Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newb HX Effects Question - Send Only Time Based/Modulation Effects To Amp Effects Loop, Route Dirt/Boost Pedals To Amp Front Input

skiman1

Hi Forum, This is a newbie HX effects question, and know this question must have been asked 100000000 times so I apologize in advance, and I've read a few of the forums here but still don't get it/or/didn't address my simple situation.

My setup is simple. I'm using the HX Effects with a Marshall style amp using the 4 cable method. I want to place the HX Effects verb, delay, chorus, (the typical things you want in the amps loop), but route the HX Effects gain, boost effects to the front end of the amp.

I've used the Nux Cerberus previously and it was laid out with dedicates in's and outs specifically for this and loved it, simple! I upgraded to the HX Effects to have more effect options.

null
Do I have to create routing to do this?

Again, thank you in advance, Peace!

The 4 cable method provides the physical routing that you need for this. Configure your preset so that all the gain, boost etc pedals you want sent to the amp are placed before the FX Loop block in your preset. Place your post amp FX blocks after the preset's FX Loop. That's exactly what 4CM is designed to do.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 10:24 AM, MayPRS said:

Yep, got that far and more, then the manual falls off the proverbial cliff LOL!

"Look for the included factory presets titled with “4CM” to use as your starting template, or you can build your own by adding an FX Loop block (see “Choosing an Effect”).

If I click the link to go to the "Choosing an Effect" page, it doesn't really going into much about assigning an effect to any specific routing and I've skimmed the whole manual a few times and nothing jumps out to explain "how to".

Going to look at some videos, gotta be better than this manual, thanks man!

On 3/13/2023 at 11:50 AM, skiman1 said:

I will then assume the presets titled with 4CM already have the proper routing assigned to like "types" of effects?

You won’t need to assume. They key element of the routing in 4CM presets is the position of the FX Loop. Regardless of type of effect, those that appear before the FX Loop are sent to the physical amp’s preamp section and those that follow it aren’t. Examine the preset in terms of specific FX blocks before and after the FX Loop and decide for yourself whether you agree with the positioning for each ‘type’ of block. Remember, there are no rules about FX placement so there’s really no ‘proper’ placement/routing. Whatever sounds good to you is proper for you.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 10:24 AM, silverhead said:

The 4 cable method provides the physical routing that you need for this. Configure your preset so that all the gain, boost etc pedals you want sent to the amp are placed before the FX Loop block in your preset. Place your post amp FX blocks after the preset's FX Loop. That's exactly what 4CM is designed to do.

Just watching some videos, there's nowhere in the manual they explain this like you have, but there is a Line 6 video that does, I guess video is the way to go to make up for shortcomings of the manual. I appreciate the input!

On 3/13/2023 at 3:50 PM, skiman1 said:

Yep, got that far and more, then the manual falls off the proverbial cliff LOL!

Hi,

That’s not quite correct - it says: “Look for the included factory presets titled with “4CM” to use as your starting template…” and that is exactly what you needed to do.

There are a whole bunch of Factory Presets available with a title that includes “4CM”. Those are example starting points for you to chop and change and roll your own, as explained in the rest of the quote: “…you can build your own by adding an FX Loop block (see “Choosing an Effect”).” The reference to Choosing an Effect, is where you find out information on how to add an effect block of your choice - a Send Return/FX Loop block for example. Simplicity itself!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/13/2023 at 12:43 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

That’s not quite correct - it says: “Look for the included factory presets titled with “4CM” to use as your starting template…” and that is exactly what you needed to do.

There are a whole bunch of Factory Presets available with a title that includes “4CM”. Those are example starting points for you to chop and change and roll your own, as explained in the rest of the quote: “…you can build your own by adding an FX Loop block (see “Choosing an Effect”).” The reference to Choosing an Effect, is where you find out information on how to add an effect block of your choice - a Send Return/FX Loop block for example. Simplicity itself!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Yep, I got that, thanks!

Still, no other mention of how to do it from scratch in the whole manual, editing a preset is not the same, and a bit clunky.
Anywho, is what it is. Line 6 obviously realized the shortcoming and made a short video shortly after it came to market.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 5:29 PM, skiman1 said:

Still, no other mention of how to do it from scratch in the whole manual, editing a preset is not the same, and a bit clunky.
Anywho, is what it is. Line 6 obviously realized the shortcoming and made a short video shortly after it came to market.

Yeah, but just consider how much better you feel, now that you figured it out on your own.

;-)

• Like 1