Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Happy With the Stomp...not with Vox tones. Got Strymon?

adagosto

Hi all,

First off, I'm generally a very happy Stomp XL user. After the 3.5 update, this thing went to a new level. BUT, I'm still underwhelmed by the Vox tones I get from the Helix platform. Now part of my problem might be that I have a Vox AC30 sitting next to my Powercab Plus and my reference is, well, the amp. Still I find myself underwhelmed with the AC30 tones, in particular the Top Boost channel. But even the normal channel is not quite there for me.

So I'm considering a Strymon Iridium as a supplemental tool for the Stomp XL. Actually, I'll consider just about anything to get a really amazing Vox AC30 tone (both Normal and TB). I would LOVE to give the "real" AC30 to my son and let him play around with it and I can free up some space in my office/studio!!

Anyway, is anyone else out there with me on this? Are any of you using the Strymon in conjunction with the Stomp? If so, how do you have it hooked up? Any experience you can share?

On the other hand, if you can help me set up a killer AC30 Top Boost tone using the Powercab, PLEASE explain those settings.

Thanks all,

"The new XYZ modeler NAILS the Vox sound!"

"The new XYZ modeler sounds great, but its Vox SUCKS!"

That's the gist of every discussion I've ever seen regarding Vox tones.

You would think that the only way you can get authentic Vox tones is with an actual Vox amp.

In a blind shoot-out (live playing through actual amps in the room) done on one of the P&W YT Channels, they compared Helix, Kemper, Spider and one of the Hosts' hand wired AC30 amps that he'd had for years. They identified the Helix as his AC30. They thought the real AC30 was the Spider.

ROFLMAO!

The moral of the story is, buy it and try it! You're the only one who can decide.

• Upvote 1

You know I'm just going to come right out and call user error. After posting I went back and played around with settings and A/Bed the Vox/Stomp. After a few minutes I got it really, really close. I needed to change the mic on the 2x12 Bluebell.

Anyway, I no longer think I need anything.

But, your point is actually well taken. The Vox seems like a different amp to get "right".

I think I'm good!!

On 8/14/2023 at 8:56 PM, adagosto said:

The Vox seems like a different amp to get "right".

I use the Helix Vox amps quite a bit. I don't have a bunch of Vox amps to compare, but I remember hearing that Vox typically had variations among different production runs. I also remember talking to someone at Line 6 way back when the Helix was first introduced and asked about how they did the modeling. I forget who it was, but he specifically said they had to track down a lot of AC30 amps to find one that sounded "right."

Which of course begs the question, if there are that many differences, which one sounds "right"?  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Right.

I think the reason this is true with Vox amps has to do with the design. It's my, totally unfounded conclusion, that Vox amps react very differently with different pickups and that causes a noticeable variation in tone, more so than other amp design. It's not that this is better in any way...its just a characteristic of Vox amps.

I have only played regularly with just one Vox AC30 CC2. Then with that, I've played 4 different guitars through it. In my experience, there is much MORE variation between the 4 guitars with the same settings as compared to my Mesa Boogie Express. In fact its significant.

Again, I don't think this makes Vox "better"...In fact, you could probably make a pretty good argument that its NOT better and NOT a design feature but more of an impediment. Regardless, I have found it difficult to get the "right" Vox sound out of the Helix, but I'm now learning that it has more to do with adjusting the settings based on the guitar I'm using whereas other amp models tend to sound really good across all of my guitars without having to tweak the settings based on the guitar. For instance, the Brit Plexi Normal amp model sounds really, really good when I use it with my $200 Strat and with my Vola OZ TNC and with my son's PRS and Ric. It just always sounds good...a true plug and play amp model!!

On 8/14/2023 at 8:56 PM, adagosto said:

The Vox seems like a different amp to get "right".

Yes it is... 

On 8/15/2023 at 11:02 AM, adagosto said:

I have only played regularly with just one Vox AC30 CC2.

Which would not be the model/era that resides in the Helix - hence the difficulty you initially had in attempting to dial it in. This doesn't even account for the many slider/microswitch options found on the CC2.

The FAWN is the classic AC30 tone & operation... the ESSEX is a TOP BOOST model. 

• Upvote 1

That's true too. Another good point.

But at the end of the day, I feel I got pretty close.

The only thing I can complain about is something that's probably across the board when comparing a tube amp with the Helix. That's touch sensitivity. While the Helix has come a very long way in that capability, the Vox still is better in this space. When I dig in hard the Top Boost channel goes wild! The Helix does as well, but not as dramatically as the amp. This of course comes down to tradeoffs. I can pick up my entire pedal board with one hand that includes my Stomp. I need to stretch and warm up my back, upper body, lower don't and prepare my mind before trying to pick up my AC30. So what are we willing to accept??

The Helix suddenly looks even better!

Hmm?

I've recently (over the past six months), been writing presets that emulate the sound of a guitarist well known for using a Strat and an AC30/15 over his career ;).

A couple of months ago, I bought my Dad an AC15 (C1) for his 80th birthday, which (naturally) I 'tested' here before presenting it to him.

I found the Helix, through my Powercabs' speaker modelling, was more capable of matching those (AC15) tones than the (modern) AC15 is.

That said, it took me quite a long time when I was initially writing the presets to get the Helix models sounding anywhere like they should.