Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording quality

357mag

I did some recording with my POD X3 before I bought my Helix and the recording quality was not too bad. I would like to get it better however. I have an EMU 1212m sound card in my computer which is probably obsolete and old by now.

But I was wondering when I start recording with my Helix what determines the recording quality? Does the Helix act like an audio interface and thus the Helix will determine the recording quality? Or does my sound card still determine the quality?

I was thinking I may have to pick a better audio interface to replace my aging sound card, but perhaps I won't if the Helix determines the sound quality.

Your Helix Rack will do a fine job acting as your Audio Interface. Should you feel it is lacking in dynamic range, headroom, I/O or otherwise, there are plenty of superior options at increasing price points. Connect your Helix Rack to your PC via USB and configure your DAW accordingly! If your computer is out of date, it too may be worth replacing or upgrading. Also be aware that Helix Native may serve you well once you begin using your DAW for recording. Browse the USB Signal routing section of the Helix Rack User Guide PDF, so you'll have a clear idea of the Helix's multi channel USB capabilities. The Helix User Community here and on TGP is an exceptional resource. 

On 8/6/2022 at 10:26 PM, 357mag said:

Yeah I have already connected my Helix to my computer using the USB cable and I've installed the drivers and Helix Edit. I'm all set to start recording as soon as I decide what to lay down.

I've personally recorded several albums-worth of songs using the Helix as the sound interface straight into Logic and have had great results.  Some of those got 4+ millions of views on YouTube-- so no need to get anything audio-interface-wise if you just plan on recording your guitar/vocals/other instruments through the mic with the help of the Helix.  Obviously if you want to track an entire band, you need a more advanced audio interface.