Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone have a complete collection of factory setlist backups for the Floor & Stomp, for each update version?

enteleform

I just wrote a script to find the most recent version of each preset by name, which also shows presets that did not carry over from previous versions.

Currently only have Floor:[2.9, 3.0, 3.5] and Stomp:[3.5].

PS: if anyone from Line 6 sees this, please consider creating an all-device, all-version, all-setlists post; similar to
https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/helix-30-factory-setlists-r964/

Presets.png

On 11/20/2022 at 3:08 PM, enteleform said:

PS: if anyone from Line 6 sees this

Hi,

There are no Line staff here and only very occasionally do they visit these forums - See the “sticky comment” in the black banner stripe at the top of this page entitled “Welcome to the Line 6 forums”

This link is where you need to go to have any hope of it been seen by anyone from Line 6:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

Before posting any new ideas, please do a search to see if it's already been listed. Multiple requests for the same thing will thin out the votes. Also, post your ideas one at a time. Many users don’t vote for combined suggestions.

You should use this thread to let other users know what your suggestions are, with links to IdeaScale, so they can vote on it if they wish.

https://line6.com/support/topic/14497-helix-ideascale-community-submissions/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Afterthought - why on earth would anyone ever need this information?
The Helix is an ever evolving item. What it can do now is far more relevant than any preset the happened to be in Firmware version 1.06.5 from 2016.
Must be one for the "completists".

Edited by datacommando
Typo
  • Thanks 1

There is this thread from way back - when Digital Igloo posted his favourite “All Presets Suck” tee shirt.

Follow the link that I posted in that thread which refers to the lists of changes in presets in different firmware versions.

http://benvesco.com/store/line-6-helix/

Hope this helps in your quest, (which could be eternal)

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 1:39 PM, datacommando said:

Follow the link that I posted in that thread which refers to the lists of changes in presets in different firmware versions.

Ah dope, thanks! His preset new/deleted list is similar to what I'm working on, also found a setlist backup of 2.8.

On 11/20/2022 at 12:59 PM, PierM said:

What's the point exactly? Im genuinely curious...

A few things.

To notice when presets are added / deleted between updates, so that I can make sure to check out the new ones and migrate ones that I want to keep. For example, my favorite factory preset "Buck Texas" was removed in 3.5, but I had to skim through all the presets to figure that out. Now I can just run a script and be informed of the change without having to expend any time/effort.

Beyond that, I'll be expanding the script to poll all of the version backups for specific presets to build a setlist from the latest versions of those presets. This is useful in cases like we just experienced, where 3.5 updated many presets to use the new cab engine. This way, I can have a filtered down setlist of my favorite factory presets (also 3rd party presets) automatically generated and kept up to date.

On 11/21/2022 at 8:43 AM, enteleform said:

A few things.

To notice when presets are added / deleted between updates, so that I can make sure to check out the new ones and migrate ones that I want to keep. For example, my favorite factory preset "Buck Texas" was removed in 3.5, but I had to skim through all the presets to figure that out. Now I can just run a script and be informed of the change without having to expend any time/effort.

Beyond that, I'll be expanding the script to poll all of the version backups for specific presets to build a setlist from the latest versions of those presets. This is useful in cases like we just experienced, where 3.5 updated many presets to use the new cab engine. This way, I can have a filtered down setlist of my favorite factory presets (also 3rd party presets) automatically generated and kept up to date.

Fair enough. 

I never used a stock preset since 2015, but if I were doing so, I would just move those I want to use - to my own Setlist, so they couldn't go anywhere and stay safe from any L6 action, other than being saved in the local backups.

• Upvote 2

On 11/21/2022 at 7:43 AM, enteleform said:

For example, my favorite factory preset "Buck Texas" was removed in 3.5, but I had to skim through all the presets to figure that out.

Hi,

I’m with @PierM on this one regarding Factory Presets. Since acquiring my Helix back in 2016, I have never used them, or ever felt any need to use them. I would rather spend my time actually using my Helix to produce sounds, than make a list of something I will never need.

Make back up copies of any Factory Presets that you particularly like, then flush the rest to free up 256 slots for the really good stuff that you make. The sonic improvements made since the release of the Helix, would essentially make anything from prior to the present Core update in the latest firmware rather pointless. It will just be a list of meaningless names, as shown in your .json text file. I really don’t understand this - it seems to be along similar lines to the “Let’s put real Names to the Presets” thread started back in 2016 by the aptly named “MusicGeek”. (See link)

As noted on many occasions by Digital Igloo, (Eric Klein, Chief Product Design Architect at Yamaha Guitar Group, Inc. / Line 6 / Ampeg) - “All Presets Suck!”

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

After Importing any previous version Presets into your Presets List ALWAYS do a Power-On Presets Rebuild to assure all Presets are converted to and fully compliant with the currently installed Firmware Version!

See: HelixHelp.com for the proper Press and Hold Footswitch power on combination for the Presets Rebuild for your Helix Device.

• Upvote 2

Don't really get the "I don't use factory presets", "I do things _X_ way" arguments... Some people do find factory presets to be helpful for one reason or another. Different people have different reasons for owning a Helix, as well as different interests and use cases for working with it.

As mentioned, I'm interested in noticing when factory presets are added/changed/removed, without having to expend any manual effort on doing so. For example, the "DLX CHRIS BUCK" preset was replaced with "Buck Mild", where some models/parameters/routings were changed. Because I'm aware of this, I can now A/B the two presets and explore how/why Chris Buck, an artist that I follow, chose to update his preset and potentially learn something in the process.

My workflow involves many setlists/presets including factory, 3rd party, and custom. These are backed up, organized, and version controlled; so there is no worry of finite space. They are used in different contexts. Jams, production, exploration, inspiration, replication, etc. Sometimes I might want to dig into tweaking models/parameters/etc., sometimes I might want to have a filtered down selection of presets that I've already vetted to select from, and sometimes I might want to find something new/different/specific.

I share the same sentiment @  “Let’s put real Names to the Presets/Models”. Some people will find that helpful for their workflow. The primary reason they're not labeled as such in the first place is legal reasons, not practical reasons. What benefit is there to people having to learn a brand new set of names for something they are already familiar with? It's a hinderance to workflow, as it prevents them from using domain knowledge that they've accumulated over years and instead have to either create a mental/physical mapping of real names to legally-allowed names, or spend time building familiarity with the models from scratch.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:38 AM, enteleform said:

Don't really get the "I don't use factory presets", "I do things _X_ way" arguments... Some people do find factory presets to be helpful for one reason or another. Different people have different reasons for owning a Helix, as well as different interests and use cases for working with it.

There was no judgment in that statement. At all. :)

On 11/22/2022 at 3:38 AM, enteleform said:

I'm interested in noticing when factory presets are added/changed/removed… 

I share the same sentiment @  “Let’s put real Names to the Presets/Models.

Similar to stamp collecting - one man’s junk is another man’s treasure.

It has been discussed at length in these threads, many times over. The simple facts remain that unless you are using the exact same equipment, in the exact same environment as the guy who created the preset, it will never sound correct. Guitar type, pickup type, string gauge, playing technique, monitors et al, will all change the sound of the supposed “Real Name Preset”. They are purely and simply a novelty.

We will have to agree to disagree.