Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stomp XL vs Helix LT?

adam0211

Im on the fence between the Helix LT and a Stomp with Whammy DT.

I want pitch and capo effects, basic metal/djent high gain tones, probably dont need dual amps or cabs.

The Stomp and WhammyDT will end up being slightly more expensive if I buy new along with an exp pedal. The Helix is large, but would be about the same width as the other setup. I would probably need a board for the Stomp.

Which do you prefer?

Don't overlook the value of the LT's dual DSP chips and twice the Signal Chain Block configuration options. Plus, Eight Snapshots per Preset and more! Unless the size is a constraint, seriously compare the features of both routes.  

Price and size being essentially the same, I'd go with the LT (I did!). While the Whammy might offer all the pitch manipulation tools that the Helix does, the main difference is that the LT can call up any settings configuration of its pitch blocks, and any other block, at the touch of a footswitch, be it via presets, snapshots, or direct footswitch assignments. Unless you're going to just be using one setting and one setting only on the Whammy, the LT is clearly the way to go. And even if you do plan on just using one setting, the LT gives you the ability to experiment with other settings, and if you find something that's useful, you can just program it into another preset or snapshot and still have your regular settings there by just pushing a footswitch, instead of having to bend over and manually tweak a pedal. 

On 11/16/2022 at 2:15 PM, SaschaFranck said:

If you plan to use constant detunings a lot, don't do it inside the Helix. The algorithms aren't good enough for that and are introducing plenty of latency. If you only use it very ocassionally, you might be fine.

I think they're pretty on par with a Whammy DT. 

Not that either are THAT good. 

There's probably a lot more features that need to be considered than just the basic tones you're interested in.  For example, what kind of setup will you be using?  Direct to the mixing board or 4cm through an amp?  How complex would the changes be within the type of material you're playing?  Will you be using it for live or also for recording?  How will you be rehearsing with it at home?

The fact is this decision is a lot more about the eco system you intend to setup than just the individual box.