Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bergantino SuperPre and HX Stomp

Philbertus

HI - semi-noob here with what may be a common question - or maybe not...

I'm a bass player and until recently used my HXS as the core of my ampless rig, which I use 90% of the time. 

I recently acquired a Bergantino Super Pre (BSP) which I want to use as my primary ampless rig. But, I want to continue to use the FX patches I've built in my HXS. The BSP has an effects loop and I thought it would be straightforward to use that to link in the HXS, but I can't get it to work properly. I connected the BSP send to the HXS return and the HXS send to the BSP return. I made the BSP FX loop was enabled. I placed a send/return block before the effects in the HXS. I get some sound when I engage an effect, but it's quite quiet and I can't get it loud enough to be useable. Further, when I turn the effect off, I don't get any output at all - my bass goes away entirely. 

In my aged and slightly damaged brain, I envisioned being able to use the HXS as an ordinary effect pedal, but I'm not getting there.

I really don't want to abandon the HXS in favor of standalone effects pedals. Can someone wiser than I please talk me through this?

Thanks, 

Phil

Using FX Loop L?

Global Settings Ins/Outs>Send/Return L = Inst?

SEND>1/4"TS cable>BSP IN>BSP Out>1/4"TS cable>Return L?

OR (better)

FX Send L (Dry Thru -120db); FX Return R

Global Settings Ins/Outs>Send/Return L = Inst; Send/Return R = Line

SEND>1/4"TS cable>BSP IN>BSP Out>1/4"TS cable>Return R?

On 4/14/2023 at 8:57 PM, Philbertus said:

I connected the BSP send to the HXS return and the HXS send to the BSP return. I made the BSP FX loop was enabled. I placed a send/return block before the effects in the HXS.

That can't work. The HX send to BSP return connection doesn't do anything in this case.

If you plug your instrument in the BSP's Instrument In then you don't need the FX loop functionality of the HX.

BSP Send -> HX In, HX Out -> BSP Return

I've just re-read the OP. I'm confused as to what you want to do.

You said that you wanted to "use the HXS as an ordinary effect pedal" which, to me, means FX before and after your pre-amp.

However, after having a look at the product page for the BSP (I can't find a manual), I can see that in order to provide you with the best connection method I need to know more about your usage.

The BSP Input allows for impedances of up to 10M. If you are only using typical bass guitar pickups then you don't need to be plugged directly into the BSP's input, and you can use the directions as I described. The drawback here is that, since the BSP does not have MIDI, for each of the BSP's tonal "scenes", unless the HXS FX are intended to remain static (kind of a waste - you might as well use traditional pedals), you'd need to also manually change the Snapshots on the HXS. Again, I'd need to know more about your intended usage/expectations.

The only reason I can see to use the BSP's FX Loop would be if you are using normal standalone FX and want to use the BSP's "scenes" to switch those FX in/out of the signal chain. If BOTH of the above are TRUE, then you would configure the HXS like this:

Guitar>BSP Input>BSP FX SEND>HXS INPUT>HXS L/MONO Output>BSP FX RETURN

The HXS FX Loop would not be required in that case, and you would configure the HXS I/O depending upon the levels required by the BSP per the BSP manual that I can't find.

When/if you reply to this, please be as specific as possible about your intended usage and expectations.

• 1 year later...
On 8/4/2024 at 8:00 PM, jackzucker said:

why do you need to use both? What does the bergantino do that the HX does not do? The HX has a ton of EQ options as well as better overdrives and time based effects. I guess I'm not seeing the point.

Hi,

I don’t think you will get a response from the OP, as he only ever made the two posts in this thread, over a year back.

Maybe he figured out that he only really needed the HX Stomp, which was what he originally had for his ampless rig.

• Like 1