Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp + EV30 Expression Pedal - full 0-100 happens in only part of a full sweep

Pullstringlyfe

Hey guys, 

I just got an EV30 expression pedal today to use with my hx stomp. I find however that the parameters only start increasing in value after about 1/4 of the full sweep on the EV-30. Similarly, the parameters reach 100 with about 1/4 of the sweep remaining. I am using the stock TRS-TRS cable that comes with the ev30. 

Any suggestions? 

On 7/20/2023 at 6:50 PM, Pullstringlyfe said:

Hey guys, 

I just got an EV30 expression pedal today to use with my hx stomp. I find however that the parameters only start increasing in value after about 1/4 of the full sweep on the EV-30. Similarly, the parameters reach 100 with about 1/4 of the sweep remaining. I am using the stock TRS-TRS cable that comes with the ev30. 

Any suggestions? 

Hi, 

Check page 53 of the Manual which states:

”By default, the HX Stomp EXP 1/2 | FS4/5 jack is set up to accommodate the Mission Helix expression pedal, connected via an optional Y cable (sometimes called a TRS insert cable). The main advantage of this setup is that pressing the integrated toe switch will not only toggle the pedal’s function between EXP 1 (Wah/Pitch Wham/PolyWham/PolyBass Wham) and EXP 2 (Volume Pedal/Pan), but it will also toggle the appropriate blocks on and off.”

See the manual for further details and options.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a418962611d636e7c51b/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

Page 52 regarding Tip/Ring polarity.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I have an EV-30 that does nothing for the first 30% of travel, and two FV-500L pedals that do nothing for the first 25%. It is just poor engineering such that the pedal does not move the pot before that point, or simply very poor pots.  You would expect better from Boss, but it seems pretty standard for their expression pedals.  I put spacer blocking under the back of the treadle so that it can't go any more "heel-down" than will actually register a change in resistance.  You lose pedal travel, but at least the pedal travel that you are left with actually does something.

I replaced the Boss pedals with Fractal expression pedals for regular use, and only use the Boss pedals as extras when required.  The Fractal pedals work perfectly throughout the range of travel.