Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

!! 3.50 firmware installation stuck at "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode" !!

jmcollin

Hello, after trying to update my Helix Floor carefully reading the instructions, I 'm stuck at the Factory Reset step.

I restart my Helix Floor while holding footswitches 9 and 10, I see a message "Will reset global, UMD, ..." but after a few second I see the message "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode !"

HW edit don't see my Helix now.

So I'm totally stuck at this step.

I need some help to restore my system or to finish the update.

On 11/6/2022 at 5:13 PM, jmcollin said:

Hello, after trying to update my Helix Floor carefully reading the instructions, I 'm stuck at the Factory Reset step.

I restart my Helix Floor while holding footswitches 9 and 10, I see a message "Will reset global, UMD, ..." but after a few second I see the message "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode !"

HW edit don't see my Helix now.

So I'm totally stuck at this step.

I need some help to restore my system or to finish the update.

I really don't know how much clearer this information can be displayed.

Go here and follow the instructions

Hope this helps/makes sense.

"I really don't know how much clearer this information can be displayed."

The link you provide is to restore the system right ? Not to install the 3.50 firmware or am I wrong ?

I follow this documentation to install and I really wonder what I am doing wrong to be stuck in the reset factory: 

On 11/6/2022 at 5:24 PM, jmcollin said:

I have used the HX Edit 3.11 (the doc don't says to mandatory install HX Edit 3.50).

The first step in updating your hardware starts with HX Edit advising you that an Update is available. You need to download, install and relaunch the NEW HX EDIT 3.50 which will then guide you through the backup of your hardware and the installation the new firmware. 

All this is documented in the Release Notes and is also on the Downloads page, It even tells you what is happening in HX Edit 3.50 through the installation process- especially the bit which states " Boot Failure - Entered Update Mode" and then hit the "Resume" button.

Your Helix seems to have an issue after trying to Update Presets to work with the new Core and restore your Globals. In a FAILED STATE HX Edit cannot reconnect via USB, therefore I suggest you read and follow the instructions in the link provided above. This will allow you to reconnect and reinstall the firmware correctly.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 6:30 PM, jmcollin said:

The link you provide is to restore the system right

No. It's describing a method to get you back up and running in case of a bricked update. A method working in 95% of all cases. And well, perhaps you should just click on the link before coming up with assumptions about what it might be.

• Like 1

OK I will try that. But I maintains that I follow the Release note documentation strictly and the procedure have failed. If so many people have trouble and need some help, I guess this procedure is somehow weird.

Thank yo both for your help. I don't see my Helix in Line6 updated but i will continue with other Mac as suggested.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:58 PM, jmcollin said:

But I maintains that I follow the Release note documentation strictly and the procedure have failed. If so many people have trouble and need some help, I guess this procedure is somehow weird.

Yeah, there might be room for improvements in Line 6's update methods, but then, at least there's the Updater to get you back up and running.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:36 PM, datacommando said:

The first step in updating your hardware starts with HX Edit advising you that an Update is available.

Exactly. But an update of the firmware and not an update of HX edit itself (or I don't see it).

The doc says :

IMPORTANT! If you're running HX Edit 3.00 or older, download HX Edit 3.50 and repeat step 1.

I was running HXEdit 3.11, so no need of upgrading HX edit before the update If I understand right.

What I want to say here is that the official documentation is not good enough.

If other people reads this before upgrading to 3.50 please consider updating HXEdit before (I suppose this is the main reason of the failure)

Hopefullly the link provided by @datacommando have done the job.
For others, if the Helix stuck in "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode" is not visible in the Line6updater, consider to deconnect / reconnect USB cable until it is seen by line6updater.

This update procedure is a nightmare... I am a musicien and not a computer science ingeneer. Very scary but thank you another time for helping me.

On 11/6/2022 at 7:07 PM, jmcollin said:

If other people reads this before upgrading to 3.50 please consider updating HXEdit before (I suppose this is the main reason of the failure)

Well, the procedure as intended by Line 6 would be: No need to update HX Edit manually in case you're using a version newer than 3.00 already. So, when starting HX Edit and logging in, you should be told there's an update. In case you follow the instructions, the first thing to happen before your hardware unit gets updated would be that HX Edit would update itself. Only then will the actual firmware process start (and before anything starts at all, even before HXEs self-update, you'll be asked to do a backup).
Now, at which point in time and why there might be glitches happening - only Line 6 will know for sure, but they seem to happen. Sometimes it's users not following the instructions carefully, using a weak USB connection and what not. But it also seems to happen out of the blue (I had that with the 3.15 update, and I've been absolutely aware of what to and what not to do).

Whatever, manually updating HX Edit as a first step might not harm, but I'm sure it's not usually responsible for some updates to fail, my bet would be something happening while downloading, checksumchecking or transfering the actual firmware. In case it was just a failure caused by HX Edit, the hardware would still run as usual.

I just did the update.... it works as outlined, but you do need to pay attention. If you break the sequence, all bets are off! 

When this appears on the screen... which is at the 50% mark give or take a little.... 

1_booterror.jpg.7e4f2eb08535dd4eb7ddf787783890c7.jpg

This also appears on HX EDIT .... 

2_hx-edit-error.jpg.826e2b47d7e33d97d75a2e96e61081cd.jpg

You simply have to press REUME to continue.... If you panic and shut down either HX Edit or the Helix at this stage you probably end up on these forums wondering what went wrong! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Where Line 6, this forum, youtube and the rest of the 'net gets this wrong is announcing that there is an update in the first place.

I got an email about it. If you're a regular on the forum, or subscribed to one of those tubes who does videos, that's usually, the first place you hear about the update.

Those of us who've 'been there, done it' know to plug in and start HX Edit, WHICH CLEARLY TELLS YOU THAT YOU NEED TO UPDATE HX EDIT FIRST!

It would be better if Line 6 didn't announce the update, so the first you know about it is when HX Edit tells you there's one, and they integrated the Updater app in to HX Edit to stop people using it to carry out routine updates, as it seems it's only needed when you screw it up.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:29 AM, somebodyelse said:

It would be better if Line 6 didn't announce the update, so the first you know about it is when HX Edit tells you there's one,

Well, yes and no. Many people aren't constantly logged in with HX Edit or online all the time (myself included), so you'd likely miss that there's an update.

• Like 2