Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The right Y cable to connect 2 expression pedals to the HX Stomp.

mendeslh

Hello everybody. I'm trying to connect 2 expression pedals to the hx stomp (M audio exp and Roland EV5). Both have their own TRS cables and plugs. I bought a Y adapter with TRS output and inputs. But the pedals don't work properly together. They don't work from "0 to 100" in the parameters. Alone they work well in HX. This Y cable should be with a TRS output and 2 TS inputs? I was with this doubt! (I've tried all kinds of configuration, polarity reversal etc). Thank you all!

On 6/17/2023 at 11:43 PM, mendeslh said:
Hello everybody. I'm trying to connect 2 expression pedals to the hx stomp (M audio exp and Roland EV5). Both have their own TRS cables and plugs. I bought a Y adapter with TRS output and inputs. But the pedals don't work properly together. They don't work from "0 to 100" in the parameters. Alone they work well in HX. This Y cable should be with a TRS output and 2 TS inputs? I was with this doubt! (I've tried all kinds of configuration, polarity reversal etc). Thank you all!

Hi,

See the reply from @codamedia in this thread:

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 6/18/2023 at 10:27 AM, gbr13697 said:

It won't work.  The HX Stomp only has one expression input.  It can't tell the difference between 2 pedals connected via a Y cable, and will simply read the total/average of whatever combination it sees.

You may want to read the HX Stomp 3.0 Owner’s Manual- Rev D - English > Page 7 - Item 10, below the picture showing the EXP 1/2  FS 4/5 Input socket:

”Connect an expression pedal here to adjust a wide variety of parameters.* With a Y-cable (tip-ring-sleeve 1/4" jack, split to two tip-sleeve 1/4" jacks), two expression pedals can be connected. Alternatively, you can add one (or with a Y-cable, two) external footswitches to access additional stomps, presets, snapshots, etc. (FS4=tip, FS5=ring). To set this jack’s function(s), see page 52. By default, this jack is set to accommodate a Mission SP1-L6H Line 6 Expression Pedal, which has a toe switch that toggles between EXP 1 (Wah/Pitch or Poly Wham) and EXP 2 (Volume/Pan). For external footswitches, the momentary (unlatched) type should be used.”

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 6/18/2023 at 12:43 AM, mendeslh said:

[..] Alone they work well in HX.

This Y cable should be with a TRS output and 2 TS inputs?

Correct. The pedals use TRS - tip, ring, sleeve. What needs to be done is to remove the ring signal. You can use a TRS cable where you open up one of the plugs and cut the ring conductor. Or modify the pedals and open up the ring signal path somewhere. Often people pull the pedal's TRS jack's middle connector so that it won't make contact when a cable is plugged in.