Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DI (USB 7) to Logic issue.

WeatheredChoyy

Hey folks!

I’m currently working on a record and finally started tracking guitar last night. After tracking my dirty & clean (separated on two different tracks in logic) guitar, I listened back and found an issue where my DI track is WAY too hot.

here is my setup.

Guitar into guitar input.

”Amped” up guitar patch out USB1 to logic audio track. Using the output of the patch signal is averaging -15dbs in logic channel strip.

DI out USB7 to second logic audio track. This track is clipping.

anyone run into this situation before?

I am going to try using the Aux input next session, but am very surprised that I’d have to do that as the pickups are passive classic humbuckers. I also don’t believe that they’re too high setup wise. Just strange that the amped track sounds so good, but the DI is clipping. It’s usually the other way around in my experience!?

any suggestions? Anyone experienced this?

Thanks for your time!!

I don't usually use Helix as my AI, (I use Scarlett 18i20 and for a DI I take the XLR off my G10 wireless) and I use Reaper as my DAW.

I just went over and switched AI to Helix and set up Reaper tracks to 1 and 7.

I'm getting the opposite result. -6db on the processed track (1) and -18db on the DI track (7).

Something in your Logic settings?

1 hour ago, WeatheredChoyy said:

Anyone experienced this?

Hi,

Well, that's a new one on me.

I use my Helix into Logic Pro almost daily with the processed audio in stereo on USB 1&2 and the DI on USB 7, it just works as expected direct out from the Helix as the interface and monitors on Helix XLRs for zero latency.

It's usually that the USB 7 signal is way down in comparison. No idea what might be causing that and I'm just about to shut down for today, and won't be back in the studio until tomorrow, so Im not in a position to help troubleshoot the issue until then.

Sorry I can't assist right now, hopefully some other Mac user can chime in.

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2022 at 3:47 PM, WeatheredChoyy said:

any suggestions?

Hi,

I said this was a new one on me and it is - Try as I might I cannot get USB7 or USB8 (set to guitar) to get close to the original processed audio coming in in stereo on USB 1&2.

I have my guitar to Helix GUITAR IN > Helix Preset (amp+cab, flanger, delay, verb) > OUTPUT Multi (1/4", XLR, Digital, USB1/2) > USB cable into Logic Pro X on an iMac 27"Retina 5k (32GB RAM) running Catalina, XLRs from Helix into Tannoy 8" monitors. It just works - I have never seen the signal get close to being too hot on USB 7 or 8.

Don't know what to suggest, other than try another USB cable. I'm guessing from your post that this is the first time that you have hooked up your Helix to the DAW, or did you have it working fine, and now it's too hot on the input?

Humour me - load this template into Logic and see if it still happens. Double click to unzip them load into Logic.

Helix Template.zip

I'm also a Helix (Stomp) and Logic user. I'm with @datacommando; never heard of anyone getting hot signals via USB. Most folks complain about the recorded levels being too low (based on shallow waveforms in their tracks). Do you have any other USB audio inputs you can compare? Can you test your Helix outputs with another computer? Also, we're assuming you are using no USB hubs, etc. And try @datacommando's template.

Shooting in the dark so far. Reboot your Mac? Reinstall your Helix firmware? Have you had any encounters with the spirit world?

• Haha 1