Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects - external switch instead on expression pedal

dschaaf

Hi, Just wondering if it is possible to use one of the exp inputs for a switch as opposed to an expression pedal. What I am wanting to accomplish id to be in stomp mode with all 6 stomps showing (with ability to stomp on/off) but to be able to also access the looper screen. I thought the external switch might be able to pull that up. Otherwise I have to forego one stomp and use that button as the access to the looper?

Thanks,

Derek 

On 12/24/2022 at 1:21 PM, dschaaf said:

Hi, Just wondering if it is possible to use one of the exp inputs for a switch as opposed to an expression pedal. What I am wanting to accomplish id to be in stomp mode with all 6 stomps showing (with ability to stomp on/off) but to be able to also access the looper screen. I thought the external switch might be able to pull that up. Otherwise I have to forego one stomp and use that button as the access to the looper?

Thanks,

Derek 

Hi, Derek,

From looking at the manual for the HX Effects, it would appear that this is not possible. Unlike the HX Stomp which is designed to accept an external footswitch, the FX unit only connects expression pedals, or can be used to switch channels on an amplifier. 

If you want to access the onboard Looper functions of the FX, you could use MIDi to do this. Check the Owner’s Manual > Page 49 > MIDI. There are a set of MIDI CC messages specifically to control the Looper.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a411710a6112a67116f0b/application/pdf/HX Effects 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev C - English .pdf

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 12/24/2022 at 8:43 AM, datacommando said:

Hi, Derek,

From looking at the manual for the HX Effects, it would appear that this is not possible. Unlike the HX Stomp which is designed to accept an external footswitch, the FX unit only connects expression pedals, or can be used to switch channels on an amplifier. 

If you want to access the onboard Looper functions of the FX, you could use MIDi to do this. Check the Owner’s Manual > Page 49 > MIDI. There are a set of MIDI CC messages specifically to control the Looper.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a411710a6112a67116f0b/application/pdf/HX Effects 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev C - English .pdf

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Great thanks, I will check that out. Very much appreciated and have a great Christmas!

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2022 at 8:21 AM, dschaaf said:

Thanks,

Derek 

Derek, if you just want an extra Footswitch to do the same kinds of things an Expression Pedal can do, then this works:

https://www.ehx.com/products/cntl-knob/

I have it connected to my 2nd EXP in connector.

I use it to toggle between say, 1/4 note and dotted-1/4 note delay times on a delay.

You can use it to toggle between two states - like it could control the Fast/Slow of a Rotary effect, or the Vibrato/Chorus switch on a Chorus, and things like that.

I just tried it and you can't Engage or Disengage the Looper with it (thank you yet again L6...)

You can only change parameters of the Looper with it. All it will allow you to change are the Playback, Overdub, Hi Cut and Lo Cut parmeters (the volumes of those first two, or the frequencies of the latter two).

But that's it unfortunately.

On 12/24/2022 at 7:29 PM, z3albw1rr said:

Derek, if you just want an extra Footswitch to do the same kinds of things an Expression Pedal can do, then this works:

https://www.ehx.com/products/cntl-knob/

I have it connected to my 2nd EXP in connector.

I use it to toggle between say, 1/4 note and dotted-1/4 note delay times on a delay.

You can use it to toggle between two states - like it could control the Fast/Slow of a Rotary effect, or the Vibrato/Chorus switch on a Chorus, and things like that.

I just tried it and you can't Engage or Disengage the Looper with it (thank you yet again L6...)

You can only change parameters of the Looper with it. All it will allow you to change are the Playback, Overdub, Hi Cut and Lo Cut parmeters (the volumes of those first two, or the frequencies of the latter two).

But that's it unfortunately.

Great, thanks very much for the info!

On 12/27/2022 at 9:56 AM, TLF2007 said:

Why couldn't you design a 2PDT that mimics the sweep from one resistance to another depending on what side of the switch you are on? I'm sure there is a reason, just curious.

^^^ this ^^^ is my solution. It is easy, it is cheap, & it works! 

Simply add a 10K resistor across the open or closed output of a switch... it then mimics a Line 6 EXP in "Heel down/Toe down".