Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stereo, Buffer Size And Dual Pre-Amps

timobuske

Hi,

I'm trying to create a couple of stereo presets for my new HX Stomp XL but find it rather hard to get something together without reaching the DSP limit.

My absolute minimum starting point for creating the preset is 2 pre-amps one for the left and one for the right channel to keep it stereo plus one dual cab sim. This already occupies 3 blocks and there is just a tiny little bit of DSP power left. This is just the basics no fancy FX yet.

So here are two feature request I would really need in order to create decent stereo presets without buying a bigger unit. And I guess the concept of the Helix is to be able to do stereo, right?

1. Wouldn't it be possible to let the user decide to increase the buffer size to get more DSP power trading-off for some more latency?

2. Like the dual cab, a dual pre-amp would waste less space in the chain.

Thanks

Timo

On 11/9/2023 at 12:41 PM, timobuske said:

Hi,

I'm trying to create a couple of stereo presets for my new HX Stomp XL but find it rather hard to get something together without reaching the DSP limit.

My absolute minimum starting point for creating the preset is 2 pre-amps one for the left and one for the right channel to keep it stereo plus one dual cab sim. This already occupies 3 blocks and there is just a tiny little bit of DSP power left. This is just the basics no fancy FX yet.

So here are two feature request I would really need in order to create decent stereo presets without buying a bigger unit. And I guess the concept of the Helix is to be able to do stereo, right?

1. Wouldn't it be possible to let the user decide to increase the buffer size to get more DSP power trading-off for some more latency?

2. Like the dual cab, a dual pre-amp would waste less space in the chain.

Thanks

Timo

Hi,

Aah ... it's your first post, so here's couple of things -

First, re: Feature Requests

There are no Line staff here and only very occasionally do they visit these forums - See the “sticky comment” in the black banner stripe at the top of this page entitled “Welcome to the Line 6 forums”

This link is where you need to go to have any hope of it been seen by anyone from Line 6:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/index

Before posting any  new ideas, please do a search to see if it's already been listed. Multiple requests for the same thing will thin out the votes. Also, post your ideas one at a time. Many users don’t vote for combined suggestions.

You should then use this thread to let other users know what your suggestions are, with links to IdeaScale, so they can vote on it if they wish.

https://line6.com/support/topic/14497-helix-ideascale-community-submissions/

Secondly - You really should have done some research about DSP and bought a Helix LT, Floor, or Rack with double the DSP of your HX Stomp XL. I can't see these sort of request being added this far down the line.

Long time Helix user and Forum contributor, Ben Vesco (Malhavok), has produced a list of DSP allocation up to Firmware 3.5 - find it here:

https://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 11/9/2023 at 1:41 PM, timobuske said:

No. Trading latency for a stable sound is working on operating systems like Windows, Mac OS or Linux because other processes can delay the CPU access of the audio process long enough so that audio gaps occur. This is not the case on a real time DSP system like the Helix.

• Like 1