Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thump sound when changing presets containing Kinky Boost

yoMuzicMan

When I create a preset on the HX Stomp XL or Helix Rack (firmware 3.71) with the Kinky Boost pedal, I hear a thump sound when i change to that preset. You can reproduce this by creating to new preset, putting Kinky Boost on the first block, save it. Then copy this preset to another adjacent preset. Then switch back and forth between the 2 presets to hear the thump sound.

Anyone else experiencing this?

• Upvote 1

All kinds of weird stuff can happen when you copy/ paste a patch to another slot... it's also possible you've discovered a bug. However, if the behavior only happens after you copy and paste, and the original patch otherwise behaves normally, then at least you know how to avoid it...

Ok, then. Unfortunately, just about the only recourse we have as end users when weird stuff happens (no matter what it is), is to back up everything and do a factory reset. It might not help, but it certainly won't make anything worse. If the issue persists after you've restored everything, then it's time for a service ticket.

• Upvote 1

@yoMuzicManYou have re-uncovered a bug.

Meaning, this has been noted before. IDK if it was ever reported, so you should open a support ticket to report it.

But to be clear, I have tested and this is real. At least, on my HX Stomp.

I haven't tried on my Helix Floor, but no matter, REPORT IT!

• Upvote 2

@rd2rk, thanks for confirming. I submitted a request to support just before posting this discussion. I'll update the case notes with a link to this discussion so they can see that others (at last you) experience the same issue.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Line6 Support got back to me with these comments:

"It's been on the known issues list since 2.92 (happens on HX One, too). I'm not sure where it stands in the pipeline to be fixed, I'll bring it forth to our QA/product manager. I recommend keeping eye on the release notes on future firmware release to see what's been fixed or pending."

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2024 at 7:43 AM, yoMuzicMan said:

Line6 Support got back to me with these comments:

"It's been on the known issues list since 2.92 (happens on HX One, too). I'm not sure where it stands in the pipeline to be fixed, I'll bring it forth to our QA/product manager. I recommend keeping eye on the release notes on future firmware release to see what's been fixed or pending."

Lol... Allow me to translate:

"We're on it! (since 5/19/2020). Keep your eyes peeled!"...;)

If it hasn't been addressed in nearly 4 years, then clearly it's not at the top of anybody's to-do list. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

This reminds me of the running joke throughout that old Tom Hanks movie, "The Money Pit"...every time he asks the contractor for an end date to the already months-long renovation project, the answer is "Two weeks!"

Hurry up and wait, lol...

I just got an HX Stomp and noticed this almost immediatly. I am glad I found this post.

It shouldn't be too hard for Line6 to add a (selectable?) option to mute the output until the preset is fully loaded.
A quick fade-out/fade-in of 1 second (at most) should to the trick. 

Switching presets already introduces a short audio dropout which is why most people use snapshots within a song instead of switching presets.

I think most users wouldn't mind a tiny extra wait if it meant no thump/click/hiss when switching presets.