Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do I get a second signal path/processor?

Dweinin357

New to my helix.  Have been following people online learning how to use it.  I'm running HX Edit. for my Stomp XL

I cannot figure out how other users are getting a second signal chain/processor chain? I'm attaching two screen grabs. One showing another users signal chain and then one showing mine.  If I click on the output block... seem to get any options for a second signal chain?  I'm definitely doing something wrong.  

Thanks. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.03.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.06.45 AM.png

Although the Stomp XL is limited to a single DSP.... you can still get 2 paths.

Add more than one block, then DRAG one of those down. A 2nd path is created, including a "split block" and a "merge block" which can also be moved around. You are still going to be limited to 8 blocks but you can divide those any way you want on the 2 paths. The split & merge (that are auto created) do not consume block space. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t think you can have two independent input blocks though, can you? So you can’t independently process two different inputs. But you can process the same input in parallel paths, as you say. Please correct me if I am mistaken. It’s not clear whether this is what the OP was asking about but it occurred to me.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, silverhead said:

I don’t think you can have two independent input blocks though, can you? So you can’t independently process two different inputs. But you can process the same input in parallel paths, as you say. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Great question.... To be honest, I'm not sure because I don't own a Stomp XL. 
EDIT TO ADD: Yes it is possible.. see the video a couple posts down.

I know could create two independent paths on my HX Effects when I owned one.

• Move the SPLIT block to be first in the chain
  • Hard pan the inputs at the split block
  • Place the MERGE block to be last in the chain
  • Hard pan the outputs at the merge block

Left Input fed the upper path all the way to the left output.

Right input fed the lower path all the way to the right output.

Seeing that both the HX Effects and the HX Stomp XL has separate left/right inputs, I am making an assumption that it might be possible.... if the OP is even wanting it. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, silverhead said:

I don’t think you can have two independent input blocks though, can you? So you can’t independently process two different inputs. But you can process the same input in parallel paths, as you say. Please correct me if I am mistaken. It’s not clear whether this is what the OP was asking about but it occurred to me.

I was wondering about that, but not having an XL to check makes it simply a guessing game. 

Looking at the OP’s screen shot, you can see that it is running as a super serial path, but I’m unsure if the input on the lower path can be changed for something other than the feed from the one above. The Stomp XL hardware has an “Aux In” option for keyboard, synth, drum machine etc. - possibly this lower path can accept input from there to be processed separately? Dunno, just a thought.

45 minutes ago, datacommando said:

The Stomp XL hardware has an “Aux In” option for keyboard, synth, drum machine etc. - possibly this lower path can accept input from there to be processed separately?

No need to use the AUX IN unless you really want to... the Stomp, Stomp XL and HX Effects have "left/right" inputs and those can be separated with the split block to feed path A/B respectively. 

I found this video which does walk through 3 different options for running two independent instruments through a Stomp... I'm sure the Stomp XL is no different. 

• Upvote 2