Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cab/mic suggestions - 2000's hard rock style music

themetallikid

Ok, I'm not lazy, I have my cab/mic faves for some stuff that I do, but I'm looking for suggestions on where to start with this style (It's been awhile since I've done this stuff).  

I'm figuring I will end up using the Badonk amp (other suggestions?) mainly because of its lower DSP requirements.  I like to dual cabs, I figure a dual cab would save me DSP over dual amps, however...I would love to run dual amps into a dual cab as well, so .....   open to ideas on that.   

I plan on running a preset/per song approach, as some will require the poly block to drop tune some things, so that is where the amp idea came from.  I'd love to pair the VItriol with the Badonk or two Vitriols, just not sure I'd have room with the Poly block involved as well.

So, what suggestions do you have?  I usually gravitate (old cabs) towards a 160/57 combination, with the new cabs it's been the (I think?) a 121/57 combination with the 121 on a mesa v30 4x12 and the 57 on a marshal v30 4x12.  

I'd like to keep a consistent amp setup for sounds rather than grabbing amps for each song/artist sound.  The lesser tones like cleans and gritty stuff I can find easy enough, but the bulk of the tones are the heavier sounds.  

I'm at work and looking for distraction...lol.  

First 7 songs on our list to go over as reference are:

Godsmack - Whatever

Nickelback - FIgured You Out

Nickelback - Animals

Drowning Pool - Bodies

Three Days Grace - Break

Papa Roach - Last Resort

Marilyn Manson - Beautiful People

White Zombie - More Human Than Human

Interesting..

I've started using the 2204 with a tube screamer and horizon drive in front (gain at 0) then dual cabs - Uber 4x2 + greenback 4x12.

I'm using this as an overall go to patch for high gain, but the new dual cabs are giving a tighter low end, can even be cleaned up further with a 10 band eq 

taking out the bottom 2 frequencies.

What's nice about the two gain pedals in front is that you can get a more traditional high gain sound with the 808 on and the horizon off, but with the horizon on also, you get a darker sound without it being muddy or boomy.

Don't know if the 2204 is heavy enough for everything on that list but I might try dropping your badonk in the chain instead and seeing what that's like. I imaging that amp is going to need a bit of tweaking on the bottom end though

Yeah I favor the 2204 Mod over the 'regular' 2204, but I get where your going with that.  The mid freq control on the mod can help darken/thicken things up with slight adjustments.  I also get what your saying for the OD's in front.  

I set the preset up this morning (visually only, I'll plug in and tweak tonight after my trivia date) but I was able to fit a ton of tone possibilities in my preset to use as a template.  

I added in chain order:

Path 1a

Poly Tune

Wah - Fassel

Phaser - Script

Chorus

Deluxe Comp

OD - Timmy (this may change but this would be to help with my clean amp to get from clean to pushed type sounds, not high gain beasts)

OD - TS808 (I love this as a lead OD, it loosens the tone a bit in a way other OD's dont)

Split 1a>2a, 1b>2b

2a - 10 band EQ (only for trying Craig's EQ clarity trick, havent tried it yet, these may get removed)

2a - Line 6 Badonk

2a - Mesa EQ (if it will fit, have not tried yet)

Split/Merge

2b - 10 band EQ (only for trying Craig's EQ clarity trick, havent tried it yet, these may get removed)

2b - Vitriol Crunch (not sure if I need the heavier version or not, thinking probably not with a dual amp sound)

2b - Mesa EQ (if it will fit, have not tried yet)

Split/Merge

Dual Cab - Marshall Greenback 25 4x12/57 mic, cap edge, on axis, high cut down to 6.5khz, Mesa V30 4x12/121 mic, 3.5 from center, on axis, high cut down to 6.5khz

Stereo Chorus

Volume Pedal for swells (may not be needed)

Stereo Simple Delay

I know I will not need all of this on every preset, but if I can dial in all my sounds using this 'template' then it'll be easier to remove whats not needed and sprinking in song specific effects instead of frankenstein'ing each preset and trying to get them to match.  This will (once dialed in) provide a great template to save favorites to then use in building song presets.   

Still open to ideas on what to try, again that was all by eyes only and my own experience with what I think I'd like.  I did not play anything...on paper, I think it covers most everything.

For those bands I'd probably start with a dual Cali 4x12 and some combination of a 57, 421, 121 or 160 maybe? I like using a single Revv Red or Vitriol Lead myself and the Cali seems to work pretty well with both of them. Not sure how it'll mesh with your sweet dual amp setup but it could be worth a try.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 2:29 PM, themetallikid said:

Yeah I favor the 2204 Mod over the 'regular' 2204, but I get where your going with that.  The mid freq control on the mod can help darken/thicken things up with slight adjustments.  I also get what your saying for the OD's in front.  

I set the preset up this morning (visually only, I'll plug in and tweak tonight after my trivia date) but I was able to fit a ton of tone possibilities in my preset to use as a template.  

I added in chain order:

Path 1a

Poly Tune

Wah - Fassel

Phaser - Script

Chorus

Deluxe Comp

OD - Timmy (this may change but this would be to help with my clean amp to get from clean to pushed type sounds, not high gain beasts)

OD - TS808 (I love this as a lead OD, it loosens the tone a bit in a way other OD's dont)

Split 1a>2a, 1b>2b

2a - 10 band EQ (only for trying Craig's EQ clarity trick, havent tried it yet, these may get removed)

2a - Line 6 Badonk

2a - Mesa EQ (if it will fit, have not tried yet)

Split/Merge

2b - 10 band EQ (only for trying Craig's EQ clarity trick, havent tried it yet, these may get removed)

2b - Vitriol Crunch (not sure if I need the heavier version or not, thinking probably not with a dual amp sound)

2b - Mesa EQ (if it will fit, have not tried yet)

Split/Merge

Dual Cab - Marshall Greenback 25 4x12/57 mic, cap edge, on axis, high cut down to 6.5khz, Mesa V30 4x12/121 mic, 3.5 from center, on axis, high cut down to 6.5khz

Stereo Chorus

Volume Pedal for swells (may not be needed)

Stereo Simple Delay

I know I will not need all of this on every preset, but if I can dial in all my sounds using this 'template' then it'll be easier to remove whats not needed and sprinking in song specific effects instead of frankenstein'ing each preset and trying to get them to match.  This will (once dialed in) provide a great template to save favorites to then use in building song presets.   

Still open to ideas on what to try, again that was all by eyes only and my own experience with what I think I'd like.  I did not play anything...on paper, I think it covers most everything.

Yep I've done the same approach myself like the above. Basically made a template with most of what you've listed, and I just duplicate it but drop in different amps, so I have that same preset with all of the high gain amps. It's a really quick way of auditioning various amps and cabs too. The rev gen red surprised me when I dropped that in to one of my duplicated presets, I've never used it before but in my template preset it sounds really good.

I have noticed that you can have the same blocks in a certain arrangement in a chain and it sounds pretty good, but if you move certain blocks around, sometimes even just something like moving a reverb the other side of a delay or something, it can change the character of the tone, and you notice. Another good reason to use the template approach you're doing.

On 3/1/2023 at 7:28 AM, Paulzx said:

Yep I've done the same approach myself like the above. Basically made a template with most of what you've listed, and I just duplicate it but drop in different amps, so I have that same preset with all of the high gain amps. It's a really quick way of auditioning various amps and cabs too. The rev gen red surprised me when I dropped that in to one of my duplicated presets, I've never used it before but in my template preset it sounds really good.

I have noticed that you can have the same blocks in a certain arrangement in a chain and it sounds pretty good, but if you move certain blocks around, sometimes even just something like moving a reverb the other side of a delay or something, it can change the character of the tone, and you notice. Another good reason to use the template approach you're doing.

Yes for sure.  I recently saw a vid where the guy was doing more an analog signal chain where all effects were between the amp and cab vs. the studio of 'post' effects after the cab.  I've love the Dynamic Ambience block...and may try it last in the chain before the cab and see how that changes things as well.  

The Revv amp(s) I love the sound from it, however when I've dialed in song presets it seems to be less favored verses others.   Usually I was trying to match the tone/feel of the original more than 'my' tone.  Maybe in this project I'll use it more where I'm thinking I'll use more 'my' tone rather than dialing in the song's tone.  

On 3/1/2023 at 8:55 AM, themetallikid said:

Yes for sure.  I recently saw a vid where the guy was doing more an analog signal chain where all effects were between the amp and cab vs. the studio of 'post' effects after the cab.  I've love the Dynamic Ambience block...and may try it last in the chain before the cab and see how that changes things as well.  

I'd probably keep the dynamic reverb post cab but that's just because of how I use it. I approach it like a room mic, so it's not something I'd be running thru a cab in real life. But the rule goes "if it sounds good it is good" so keep us posted on which way works best with your setup!