Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp XL signal routing question

ledvedder5150

Here's what I have and what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a Scarlett interface connected via USB to my laptop. My studio monitors are connected to the Scarlett. I'm connecting my HX Stomp to my laptop via USB. I'd like to be able to monitor the HX Stomp sounds through my studio monitors, without having to unplug them from my Scarlett and into my Stomp every time I use it. Is it possible to route the sound out through the Scarlett into my monitors? The only way I've been able to accomplish this so far is by running a 1/4" cable from the Stomp output to the Scarlett input. But I'm pretty sure I lose stereo output this way. 

Depends upon WHICH Scarlett you have and WHY you have both devices connected by USB.

It also depends upon the type of computer you have.

A MAC can use multiple ASIO devices concurrently as an "Aggregate" device, one set as INPUT and the other as OUTPUT.

A Windows rig can only use ONE ASIO driver at a time, and that serves both input and output.

You can get stereo to your DAW via USB from the Scarlett or from the HXS, but not both at once, and whichever device is set as the ASIO driver, that's the one that the speakers need to be connected to.

If the Scarlett has multiple inputs (2i2/2i4) then you can connect both Outputs from the HXS and route the HXS audio directly to the Scarlett's outputs using the Monitor knob. USB audio from the Scarlett will still be routed to the DAW, but to hear playback you'll need to have the Monitor knob centered and make sure that the Track Input Switch on the DAW track is set to OFF or AUTO.

If the Scarlett has SW routing (Focusrite Control - 4i4 and above) then you just assign both the Line Inputs the HXS is connected to and the Playback 1/2 from the DAW to the Scarlett outputs the speakers are connected to. This is the way I use my 18i20.

EDIT - somebody is bound to jump in and suggest ASIO4ALL with Windows. It's a PITA, has excessive latency, and is a PITA. Don't waste your time.

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2023 at 10:09 PM, ledvedder5150 said:

Here's what I have and what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a Scarlett interface connected via USB to my laptop. My studio monitors are connected to the Scarlett. I'm connecting my HX Stomp to my laptop via USB. I'd like to be able to monitor the HX Stomp sounds through my studio monitors, without having to unplug them from my Scarlett and into my Stomp every time I use it. Is it possible to route the sound out through the Scarlett into my monitors? The only way I've been able to accomplish this so far is by running a 1/4" cable from the Stomp output to the Scarlett input. But I'm pretty sure I lose stereo output this way. 

Hi,

When seeking assistance with something like this, it’s advisable to provide as much background information as possible.

You mention a Scarlett, a laptop, and studio monitors, but no reference to what models of any of these items are. For example, the Focusrite Scarlett has many different options, from Solo through to the 18i20. Likewise, on what platform, Mac or PC.

One of the reasons this is important is, if you have a Scarlett Solo, then you only have one input and therefore mono. You did mention losing stereo. Also, if you are using a Mac, you can create and aggregate device to handle audio from different devices for ins and outs. Don’t know if this is an option with a Windows machine?

Ultimately, your best option may be to take advantage of the discount available to you as a HX Stomp XL owner, and purchase a copy of the Helix Native plug-in for your DAW. This way all the presets you have created on your XL can be  imported to Native, which can then playback in stereo through you Focusrite and into your studio monitors without reconfiguring your setup.

Just a thought.

Hope this helps/makes sense.