Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Crackling/clipping sound from amp blocks

Windrider0187

Hi all,

I updated my helix floor to latest version but I notice that I am getting a crackling/clipping/unpleasant distortion happening over/in the background of my sound. 
Some things I noticed:

- when I play my guitar through a completely empty patch the sound is clear as a bell.

- when I insert an amp block (any) I get a horrible crackling/fizzy/clipping sound. 
- adding a cab block alleviates it but I can still hear the exact same crackling in the background, like the clean or horrible sounds are coming through together. 
- i didn’t have this problem previously
- it seems to be getting worse over time, which is odd

- it very obvious when using headphones (almost unuseable), less so when plugging into the effects return of an amp, but still noticeable. 
- I changing setting including master volume, channel volume, bias, etc…nothing works. 

Is this is software issue? Should I reset and reinstall latest software? 

I saw some similar comments on other forums but can’t seem to locate any solutions. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

cheers 

Try one of the factory presets -- still the same result? 

I'm just suggesting that maybe it's your choice of an amp / settings of the amp that can be doing this?  It's entirely possible to create a preset that will sound noisy/harsh and absolutely unusable especially with single coil pickups.  So let's start from the beginning to ensure it's not user error first. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/14/2024 at 11:40 AM, nolman said:

Did you ever resolve this ?

My helix is unusable via headphones, monitors or usb.

Only through an amp is somewhat ok.

thnx!

If you're using your Helix with a DAW, then try a higher buffer setting.

If you're not, disconnect the USB cable and see if the noise stops.

If not, check all of your cables and maybe try a different guitar.

If that doesn't fix it perform a Full Factory Reset (don't forget to backup first!).

If that doesn't fix it open a support ticket.

It's probably caused by EMI.

Likely noise from a laptop, PC or other fast switching device is picked up by the guitar.

If it crackles with nothing plugged in HX's input this would be a software problem.

To prove it's not: disengage the input block's Gate, connect a guitar and completely close it's volume pot.

The noise you now hear - if any - is the noise floor. If there is a problem with this noise floor that is probably a ground issue - often a ground loop via USB.

If the noise is only appearing when you open up the guitar's volume: EMI.