Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4th string no sound

Kedhrin

Hello!

the 4th string on my variax shuriken makes no noise when i turn on the modeler unless i go into workbench and set the magnetics to 100%. 

If the variax is turned off and i play, there is no issues with ti.

any idea what could be causing this?

I think it is most likely the piezo is dirty or failing. And if one is the others may not be far behind. You could try loosening the strings and cleaning the contact points in the saddle where the strings and piezo meet. Use an alcohol solution and cotton swab and let dry fully. Then change your strings to ensure no dirt remains.

43 minutes ago, silverhead said:

I think it is most likely the piezo is dirty or failing. And if one is the others may not be far behind. You could try loosening the strings and cleaning the contact points in the saddle where the strings and piezo meet. Use an alcohol solution and cotton swab and let dry fully. Then change your strings to ensure no dirt remains.

Thank you,

i cleaned it up and it started to come through but really poorly phasing in and out. I imagine then the pezio is probably broken.... i'm not really sure which pezio i'm supposed to get for a replacement. unfortunately the link for the full compass thing doesnt seem too work properly 

What silverhead said, head knows his stuff. 

Check the model gallery in the owners manual. Stevic had some patches where certain strings were attenuated or muted altogether.

If that is not the case,... alcohol on a cotton swab, drip it onto the piezo/saddle, then blow out with canned air. Repeat as needed. It

clears out any dust debris and such. The saddle acts as the chassis ground for the piezo, keep it clean prevents intermittent connections.

If it's still a problem, it should be serviced by a Line 6 authorized service center.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, psarkissian said:

What silverhead said, head knows his stuff. 

Check the model gallery in the owners manual. Stevic had some patches where certain strings were attenuated or muted altogether.

If that is not the case,... alcohol on a cotton swab, drip it onto the piezo/saddle, then blow out with canned air. Repeat as needed. It

clears out any dust debris and such. The saddle acts as the chassis ground for the piezo, keep it clean prevents intermittent connections.

If it's still a problem, it should be serviced by a Line 6 authorized service center.

Thank you for the information.

I'll try to keep cleaning it, but my guitar room is almost 100% dust/dirt/grime free (filtered and well kept room). I had already cleaned it a ton with duster and the alcohol swipes but will keep trying. 

My shuriken is 4 or 5 years old, i dont remember when i got it - i think right when it came out - maybe they just crapped out.

Unfortunately, I'm working and living in Russia right now. From what I can tell, there is no authorized service centers here and the closest to me is Helsinki (but I cannot get there due to COVID). Do you think this would be something an experienced guitar tech could handle repairs on? Is there any official technical specs for hardware and schematics I could share with them, just in case?