Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pitch Wham vs Poly Pitch

mustafai

Other than the polyphonic capability, is there any quality difference between the two for single note solo use (such as for Tom Morello solos)? The DSP requirements are way different. Is that difference worth it if the use is not for chords?

On 4/1/2024 at 2:12 AM, mustafai said:

Other than the polyphonic capability, is there any quality difference between the two for single note solo use (such as for Tom Morello solos)? The DSP requirements are way different. Is that difference worth it if the use is not for chords?

Hi,

The best way for you to ascertain which is best for your purpose is to try it.

Let your ears decide - non here can do that for you.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

This is a HUGE guess. I haven't compared them but if the single note one's DSP is around 6X more than the poly one, my guess would be that they will be equal. But, like datacomando said, just use your ears. At the very least it will be faster. than asking here.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2024 at 9:42 AM, mustafai said:

Thanks for recommending to use my ears. Very helpful and creative. These forums are so useful... :)

Thank you for refraining from sarcasm and with that contributing to this helpful and creative pearl that we call forum.

• Haha 2

When you use an expression pedal to control the pitch they are quite different: the Whammy goes to any position giving it a glissando on violin string effect where as the Poly is like a fretted instrument going from one fret/half step to the next. This fact alone would make me choose the Whammy for Morello'ish lines.

The Poly Pitch is optimized for minimal artifacts with chords. It has multiple options to fine tune the transition from one pitch to another and it has the AutoEQ to help it not get harsh. For more controlled pitch shifting e.g. toggling between two pitches with a foot switch this works great.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1