Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DSP overload?

RhoadesDoug

Admittedly, i am very new to this and growing increasingly frustrated. I spent many hours yesterday trying to build some presets. I thought I was successful and saved them, only to discover today that they are all gone, apparently due to some kind of dsp overload error or something of the sort. Today any kind of presets that do remain will only load in HX Edit if i select them with the device (and they no longer have any names or anything). Today, HX Edit wont even show  much of anything as far as preset names or anything. I seem to have lost all my work. Is the answer that i have to constantly "back up" evrything to avoid loss of work? What the hell is DSP overload?? How is that prevented? Or is it already time to put this thing on Ebay? 

On 2/5/2023 at 5:00 PM, RhoadesDoug said:

Admittedly, i am very new to this and growing increasingly frustrated.

Hi,

It's a great help to know exactly what Helix hardware device you have and the version of the firmware that's installed, along with details of your computer and operating system, plus any "error code"displayed by your system.

Help us to help you.

First up, - What the hell is DSP overload?

As in - "Failed to get preset names. Operation failed due to DSP overload. [code -8611]". Now all your presets are blank? That would seem to indicate that you may not be running the same revision numbers of HX Edit and the Firmware that is installed in your hardware product.

O.K let's try this - perform a factory reset of your hardware! As you failed to say what it is that you are using I suggest that you go here and scroll through to the appropriate reference and follow the instructions given there.

https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/reset-options

I would also advise you to ensure that both your HX Edit and Firmware are the latest versions.

Furthermore, you really should take advantage of the downloadable Owner's Manual for each of the Helix family of products to avoid any more catastrophes.

Remember, it's a computer, if it can go wrong - it will. It's not a question of it it goes wrong - it's a question of when! Let's face it, you wouldn't buy a Learjet and expect to fly it without a few flying lessons first. YouTube is full of "how to" with Helix videos.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2023 at 7:00 PM, RhoadesDoug said:

Admittedly, i am very new to this and growing increasingly frustrated. I spent many hours yesterday trying to build some presets. I thought I was successful and saved them, only to discover today that they are all gone, apparently due to some kind of dsp overload error or something of the sort. Today any kind of presets that do remain will only load in HX Edit if i select them with the device (and they no longer have any names or anything). Today, HX Edit wont even show  much of anything as far as preset names or anything. I seem to have lost all my work. Is the answer that i have to constantly "back up" evrything to avoid loss of work? What the hell is DSP overload?? How is that prevented? Or is it already time to put this thing on Ebay?  

DSP overload occurs when the processing demands exceed the capabilities of the DSP hardware or software. This can happen if you're using too many effects or processing-intensive plugins in your presets. To prevent DSP overload, you can:

• Use less processor-intensive effects or plugins.
  • Monitor your DSP usage within your digital audio workstation to ensure you're not exceeding its capabilities.
  • Consider upgrading your hardware if it consistently struggles with DSP overload.

On 2/5/2023 at 12:00 PM, RhoadesDoug said:

…. apparently due to some kind of dsp overload error or something of the sort. ….

Please describe why you think it’s related to DSP overload. Was there some sort of error message? Did you create the presets on the same Helix device that they have disappeared on? 

As @MGW-Alberta says, you normally cannot create a preset that causes DSP overload. The DSP nanny is there to prevent that by greying out the block selections that would cause it.

The actual issue may be something else entirely.

On 2/8/2024 at 12:32 PM, Yiwone9 said:

DSP overload occurs when the processing demands exceed the capabilities of the DSP hardware or software. This can happen if you're using too many effects or processing-intensive plugins in your presets. To prevent DSP overload, you can:

• Monitor your DSP usage within your digital audio workstation to ensure you're not exceeding its capabilities.
  • Consider upgrading your hardware if it consistently struggles with DSP overload.

None of that is relevant in this case as we're talking about a Helix hardware unit with dedicated firmware DSP processors, not a DAW or computer based processing of plugins.

On 2/8/2024 at 5:32 PM, Yiwone9 said:

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!

Hi,

As pointed out by @DunedinDragon in the post above, none of your comment is of any relevance to the OP's issue, which is to do with the internal DSP onboard a Helix hardware device - he didn't clarify which one.

Plus he never responded to my request for more information, way back in FEB 2023. It is probably even less relevant as he only ever made 2 posts and it's likely he put the thing on Ebay as he stated.

Hope this helps/makes sense to everyone else who fell into this crazy time warp!

On 2/13/2024 at 11:37 AM, MGW-Alberta said:

I don't use Native so I don't know anything from personal experience but as I understand it DSP limitations in Native are related to computer memory limits.  Is it possible the OP somehow managed to drag a huge Native file into Helix?  Is that a thing?  I don't know.  I don't use Native.

Yes, that’s possible. That’s why I asked earlier if he had created the preset on the device he’s using when reporting the issue here. But as head been pointed out he’s probably no longer watching here. I just thought I’d answer your question. 

On 2/13/2024 at 4:37 PM, MGW-Alberta said:

I don't use Native so I don't know anything from personal experience but as I understand it DSP limitations in Native are related to computer memory limits.  Is it possible the OP somehow managed to drag a huge Native file into Helix?  Is that a thing?  I don't know.  I don't use Native.

Hi,

From the vague description given by the OP, my guess was he was trying to indicate an error which has shown up here quite a few times going back to pre version 3.0 firmware.

"Failed to get preset names. Operation failed due to DSP overload. [code -8611]"

Here's an example regarding this error occurring after FW 2.92 installation.

The OP never came back to confirm or deny this, but hey, it doesn't matter now. 

As for HX Native, I have never had it run out of DSP in Logic Pro on my Mac with 32GB RAM. and I have had several instances of Native open at the same time. Even though it is possible to create a monster preset in Native, it will only ever work within Native due to the limitations of the "Hardware Compatibility" option built into HX Native.

Maybe time to put this baby back to bed.

Yes the file extensions are the same and so you can drag/drop a hardware incompatible preset into HX Edit. That would be trapped by HX Edit which would fail to load the preset/file, and would probably generate the error message above - or something similar.

On 2/13/2024 at 7:51 PM, MGW-Alberta said:

Okay I agree but before we do can we clarify one thing for me please?

For my own knowledge.

Are Native file extensions the same as Helix file extensions?

If so that could possibly account for having the ability to drag an inappropriate file to a device that does not support it.

Nope - it’s not possible to drag a Preset that exceeds the compatibility mode limits into another device - only Native can load these type of files when HC mode is Off.

Here ya go - from the Helix Native Pilot’s Guide.

“Since the engine of Helix Native is essentially the same as the one utilized in all Line 6 Helix and HX products, we’ve made things even more flexible within Helix Native by offering Hardware Compatibility modes (HC modes), to emulate Helix (Helix, Helix Rack, and Helix LT) and HX (HX Stomp XL, HX Stomp, and HX Effects) devices, as well as Preset Translation. As covered in the following sections, these features provide the ability to share presets between Helix Native and all Helix and HX devices, allowing you to greatly expand your library of Helix Native tones.

IMPORTANT! Presets saved or exported from Helix Native, HX Edit, and Helix/HX devices version 3.50 (or later versions) are not compatible with earlier versions. We highly recommend exporting and keeping backup copies of all your presets before updating to the latest software or firmware version.

TIP: The HC mode can also be turned Off, which means you can construct a preset in Helix Native using as many blocks as will fit on its signal paths, regardless of block type (Amps, Cabs, IRs, and Effects) and DSP usage, effectively “unleashing” Helix Native from any per-instance DSP limits!”

Then it explains if you have HC Off.

Off - Once a preset is saved in, or exported from, Helix Native in this HC mode setting, the preset can be loaded or imported into Helix Native in this mode setting with no translation required. When set to Off, the UI and options are essentially the same as the Helix HC mode, but with several restrictions removed (see the "HC Mode Feature Comparison Table").

Just remember when working in this Off mode—with greater power comes greater responsibility! Without the restrictions imposed as in other HC modes, it is possible to create a preset in a single plugin instance that can place significant CPU demands on your computer system. Creating a preset that exceeds the limits of other HC modes also means the preset will not be able to be translated and utilized in HX Edit with any Helix or HX device and only loaded in Helix Native when it is set to the HC mode Off state.

This guy was having enough issues trying to figure out a hardware device. Good job he didn’t get let loose with Native.

Anyhow, he neither knows, nor cares, about any of this - one year on from a post he never followed up!