Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Could Someone Help me in Issues with Helix LT Firmware Update?

Padrickk

Hello there,

I am reaching out to seek assistance with an issue I have encountered while updating the firmware on my Helix LT. I recently attempted to update to the latest firmware version (v3.70); but the process did not go as smoothly as I had hoped.

I followed the instructions on the Line 6 website; ensuring that my Helix LT was connected to my computer via USB and that I had the latest Line 6 Updater installed.

I initiated the update, and the Updater indicated that the process was underway. Although; about halfway through; the Updater froze and eventually gave an error message stating that the update had failed.

After the failure; I tried rebooting the Helix LT and reconnecting it to the Updater; but the device no longer shows up as connected. Additionally; the Helix LT display remains blank; and there are no signs of activity.

Also, I have gone through this post; https://line6.com/support/topic/65020-problems-updating-helix-lt-to-350-and-yes-i-mlops-updated-hx-edit-to-350-and-can-follow-instructions/ 

I am concerned that the firmware update might have bricked the device. Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have any advice on how to resolve this?

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.

On 8/28/2024 at 2:41 AM, Padrickk said:

….

I followed the instructions on the Line 6 website; ensuring that my Helix LT was connected to my computer via USB and that I had the latest Line 6 Updater installed.

I initiated the update, and the Updater indicated that the process was underway. Although; about halfway through; the Updater froze and eventually gave an error message stating that the update had failed.

….

Actually the instructions tell you to begin by downloading and installing the HX Edit package which includes the latest Updater program. The Updater is invoked in the background but you shouldn’t even be aware of it.

Try again, starting with HX Edit, and follow the instructions it provides. If it fails…..

On 8/28/2024 at 7:41 AM, Padrickk said:

Hello there,

I am reaching out to seek assistance with an issue I have encountered while updating the firmware on my Helix LT. I recently attempted to update to the latest firmware version (v3.70); but the process did not go as smoothly as I had hoped.

After the failure; I tried rebooting the Helix LT and reconnecting it to the Updater; but the device no longer shows up as connected. Additionally; the Helix LT display remains blank; and there are no signs of activity.

Also, I have gone through this post; https://line6.com/support/topic/65020-problems-updating-helix-lt-to-350-and-yes-i-mlops-updated-hx-edit-to-350-and-can-follow-instructions/ 

I am concerned that the firmware update might have bricked the device. Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have any advice on how to resolve this?

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.

Hi,

When seeking assistance from Forum users it's a really good idea to supply as much information as possible regarding the computer and operating system you are using.

I find a couple of things in your post are somewhat confusing.

First, you mention FW 3.70, although the current version is 3.71.

You also state that following instruction from the Line 6 site, you were using the Updater Utility for the installation, and then you encountered a failure of the installation. Hmm… curious.

The usual, and recommended way to update the firmware is by using HX Edit application, and according to the Release Notes for v.3.71 it can take quite sometime and about half way through the install is very likely that you will encounter a “Boot Failure” - THIS IS NORMAL.

Please read - link here:

You could/should also try following the instructions in the link posted by @SaschaFranck on the page you said you visited regarding this issue.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

OK. From my own experience.

Log in to your L6 account, download the latest versions of HX Edit AND Line 6 Updater. Also, download any version of the firmware for your unit that ISN'T the one that failed during the update process - eg v3.50.

Assuming your USB cable is sound, switch off any music/streaming apps that may be running in the background, such as Spotify.

Boot Helix LT in to 'update mode' - hold down switches 6 & 12, while switching the unit on. Hold them for a few seconds, as you might not see any indications on screen. Plug it in to your PC.

Start Line 6 Updater in 'offline mode'. Hopefully, you'll be presented with a list of units to choose from. Choose the appropriate one - Helix LT. Choose to manually install the firmware you've downloaded.

Let nature take it's course - DON'T use the computer for anything else or minimise the Updater window while it's trying to install firmware.

When the install has 'successfully completed', do a factory reset on the Helix (switches 9 & 10 while switching on the unit), and close L6 Updater.

Start up HX Edit. Hopefully, it recognizes your unit, and that there's an update available. Follow ALL the instructions. After about 25-30 minutes, you should be golden.

Do another factory reset, install the backup of your presets -you DO back it up occasionally, right?

Assuming it all worked out, next time there's an update, use HX Edit, not L6 Updater. Updater is good for recovering from a disaster, but it's not unknown for it to cause the disaster in the first place.