Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wha in the reamping process

Yardrath19

Dear All, 

I have an existential question regarding the way to use the wha from my Helix in a reamping process including my Helix Native... 

Is there any way to record the wha position signal through USB  7 (dry signal) and use Helix Native ? 

(I don't know how to be more clear than that, though knowing this might not be clear at all...)

Let's anyway try with an example

I have a solo section. In a part of the solo, I switch to wha. In my USB-1/2 recording, the processed signal is ok, the wha wha is recorded. BUT !!!! I have also recorded the solo with USB7, the dry signal, and want to include this wha part, but how can I do with HX Native ? Is there any way ? 

Thanks a lot for your answer... 

Ben 

On 3/6/2024 at 7:24 AM, Yardrath19 said:

Is there any way to record the wha position signal through USB  7 (dry signal) and use Helix Native ? 

No. The way to do that is to set the exp pedal to send MIDI, then record that on a separate MIDI track.

Actually, if you use Reaper you can record the MIDI on the same track as the DI from USB 7.

Then you set the wah in the Native preset on the reamp track to listen for the MIDI CC you set the Helix Exp pedal to and send the MIDI from the DI track along with the audio. You'll also need the Bypass CCs matched.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/6/2024 at 2:24 PM, Yardrath19 said:

Dear All, 

I have an existential question regarding the way to use the wha from my Helix in a reamping process including my Helix Native... 

(I don't know how to be more clear than that, though knowing this might not be clear at all...)

Let's anyway try with an example

I have a solo section. In a part of the solo, I switch to wha. In my USB-1/2 recording, the processed signal is ok, the wha wha is recorded. BUT !!!! I have also recorded the solo with USB7, the dry signal, and want to include this wha part, but how can I do with HX Native ? Is there any way ? 

Thanks a lot for your answer... 

Ben 

Hi, Ben,

I would regard your question to be more esoteric than existential, and as we are generally not psychic in these forums, it's really big help to know what DAW you are using, and on what computer OS.

Anyhow, here we go. You would be best advised to have some sort of MIDI Controller for this job, but firstly, check out this video for some idea of how it works. The section named "The Better Way" @ 4:08 makes most sense of how to approach this.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/6/2024 at 9:24 AM, Yardrath19 said:

…... 

……

. BUT !!!! I have also recorded the solo with USB7, the dry signal, and want to include this wha part, but how can I do with HX Native ? Is there any way ? 

The USB7 dry signal is tapped at the Helix Input block, before it undergoes any DSP, which is what defines ‘dry’. Hence, no it doesn’t capture anything about your preset, including the Wah pedal.

You can use MIDI with Helix Native to control the bypass state and pedal position of the Wah. You can do this manually during every playback using the Helix pedal controller, or (probable preferably) you can record a MIDI Automation track that captures the pedal movements once and then applies the automation during all future playbacks. Details vary with the DAW but the Helix Native part of it is explained in the manual.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1