you want

3. Portability/size/weight - more of a consideration if you are taking your gear out, less if its very largely a play at home rig that you might only take out occasionally.

4. Ease of overall rig set up and need for external cables - as per 3 above

5. Are you looking for a  wireless option?  If so, Pod Go Wireless (PGW) would be a great option to consider and is a feature neither HX Stomp XL or HX FX offer. If you needed an independent wireless option you could always buy just a Line 6 G10 receiver for greater flexibility.  For myself PGW wasn't available when I bought my Pod Go, but as I use wireless with other amps/FX/Pedalboards I have a G10 Relay.

6. Footprint (this may be relevant if you have limited floor space - eg I have a small den with built in desk unit, fitted storage unit and plinths to stand by amps on and slide pedalboards under.  Whilst I've made best use of space it means the usable floor area is reduced and I didn't want a big unit like Helix Floor/LT)

The above is exactly the process I took myself through when I was considering different products available in the market.

I'm also going to be devils advocate here. Putting aside for the moment that this is a line 6 forum and that Line 6 has some great product options, I think it would be remiss of me if I didn't raise the option of your also considering non Line 6 options too, applying the same approach.  For example: 

1. A unit with a touch screen might help you move around the unit more easily. Eg some Zoom and Headrush products have this feature. 

2. Some units have a dedicated set of physical rotary amp controls that will let you tweak amp settings more like a real amp and without having to go into menus. For example, the Zoom G11. 

3. Some units are laid out much more like a conventional pedal board with real knobs, for example the Zoom G11, Boss ME80 (be aware, the ME80 does not offer patch naming). 

4. Some units will give you more ability to program foot switches to vary their control functions, eg the Mooer GE300.  This unit also has tone capture...a Kemper like facility that allows users to capture and save tonal characteristics from any guitar, amp, cab or fx. 

5. If you are using the gear at home or in a studio and are using a computer, a good edit software interface like Pod Go Edit can be a real advantage. Some edit programs are better than others.  Is that an important consideration or will you likely just use the unit directly?  (remember though that you'll need to connect up for upgrades). 

6. Blue tooth - some MFX like the Boss GT1000 and Zoom G11 have blue tooth facilities so you can do stuff from your phone. Probably not important for you, but for some it can be essential (the Boss GT1000 isn't likely to be a good fit for you - it's a great unit, very powerful, typical Boss quality/reliability nice clear screen (albeit monochrome) but it's interface can be unintuitive and it's probably way overkill for your needs)

7. Some units will have other USP's - for example, the Zoom G6, G11 and Mooer GE300 provide DSP information to help you see the DSP 'cost' of each selection. The G6 (and I think G11) offer some interesting ways to group patches eg like set lists. Pod Go and HX Stomp XL have snapshots (i'm less up on HXFX so not sure if that applies to it as it doesn't have amp modelling). 

Finally, I'd strongly recommend that before making any final selection you read the manual and watch some of the better user videos (manufacturer or third-party) on eg your shortlisted top two that will help you get a better feel of what the unit would be like to live with and physically use.  Remember too that different folk have different product & manufacturer allegiances and some may have vested interests, so take on board feedback/reviews but use your best judgement as to how 'independent' that might be.  Manufacturers are great at telling you what units can do because they want you to buy them. But it's what the unit can't do that you'll need to try & figure out in case it's something essential you need.  For example if a polysynth or polycapod effect is essential to you, you won't get that in Pod Go. 

Fundamentally, there is no such thing as the best product/solution...only which is the best product/solution for you. But figuring that out, well, as Shakespeare said " there lieth the rub" ! Lol

But you are absolutely doing the right thing to think things through carefully, and I hope my input helps you to do that with a bit more focus/direction so you can lead yourself on the right path to the right set-up for you.

Edited by voxman55
  • Upvote 1

I used Pod GO for the duration of 2020 and did several shows and mostly songwriting....For songwriting/recording, I highly recommend it. It's dead simple and fast to great results...For live it leaves a bit to be desired for me...parallel paths....a must...I use native in my recording so the HX tracks using get dumped anyway since I take the dry at the same time...whatever I record from an HX is generally just placeholder scratch...

I switched to the HX XL about a year or so ago and I could not be happier....The layout is basically identical to the GO but with the flexibility I need....The one thing I mess about the GO is the AMP OUT....I can do that with the XL also, but it costs a block and an FX out...Both are great units....Good luck

3 hours ago, spaceatl said:

I used Pod GO for the duration of 2020 and did several shows and mostly songwriting....For songwriting/recording, I highly recommend it. It's dead simple and fast to great results...For live it leaves a bit to be desired for me...parallel paths....a must...I use native in my recording so the HX tracks using get dumped anyway since I take the dry at the same time...whatever I record from an HX is generally just placeholder scratch...

I switched to the HX XL about a year or so ago and I could not be happier....The layout is basically identical to the GO but with the flexibility I need....The one thing I mess about the GO is the AMP OUT....I can do that with the XL also, but it costs a block and an FX out...Both are great units....Good luck

He did say he doesn't need parallel paths though:

" 7) I don't care about routing here or there, the 4CM, multiple simultaneous amps/cabinets, parallel this or that, just a basic unit that does the above #1.

20 hours ago, voxman55 said:

My view is that each option has pro's and con's but that no option will meet all your criteria.  For example:

• HX Stomp XL only has a small screen & HX FX has no main screen but it has small name tabs by each footswitch.
  • You want wah, but neither has a built in expression pedal so you'll need to add an external one and set that up within the device.
  • HX Stomp XL will offer more features and a little more processing power, but as you only need simple routing and only up to 4 FX, that could be overkill for you. 
  • You want things as simple as possible but if you go HX FX plus Strymon Iridium, you'll also need an external expression pedal - that means setting up and interconnecting 3 units, maybe on a board, with jumper cables etc. You'll also have to manage 2 different power supplies or 3 if you go for a mains powered dedicated wah unit e.g. Weeping Demon, Vox V847 etc.

Any solution will always mean some compromises. But based on what you've written, in my view Pod Go would seem to be the best overall fit. It's whole premise is take it & go and its designed for those with simpler needs who want a simpler experience. 

Personally I think it's a cracking bit of kit that suits all my main needs and the majority of my secondary needs.  For example Volume to Wah switching. For me, live gigging is key and I wanted a unit that in any patch without programming each patch would globally let me kick in a wah (like you I wanted it simple). With all the other units I've mentioned here, none of them have that feature.  I also liked the idea of snapshots - kind of a patch within a patch with fast changes - that I think is a possibly unique feature to Line 6 (at least its not in any other non L6 unit that I'm aware of).  And I love the Pod Go colour screen - way more than in Helix Floor/LT and that I can add two more external foot-switches to it (or another expression pedal) to give me more onstage options.  It also had to be compact & light with a smaller footprint, that I could put in a bag with leads etc and carry/transport easily, and that I can just literally plug in and 'Go'.  And above all it had to have great amp/fx models (I'm more of an amp than FX guy so like you I don't really need more than 4 FX either - but I've the option to insert an FX or two in the Pod Go FX loop if I really wanted to - never needed to yet though!).  

HOWEVER I was sorely tempted by some other MFX options, too! So before making a decision I'd strongly suggest you revisit your wish list with a view to prioritising your needs in a slightly more focused way to help you see the wood from the trees a little more clearly.  So, think about dividing your 8 'needs' up into the following categories to help you really focus on your key needs. Try to focus on eg the top 3 in each of the first 2 categories (4 at most)- & then place them in order in each category:

1. Features that are absolutely no compromise and are essential 'must haves'

2. Secondary features that are more desirable 'nice to haves' but are, if push came to shove, less essential 

3. Any features that you could more comfortably live without or are a third priority only

Once you have your objectives more clearly in mind it should help lead you to the best solution for your needs and/ or help us to better guide you.  If a unit doesn't meet all of your mandatory features/considerations, be ruthless & dismiss it. And be clear and honest with yourself eg what exactly do you mean by 'as many footswitches as possible' - ie exactly how many do you need and for what purpose. If you are only going to kick an effect in so it's on/off and have no more than 4 FX then do you really need eg 12 footswitches?  And 'in essence as simple as possible'.  What does that mean exactly - simple to use from the unit, simple to use from software, simple to set-up, simple to transport.  And if you have to keep connecting and disconnecting gear with jumper leads etc and coping with multiple power supplies, thats simple to do..but its a nuisance that will quickly wear.

But there are some other themes not on your list which I'd suggest you also factor in the above:

1. Budget

2. Expression pedal (built in? or external?) - You need an expression pedal for the wah you want

3. Portability/size/weight - more of a consideration if you are taking your gear out, less if its very largely a play at home rig that you might only take out occasionally.

4. Ease of overall rig set up and need for external cables - as per 3 above

5. Are you looking for a  wireless option?  If so, Pod Go Wireless (PGW) would be a great option to consider and is a feature neither HX Stomp XL or HX FX offer. If you needed an independent wireless option you could always buy just a Line 6 G10 receiver for greater flexibility.  For myself PGW wasn't available when I bought my Pod Go, but as I use wireless with other amps/FX/Pedalboards I have a G10 Relay.

6. Footprint (this may be relevant if you have limited floor space - eg I have a small den with built in desk unit, fitted storage unit and plinths to stand by amps on and slide pedalboards under.  Whilst I've made best use of space it means the usable floor area is reduced and I didn't want a big unit like Helix Floor/LT)

The above is exactly the process I took myself through when I was considering different products available in the market.

I'm also going to be devils advocate here. Putting aside for the moment that this is a line 6 forum and that Line 6 has some great product options, I think it would be remiss of me if I didn't raise the option of your also considering non Line 6 options too, applying the same approach.  For example: 

1. A unit with a touch screen might help you move around the unit more easily. Eg some Zoom and Headrush products have this feature. 

2. Some units have a dedicated set of physical rotary amp controls that will let you tweak amp settings more like a real amp and without having to go into menus. For example, the Zoom G11. 

3. Some units are laid out much more like a conventional pedal board with real knobs, for example the Zoom G11, Boss ME80 (be aware, the ME80 does not offer patch naming). 

4. Some units will give you more ability to program foot switches to vary their control functions, eg the Mooer GE300.  This unit also has tone capture...a Kemper like facility that allows users to capture and save tonal characteristics from any guitar, amp, cab or fx. 

5. If you are using the gear at home or in a studio and are using a computer, a good edit software interface like Pod Go Edit can be a real advantage. Some edit programs are better than others.  Is that an important consideration or will you likely just use the unit directly?  (remember though that you'll need to connect up for upgrades). 

6. Blue tooth - some MFX like the Boss GT1000 and Zoom G11 have blue tooth facilities so you can do stuff from your phone. Probably not important for you, but for some it can be essential (the Boss GT1000 isn't likely to be a good fit for you - it's a great unit, very powerful, typical Boss quality/reliability nice clear screen (albeit monochrome) but it's interface can be unintuitive and it's probably way overkill for your needs)

7. Some units will have other USP's - for example, the Zoom G6, G11 and Mooer GE300 provide DSP information to help you see the DSP 'cost' of each selection. The G6 (and I think G11) offer some interesting ways to group patches eg like set lists. Pod Go and HX Stomp XL have snapshots (i'm less up on HXFX so not sure if that applies to it as it doesn't have amp modelling). 

Finally, I'd strongly recommend that before making any final selection you read the manual and watch some of the better user videos (manufacturer or third-party) on eg your shortlisted top two that will help you get a better feel of what the unit would be like to live with and physically use.  Remember too that different folk have different product & manufacturer allegiances and some may have vested interests, so take on board feedback/reviews but use your best judgement as to how 'independent' that might be.  Manufacturers are great at telling you what units can do because they want you to buy them. But it's what the unit can't do that you'll need to try & figure out in case it's something essential you need.  For example if a polysynth or polycapod effect is essential to you, you won't get that in Pod Go. 

Fundamentally, there is no such thing as the best product/solution...only which is the best product/solution for you. But figuring that out, well, as Shakespeare said " there lieth the rub" ! Lol

But you are absolutely doing the right thing to think things through carefully, and I hope my input helps you to do that with a bit more focus/direction so you can lead yourself on the right path to the right set-up for you.

voxmann55,

Wow, thank you SO much for taking what I know took a lot of time on your part!

Before I make ANY decision, I need to keep reading what you stated over and over as many times as needed, as EVERYTHING you mention opens up the thought process I need to follow.

Thanks again!

Jerry

• Like 1

My pleasure Jerry; glad it was helpful & good luck. 

BTW, here's a pic of my Pod Go with two extra momentary (non-latching) foot-switches (connected via a stereo TRS Y cable).  This adds great extra flexibility and these can do anything the onboard FS1-6 can do.  Only downside is that unfortunately you can't currently see these in the stomp-mode window but I'm hoping that this might be something Line 6 might address in future updates. 

6WDG1d2taPeK8jPTBVfML5OJZTkiaZ_tdhaq38nN19Ie5f-AOxW4q6JiiO6Ea4PL1FGJOaUTT5zPXyLxPttVwlFy_ZFSmoKGN7W7pA7DUMFBUVhQLVHMFsXKAGVkFCNQm2bHJWHio6csTWI2jppF8N9EKWxGl2KjSeM1ascj87YwLk9RLlU44lbG04v-uaQftZxtwb5EhT7Eim2wEqTBL2GQWszTQf-mypFxtxjJCqjj6vYF_qsHQtxWFSviEeHx-MWAyWCthuw8FdAWuctclz_CviFdEt5UZnaDKbjwgMtEnZk3B8G7z0LZn2DRxZLeZ9PHVHpYHm10w6q8NUJzB5Yvvk2K-c3K6seo5bbGtw7DEELJ8F58W-3R2hFu-t4V8e1OuvwaNGUxDB15Za8_tw7q-AeePvolnG7DgJCeAAzDZq_VqWutPHtp49nc0jkwBnAoMvoBeo93IGpLfPC5zqBAnWS0YIXAfDQspB0XkSh4h4xMlabD5rw0quyiq_nON7zd14eQ-H3mui4vhfhDEoJ7Sl-fSXAQiyMSbgxOO8WPgEqD9sA32u3yq7fn1wUSEbFNd4iW3Z-cJnpJGRtL81e3HO34GG0LBJui-Rs0cVa-bETrv8NmNoxBV4HB4mXPw0qY8E2hRiO1h2AsWZJni8CVRsQVDrL0rOhJWF8hoHPIFr2iavsFDxJMgpwM2NuDI5DB_O_qNjVSUTkOXZ-LtFHF=w1324-h993-no?authuser=0

However, since v1.30 these can also now be used to scroll through patches. So if you are eg in the 6 window stomp mode you can set these to act as scroll up/down without needing to come out of Stomp mode and having to go into preset mode. 

Another great advantage is that the external switches will operate in any mode. So if you are in preset mode you have to go into stomp mode to access FS1-6, but with FS7/8 you don't.  I'll typically set a patch for FS7 to kick in a clean boost and for FS8 to kick in a distortion.  But you can set set them to do anything FS1-6 can do.   (if you've set them for scroll you can't of course also use them as FX controllers, or vice-a-versa, but it's good to have options).

Another nice feature in the latest v1.30 upgrade that makes life easier is that you can save your favourite version of any amp or fx.  So, let's say you've selected the Boss classic 70's chorus and you found your perfect settings. Save as a user preference, and whenever you build a new patch and want to add it, you can insert either your saved preference or the factory default.  Simples! 

Pod Go may be designed to be a little simpler than Helix products, but be assured it's still a very powerful and well thought out piece of kit.  

2 hours ago, voxman55 said:

He did say he doesn't need parallel paths though:

" 7) I don't care about routing here or there, the 4CM, multiple simultaneous amps/cabinets, parallel this or that, just a basic unit that does the above #1.

Dude, I am just conveying my opinion and experience and why I moved. No more no less...Figured it could further reinforce that the GO might be what he determine he needs as I certainly read that. But I did forget to mention that the locked blocks was a big issue for me as well which doesn't happen on the XL. But I still miss that damn AMP OUT...

Are you saying I should not chime in with my experiences when someone is trying to decide between Line 6 modelers?....That's kinda nitpicky bro...

1 hour ago, spaceatl said:

Dude, I am just conveying my opinion and experience and why I moved. No more no less...Figured it could further reinforce that the GO might be what he determine he needs as I certainly read that. But I did forget to mention that the locked blocks was a big issue for me as well which doesn't happen on the XL. But I still miss that damn AMP OUT...

Are you saying I should not chime in with my experiences when someone is trying to decide between Line 6 modelers?....That's kinda nitpicky bro...

Aw, you sensitive soul you! Lol

No of course not mate. I simply thought you might have missed that he didn't need parallel signal paths and nothing deeper than that. 

And you make the point beautifully that it's not what gear is best but what's best for you, and your choice clearly meets your needs really well, as my Pod Go meets mine.  And of course that's exactly why Line 6 has come up with a range of products around a core concept, to suit different budgets and needs. 

9 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Aw, you sensitive soul you! Lol

No of course not mate. I simply thought you might have missed that he didn't need parallel signal paths and nothing deeper than that. 

And you make the point beautifully that it's not what gear is best but what's best for you, and your choice clearly meets your needs really well, as my Pod Go meets mine.  And of course that's exactly why Line 6 has come up with a range of products around a core concept, to suit different budgets and needs. 

Normally I am not...A musician friend of mine suffered an unexpected health event and it hit me hard. I think it is unusual for me to lash out, but this week (and past 2 years) got to me this week. Just venting. Your posts are stellar bro and I am glad you are here. We are on the same page. cheers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spaceatl said:

Normally I am not...A musician friend of mine suffered an unexpected health event and it hit me hard. I think it is unusual for me to lash out, but this week (and past 2 years) got to me this week. Just venting. Your posts are stellar bro and I am glad you are here. We are on the same page. cheers.

No probs bro' and really sorry to hear about your friend & that you've been going through a bit of a rough patch yourselfimage.gif.c74e49428fce0e49358bf23fae18f6b2.gif- but right back at you re above.:aok  Cheers :beer