Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset Spillover not working, or I’m misunderstanding..

jeremiahzellers

I just bought a helix.. firmware 3.1.x.. 

I enabled true preset spillover.

crested a patch with long delay and reverb trails.

hit a note and switched to a new patch and the trails stop immediately.

Both delay and reverb have trails enabled.

I thought the true spillover meant Preset A and B can have completely different effects and the trails from preset A would continue when I switch to preset B.

is this not the case? If not, what’s the point?

It just means that there's no audible gap between presets.

IOW - instead of preset A unloading before preset B begins to load, creating an audible gap, preset A remains loaded until preset B is loaded.

I think that most people just place a "rest" (stop picking and mute the string) at that point rather than dedicate an entire processor.

On 3/2/2024 at 5:44 PM, jeremiahzellers said:

I thought the true spillover meant Preset A and B can have completely different effects and the trails from preset A would continue when I switch to preset B.

Hi,

Yep - You seem to have misunderstood how “true spillover” is implemented.

In order to take advantage of it, you have to sacrifice one entire DSP, which means you loose all of Path 2.

I would suggest you check out page 21 of the Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f041b611d61cac763b/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - English .pdf

Most folks use Snapshots to achieve similar results without the potential loss of 16 blocks in the second path.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Happy trails.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/2/2024 at 7:45 PM, datacommando said:

In order to take advantage of it, you have to sacrifice one entire DSP, which means you loose all of Path 2.

This is happening automatically once you activate spillover, so he doesn't have to actively sacrifice that very DSP. And as he seems to have activated spillover, I don't see how he could misunderstand anything.

• Confused 1

On 3/2/2024 at 12:34 PM, SaschaFranck said:

This is happening automatically once you activate spillover, so he doesn't have to actively sacrifice that very DSP. And as he seems to have activated spillover, I don't see how he could misunderstand anything.

What I'm saying is that he misunderstands the function of "spillover". It's not about maintaining "trails" between presets, it just eliminates the audible gap.

What @datacommandois saying is that if he wants trails, instead of sacrificing the second processor, use that and snapshots with additional FX blocks to accomplish his goal.

• Upvote 1

Well, that is quite disappointing and quite frankly a bit misleading.

its not “preset spillover”… its “gapless switching”.

i was hoping it could do what the h90 does. THAT is true preset spillover. I wanted to go with a preset based flow so I load up 20 or so presets that I could call up at any point in a song.

This thing is going back unfortunately. 

• Sad 1

On 3/2/2024 at 7:34 PM, SaschaFranck said:

As the OP didn’t mention anything about seeing the “"Remove Path 2 to enable preset spillover?" dialogue, it would appear that he had not activated the spillover option. That would be misunderstanding everything about how it functions, along with delay and reverb trails.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:15 PM, jeremiahzellers said:

Well, that is quite disappointing and quite frankly a bit misleading.

its not “preset spillover”… its “gapless switching”.

i was hoping it could do what the h90 does. THAT is true preset spillover. I wanted to go with a preset based flow so I load up 20 or so presets that I could call up at any point in a song.

This thing is going back unfortunately. 

Fair comment.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:31 PM, MGW-Alberta said:

If I am understanding you correctly, the Line 6 Vetta was capable of doing what you want to do but it has not yet occurred to me to attempt it with Helix Floor.  Knowing what I know, it may not be possible.  Perhaps using snapshots but I'm not sure as I've never looked into it.

Vetta was sort of like (but not exactly like) two AX2-212s built into one unit.

You could set up two different tones and then use one of the treadles to blend them or to fade from one to the other.

I used it back in the day on a cover of Creed's My Sacrifice.  The first guitar tone in that song was clean with chorus and verb and then (in the recording) another distorted guitar fades in but I used the treadle to fade from the clean tone into the dirty tone.

I will think on this some more but I suspect it is not possible with Helix.  If anyone would know for sure it would probably be Craig or Jason.  Or maybe Ben.

Or maybe Digital_Igloo because he wrote this.

From the Release Notes, v3.0 Firmware:-

New Features in 3.0

True Preset Spillover

Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT only

Despite what some might have you believe, the only digital multieffects units with true preset spillover were the DigiTech GSP1101, 2112, and 2120, and they accomplished this by dedicating a second identical DSP to spillover and only spillover. (Basically, to hear two dynamically allocated presets with absolutely zero gap—not some global reverb or delay smeared to cover the gap—you need enough DSP to run both of them simultaneously.) So... if you're willing to sacrifice half your DSP—that is, COMPLETELY DISABLE PATH 2—you too can have true preset spillover. IMPORTANT! Unfortunately, Looper recording or playback will not currently spill over from one preset to another. Also, note that there may be a slight hiccup when switching between two presets with different impedance values for the Guitar Input.

1. In the Global Settings > Preferences menu, set Preset Spillover to "On." (SHORTCUT: Hold ACTION and press HOME.) A dialog appears, reading "Remove Path 2 to enable preset spillover?"
  2. Press Knob 6 (OK).
  3. Press HOME. Path 2 has disappeared! You may now switch presets to your heart's delight with true spillover, but note that if Preset A is still spilling over into Preset B (say one of its delay's feedback is making it self-oscillate), switching to Preset C will abruptly cut off Preset A.
  4. To return to normal operation with two paths, turn Preset Spillover back to "Off." (SHORTCUT: Hold ACTION and press HOME again.) A dialog appears, reading "The preset must be reloaded. All unsaved changes will be lost!" So if you've made changes to the preset, be sure to save it before turning Spillover off.
  5. Press Knob 6 (OK).

But but but... I don't wanna lose Path 2 for spillover!

Then keep using snapshots.

Hope this clarifies the spillover thing.

On 3/2/2024 at 9:08 PM, rd2rk said:

What I'm saying is that he misunderstands the function of "spillover". It's not about maintaining "trails" between presets, it just eliminates the audible gap.

No, before you tell someone they're misunderstanding things, you should rather check some facts before, because in this case, very clearly you are the one to misunderstand the function (or at least the way how it is intended to work). This is straight from the manual:

"If you’re willing to sacrifice one of Helix’s two DSPs, you can achieve true preset spillover, complete with delay and reverb trails."

Whether this works as supposed is another thing, but at least it is supposed to work.

On 3/3/2024 at 8:45 AM, SaschaFranck said:

"If you’re willing to sacrifice one of Helix’s two DSPs, you can achieve true preset spillover, complete with delay and reverb trails."

You have selected to quote from the manual, and I selected to quote from the FW Release Notes for v3.0. As both items are usually written by Digital_Igloo, then it would seem that any “misunderstanding” was created by the author!

EDIT:

It works as expected here!

Edited by datacommando
Added vid

On 3/3/2024 at 2:20 AM, jeremiahzellers said:

Hi.

i read the manual and already know how to activate preset spillover.

As noted in my original post, I DID have it activated. The second path was removed.

Hi,

As you can see, and hear, in the official Line 6 video above - it does work.

You mention that you have just bought your Helix. Many users have found the when it doesn’t work as expected, and/or other weirdness happens, it can usually be fixed by performing a Factory Reset and if that doesn’t work, a reinstall of the firmware should do the trick. Failing that, raise a ticket with. Customer Support.

On 3/3/2024 at 1:13 PM, datacommando said:

You have selected to quote from the manual

Sure. And it seems to work as in the manual. No idea why it wouldn't work for jeremiahzellers, though. Also no idea why Digital Igloo wrote something different in the release notes, but "not some global reverb or delay" is pretty unclear anyway (what's up with the "global" thing?).

As said, can't check anything by myself.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 3:05 PM, jeremiahzellers said:

Works now. I turned spillover off and then turned it on again and the settings took effect. Strange that they didn’t the first time… but good to go!

Hmm... File under "just a glitch".

One of life's little mysteries.

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2024 at 12:15 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

Yep - You seem to have misunderstood how “true spillover” is implemented.

I would suggest you check out page 21 of the Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f041b611d61cac763b/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - English .pdf

Most folks use Snapshots to achieve similar results without the potential loss of 16 blocks in the second path.

Happy trails.

Thanks for the link, I was looking for it. You made my day. For the past few days, I have also been working on my assignment project, but I was stuck. Then I found this website, which writes for you. There, https://lastminutewriting.com/assignment has a team of professional writers to write for us. When I visited them, it was so good and fast that now they are going to be my friends for the rest of my life for writing work. If you also need help, you can try them.

Thanks for the link, I was looking for it. You made my day :)

• Thanks 1