Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

having serious issues with my POD HD500

mattsteggles

can anyone help me program my HD 500? it is driving me insane! I have a couple of issues that i wasn't expecting and maybe a more experienced user could help me? 

1. when setting up exp pedals in order to get pedal one to work I have set it up on pedal two. which is fine until I want to put stuff on pedal two and al the previous setting up goes out the window. 

2. the settings I make in HD Edit don't update on the HD 500 until select another preset and then return to the one I'm working in causing a sync to take place. is this normal? 

3 when i'm setting up an exp controller in HDedit the settings i have made instantly disappear! I then have to back through and selrct the controller again to tweak! again is this normal? 

Apologies if this sounds like stupid questions but these 2 things are really fustrating and as I upgraded from an m13 where everything is much simpler! i'm a bit disappointed. can any one help before i throw the thing out of the window? 

thanks Matt

Numbers 1 and 2 may be related to number 3. That is, when assigning an exp controller, after you have the correct values you want *(see below for more weird behavior), switch back to the fx tab and select a different effect than what you just assigned to one of the exp controllers. Or if you also have a footswitch assigned to the effect, after adjusting the exp controller parameters, toggle (off then on, or on then off) the footswitch for that effect on the controllers tab, not the unit. It should stick then. I've noticed this behavior before. It's interesting to note that I think it only happens when Edit is actually talking to the unit.

If numbers 1 and 2 aren't fixed by the above actions, I don't know what it could be. For number 2, that is definitely not normal. I constantly change things in Edit. With the above exception, I've never had to switch presets to get something to stick.

* Another thing to be aware of while adjusting exp parameters on the controllers tab is to use the keyboard arrow keys to adjust the values. If you use the mouse to turn the knob to get the value you want, it won't stick when you switch tabs. You can use the mouse to get close to the value, but end using the keyboard arrow keys.

Perhaps this will help with #2....

When you launch HD Edit all the preset definitions from the HD device are loaded into HD Edit program memory on your computer. From that point on, any changes you make to any preset using HD Edit are immediately reflected in the HD device 'active' preset memory (which stores only one active preset in its working buffer). You should immediately hear the changes but they don't exist permanently anyplace at this point; if you exit the Edit program the changes are lost. All changes are retained in the HD Edit memory space but NOT in the HD device unless and until you use the HD Edit SEND command. That's the command that actually sends a preset (or more) from HD Edit memory space to the HD device for permanent storage.

Also, it is a good habit to use only HD Edit to make changes when it is running. Avoid making any changes on the device itself. Doing so tends to cause synchronicity problems between the Edit program memory and the HD device working memory. This can cause lost data, and in extreme cases can cause corrupt data leading to a device failure that can require a firmware reinstallation.

• Upvote 4

3 when i'm setting up an exp controller in HDedit the settings i have made instantly disappear! I then have to back through and selrct the controller again to tweak! again is this normal? 

Regarding this phenomenon. When you assign anything to the expression pedal and then move it while still connected to HD edit, your parameters will disappear BUT the setings you made will still be there.  If you go back to what you were assigning it to, you will see an asterisk (*) next to the parameter, this indicates it is assigned to something and all your parameters will still be there. Notice also, it will show you what your parameter is assigned to when you select it.   I'm not quite sure I understood the rest of your question but I can assure you, you're not going crazy. The pedal assign area took me awhile to "get". One trick I use is as soon as I assign a footswitch or expression pedal to something, I save (send) it to the unit. So it will be saved no matter what I do that might then screw it up.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, this expression pedal thing was making me crazy too! I was using an outboard EXP pedal with the HD500, and assigning each pedal to the amp volume of the two amp models.

Set amp A to "volume", set it as EXP1, set the min 0, max 100, save.

Set amp B to "volume", set it as EXP2, set the min 0, max 100, save.

Scroll back to amp A, and now it has defaulted back to "drive" - however the pedal actually performs as a volume adjustment. Made me friggin crazy thinking I was doing something wrong!!

• Upvote 1

Remember, if you use the pedal and it looks like every thing goes back to a default (which it will in HD Edit), it has not in.  Any parameter with and asterisk (*) next to it, is assigned to something so if it defaults back to looking at drive and your pedal works, I'm sure there will be an asterisk next to that parameter if you go back to it in HD Edit.  And it will show what it's assigned to.