Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connect to Logic, big latency

Hi all!

Sorry if my question was asked before, i did not found. ANd sorry for my bad english)

I connected M20d to my MacbookPro via usb and run the LogicX, installed latest drivers, and was no any problems till i found that latency more than 1000ms. Is it normal or some problems in my system?

it's a common request, so i'm sure that they have looked into it... because it was not designed for this function, they may be coming up against hardware limitations.

you can make an official request here: http://line6.ideascale.com/

or try to find a similar request and add your voice/vote.

Correct.  The mixer's primary function is to be a live sound mixer.  So it has to perform all of those duties, and a operate a screen and making onboard recording before it has time to then act as an interface.  It is unlikely that there will ever be much or any improvement to the latency encountered when trying to use is as an audio interface.  It was never intended to be one.

Guess you can record to an SD Card, and then import the file to your DAW from the SD Card.

Makes it alittle more difficult, but its better that nothing :)

Did this already, AD works well. Want to do in real time, would be much more better than now. Hope will be done in next firmware`s

Find out whats the latency, set a nudge setting on your daw with a short cut key to exactly that time.

Every time you record, select the audio clips, press the short cut key and they will be at the right location in time. Simple.

That's how I do it in Sonar X2

I believe you can record an initial multi-track 'take' to the DAW in 'real time' just as you can to an SD card. I've done it though I've only used a couple of channels/tracks. In both cases the audio is captured cleanly on the destination medium. You won't hear any latency at record time (as long as you are not using the DAW monitoring) because there's no playback involved on the initial recording. The audio is all being buffered as required and written to the SD card / PC drive as M20d/PC processing cycles are available.

The problem comes in trying to synchronize playback from the PC/DAW with overdubs performed through the M20d. That's where the M20d is simply not designed for the task. And as dboomer explained above, it won't be.Don't expect a firmware update to resolve this, ever.

Hi, in manual there is written this:

3.Streaming: stream 20 channels of 24 bit unprocessed audio at 48kHz, including the Main Mix, to a computer via USB, with a stereo return stream back to the M20d. 

I assumed that it can be used for recording. For me this is big issue.

I find out workaround. I connect another sound card (MOTU UltraLiteMK3 in my case) and setup it as output, StageScape as input. i am using Logic on mac. Now I can record without delay.

I would appreciate if StageScape improve drivers or whatever for recording.

I still cannot use it for live effecting using computer plugins.

• Upvote 1

"streaming" makes no promises as to any delay between input and output.

unfortunately in this instance, your assumption is incorrect, the manual is accurate.

I'm glad that you found a workaround; as stated in this thread though only modest enhancements, if any, are likely for the drivers.

I would appreciate if StageScape improve drivers or whatever for recording.

I still cannot use it for live effecting using computer plugins.

If you tried to add plugins as well, you would increase the latency even more. The M20D does what it is supposed to. It is a live sound mixer with a very useful multi-track 'record to flash media' function. The idea is you export those files to your DAW for later processing/editing. This works very well.

If you want super-low latency with plugins on a recording interface, would suggest you look at the Thunderbolt equipped UA Apollo's.

Recording interfaces and live sound mixers have to balance very different priorities.

• 4 years later...

I can't believe it ! Just bought 2 days ago especially for studio work.

How can a such expensive product could not be use without latency on a computer.

We really don't care the SD recording ! Who work with SD today ?

Who has a real solution for that ? I have The Line 6 Tone port UX2 but if i recently bought the Stagescape 20d is to have a good sound. I don't think that put my guitar to the Stagescape, then the Stagecape to my Tone port UX2, and the the Tone Port to my computer give me a good sound.

I'm disgusted ! 2 products Line 6 bought for nothing !