Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Floor and JTV69 Volume Problem

line-6-user

First of all, a big Thank You to Line 6 for giving us another free firmware with more goodies for us to play with, yet again!

I am having some problem with the JTV69 (VDI cable) which was not there in the previous firmware.

The volume pot does not completely cut off when rolled off to zero position, hence sound passes to the Helix.

On selecting the Variax tab, in the input section, and then manually forcing the "Volume Knob (Global)"  to any number, and then rotating the JTV69 Volume Pot on full and then on OFF,  Helix Edit shows a 0.2 instead of 0.  This value is enough to bleed sound through and I can see the Helix input light up green.

Has anyone had the same issue?

Is there a way to recalibrate the Volume on the JTV69?

Is this a Bug on the 3.15 firmware?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, line-6-user said:

….

Is there a way to recalibrate the Volume on the JTV69?

Is this a Bug on the 3.15 firmware?

Thanks.

I suggest using a potentiometer cleaner, or even rotate the Vol knob vigorously back and forth multiple times to try to dislodge any dirt or grit that may be preventing it from rotating fully to the zero position.

I am not at my Helix and Variax right now but will test this later and report back on whether it might be a bug.

Thanks for letting me know it's not a bug.

What's the best product to use in the encoders?  How to best apply it?

The tone encoder is "Scratchy" but goes back to zero.

The volume encoder sound doesn't sound "Scratchy" but it won't go back to zero.  You would think it would be the other way around.

I have experienced this kind of issue twice over the last 7ish years with my Helix and JTV-69, so I don't think it's the firmware update causing it. Both times, I never was able to figure out the cause, and after some days, the problem went away. Since I mostly play with the instrument volume at 10 at all times, it wasn't a complete dealbreaker. I still don't know exactly why it happened nor why the problem went away both times.

1 hour ago, line-6-user said:

I did as suggested by Silverhead and it solved the volume issue but the crackling on the Tone Pot is still there.

Rotating it vigorously the cracking at first goes away but after a few minutes it comes back.  

That seems to confirm that the problem is, indeed, a dirty pot. It needs cleaning rather than just vigorous rotation.