Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Processing Power Question?

thecalifornians

I currently own a PodGo, and an HX Effects unit.

I was VERY interested in upgrading my PodGo to an HX Stomp XL, until I researched the DSP and block allotment between them.
I was mistakenly under the impression that the Stomp series offered considerably more DSP, and more available blocks. I was surprised to find out that wasn't quite the truth. In fact, while the Stomp XL offers much more flexibility in your signal chain, and choice of effects, the increase in DSP and available blocks is minimal at best. Here is what I've come up with so far:

PodGo = 400 hz
Volume pedal + Wah pedal + amp + cab + 4 available blocks + 1 dedicated EQ block

Stomp LX = 450 hz
8 available blocks, any combination

Volume pedal (1 block) + Wah (1 block) + amp (1 block) + cab (1 block) + 4 available blocks

I'm an "old school" guy, so I'm not into multiple signal chains, or multiple amps, or splitting signals
between amps, or running 4 reverbs at the same time... loll...

Is there any option other than buying a Helix LT, that can provide more DSP, and more block flexibility?

In Line6 world, those are your choices. I will say that I really like the flexibility of my HX Stomp, even with its limitations; I have a very lush chorus preset with 2 choruses in parallel, with a pitch shifter block before each one. Can't do that on the Pod.

But yeah, if you need significantly more DSP, you're looking at an LX (which I also have, and love to death).

• Like 1

I think your analysis overlooks some very obvious things though.  There's a fairly significant difference in the capabilities of the individual blocks on the XL.  That's because, unlike the PodGo, the Stomp employs the same Helix modeling engine used on it's largest units (though limited in number) which is considerably more powerful processing wise than the PodGo.  That may be worth some of your attention to determine all the things you can do with the Stomp which is considerably broader and more capable than what you have now.

The added benefit is that your presets can convert directly over to any Helix unit whereas your PodGo presets will have to be rebuilt.  I would think that would be a pretty important consideration should you decide ultimately you want to have more flexibility and capability in what your unit can do.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 12:33 AM, thecalifornians said:

Is there any option other than buying a Helix LT, that can provide more DSP, and more block flexibility?

If you really want to know about DSP per block in the Helix/POD Go family of products, I would suggest you have look at the DSP chart created by sometime forum user Ben Vesco "Malhavok".

https://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 10:32 AM, datacommando said:

If you really want to know about DSP per block in the Helix/POD Go family of products, I would suggest you have look at the DSP chart created by sometime forum user Ben Vesco "Malhavok".

https://benvesco.com/store/helix-dsp-allocations/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

It makes total sense!
Thanks for responding. No matter, I just purchased a Helix LT tonight, which will arrive next week. 
No more worries about running out of DSP, or blocks, or pretty much anything else. Dual chips,
all the blocks I want to play with, and probably more resources than I'll ever use, or need.   

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2024 at 3:26 AM, DunedinDragon said:

I think your analysis overlooks some very obvious things though.  There's a fairly significant difference in the capabilities of the individual blocks on the XL.  That's because, unlike the PodGo, the Stomp employs the same Helix modeling engine used on it's largest units (though limited in number) which is considerably more powerful processing wise than the PodGo.  That may be worth some of your attention to determine all the things you can do with the Stomp which is considerably broader and more capable than what you have now.

The added benefit is that your presets can convert directly over to any Helix unit whereas your PodGo presets will have to be rebuilt.  I would think that would be a pretty important consideration should you decide ultimately you want to have more flexibility and capability in what your unit can do.

Yes, your right! I did miss the elephant in the room. That's why I'm selling my PodGo, I totally bypassed a Stomp XL, and purchased a HELIX LT instead this evening!  :-) My HX Effects already uses the same editor as a HELIX LT, so now I probably have all the resources I'll ever need, for direct recording or for LIVE!

On 5/7/2024 at 11:05 PM, thecalifornians said:

No more worries about running out of DSP, or blocks, or pretty much anything else. Dual chips,
all the blocks I want to play with, and probably more resources than I'll ever use, or need.   

There are still limits you'll need to work within. Compared to a stomp it may have 4 times the number of block allocations, but it only has twice the DSP. It's never been an issue for me... I can always work within the limits. However, I am reminded of the limits when I want to try something and it's "grayed out". 

On 5/8/2024 at 4:46 AM, codamedia said:

There are still limits you'll need to work within. Compared to a stomp it may have 4 times the number of block allocations, but it only has twice the DSP. It's never been an issue for me... I can always work within the limits. However, I am reminded of the limits when I want to try something and it's "grayed out". 

Thanks for the warning! I've been reading through all the specs. Too bad it's limited to 8 switches for pedals in stomp mode (unless they've done a firmware update I don't know about?). However, it has FULL HELIX DSP like you said! No worries, I'm not going to be pushing against the resources either.