Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A block in path B becomes inactive after about 2 hours

LarryPeter514

This has been happening consistently since updating my Helix LT to 3.71:
If one preset is left on for a prolonged period, block 4 in path B will become inactive - doesn't work if bypassed or "on", and toggling between bypass and "on" makes no difference. Sound still passes through, and all blocks after it still work as expected. Changing to another preset and then back, or turning Helix off and back on eliminate the problem. First noticed this when my Helix was left on in the studio overnight and the preset had no delay when I began recording the next day. I have accidentally done this many times in the past, but the issue only began after updating to 3.71.
This is obviously not an unworkable situation, but it recently happened during a rehearsal when I had been using the same preset for around an hour, then we took a break to eat. Came back and the delay wouldn't work.
I use a template for all my presets where before-amp pedals and amp blocks are on path A, time-based effects and cab are on path B. The fourth block on path B is where I will always have a delay (this issue happens no matter which delay it is).
Not knowing how individual "blocks" relate to individual DSP processors, I'd just like to know if this is a sign of an impending DSP failure. It seems a lot like a memory leak in desktop world.
Has anyone else experienced this?

I have never noticed this in respect to a specific block position, but it happens regularly with delays, usually when left on overnight, on both my Helix floor and HXS.

It is also not specific to 3.71, as it has been happening for a long time. It seems to get better for a while if I do a factory reset (don't forget to back up first!).

I'm pretty sure it's a known issue.

Do open a support ticket so that they know that it is still happening and is widespread.

I've been meaning to open a ticket myself and will do so this week.

• Upvote 2

On 6/15/2024 at 10:30 PM, LarryPeter514 said:

This has been happening consistently since updating my Helix LT to 3.71:

Hi,

I’m sure that I have seen this issue with delay blocks, mentioned elsewhere about 6 months back. IIRC the guys solution was simply to reload the preset and everything would function as expected. I will try to track it down, but If I were you, I would follow the recommendation from @rd2rk and raise a ticket. At least that way it has more chance of being fixed, sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

I found this about Reverb blocks in the v3.0 Release Notes, so it look like it should be fixable. (My Bold)

Bug Fixes in 3.0

• When synced to external MIDI clock or retriggering via TAP, certain models with tremolo circuits' LFO set to square wave would invert the waveform–FIXED
  • If Helix had been left powered on for 24 hours or longer with the same preset active (What? Why?), its reverb blocks could become disabled until selecting another preset—FIXED
  • Many other minor fixes and improvements
Edited by datacommando
Added Edit

On 6/15/2024 at 4:30 PM, LarryPeter514 said:

I'd just like to know if this is a sign of an impending DSP failure. It seems a lot like a memory leak in desktop world.

You are likely correct on your 2nd assumption... which would be a software bug not a impending DSP failure. 

Also, the fact that reloading the preset solves the problem also points to software. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...