Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

thinking of buying a dt25

lipsucnt

What would the output volume difference be between a marshall mg 50 dfx combo and dt 25 head and cab. would the dt keep up with the mg as I am considering buying the dt to go with my pod hd 500 x. Not that I run the mg flat out far from it but I would not want to be running a new amp full bore either. Any views on this are needed. I can't try before I buy my nearest dealer is 60 miles away I believe.

considering they are both using 1X12 cabs?  I don't have the Marshall but I can assure you the DT25 is a real tube amp as opposed to the Marshall solid state and the full 25 tube watts will surprise you against 100 SS watts...  I run my DT25 head into a 2X12 and it is an ear bleeder...  you should be very happy with a DT.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the response I have a bit of grovelling to the gear purchase officer (the wife) before I can buy one but its on the wish list for sure. As I am a new 500x owner and blown away by the sounds and I can only imagine how it would sound paired with the dt .

• Upvote 1

I have the DT50 Head/DT25 Cab with an HD500, and love them....sounds great and I rarely crank it up past twelve oclock and lately been at around ten oclock on the master volume. I realize I could have gotten away with the DT25 'cause it's plenty loud and a smaller package but I really wanted the DT50 so that's whats I got and I don't regret it. This was my first amp and took me a good amount of time to get familiar with but now I'm getting really comfortable with it. I went about 4 months and the amp started to act up, the output would just go quiet after a fizzle or two and then quit all together. After while I learned about biasing tubes, bought a matched set of new original tubes put them in, set the bias and I was back in business. I thought the tubes didn't last that long but after thinking about it I probably had well over 100 hours on them, lol. I lose track of time easily when playing guitar, Hahaaa.

The 50 watts is going to be louder but I use the DT25 combo even outside I've yet to have place that it was not loud enough for. Unless you playing staidums you really don't need lot of wattage, most of the time the high wattage is needed to have headroom and as guitarist we like out tubes to break up a bit which means low wattage does this a lower volume. I was also woried about the volume as I do play clubs etc...and outside from time to time but it's yet to be problem. Plus it also has a DI out so if you need a bit more you can hook to the PA or mic it anyway.

On tube amp the tubes(valves) will give out sometimes and needs to be replaced. But it's not like it's exaclty 100 hours. I've had some last for years and others that just seem to go out after a couple of months. Usually it's not a big expense either to get a match pair to replace them with.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Palico, I knew about the tube thing before buying it and was completely new to anything about guitars and amps when I dove in. Having knowledge before jumping into anything means alot when it comes to making the most out it. A bit more info, I purchased mine online and it made a 3000 mile trek to get to me and I recall someone with experience say that the shipping can possibly mess a tube up. Regardless, I wouldn't let possibly replaceing tubes get in the way of getting one. Good luck in your decision making.

• 2 months later...

I dont have one of these amps but I have other EL84 powered amps and they run at full dissipation unlike EL34s or 6l6s which run safely at around 70 per cent dissipation.EL84s will die quickly and sound great in some circuits.In some like a Vox AC15 they will sound great for about an hour and a half . After that they sound kind of "hashy" and overheated to me.I would think Line 6 designers would have them running a little cooler than an AC15 does. I have an HD500 and would love to try one of these amps with it.

I've had my 25 for about 6 months now - 

Cons - had to replace the factory tubes about 4 months in, am watching the JJ replacements carefully.  BUT - a matched set of JJ's run around $30 bucks, I'm good with that every 6 months or so (if needed).  AND getting the 500 and DT dialed in is gonna be more work than you think - lotsa power, but lotsa fiddly complexity also.

Pros - the only one that matters, when this rig is dialed in and on cruise - it's stunning.  Just.....stunning.  Amazing tone and responsiveness.  You WILL be rewarded for your patience.  And on outdoor stages - festival stuff - more than enough go-juice, I'm rarely above 12 on the master.

• Upvote 2

I echo what RicStudio said. I've had mine for about 3 years (DT25 Head & 2 Cabs). I did replace the original tubes with Mesa's. Still going strong. I would just get a set of replacement tubes right out of the gate when you buy the amp and either put them in or keep as spares. You WILL need to replace them at some point and Murphy's Law will likely have them fail at a gig. In fact, I prefer to buy 4 matched at a time then I have a great backup system. The amp is stunning once "dialed in" as Ric said, but it takes some work (and patience) to get there.

Remember that the POD HD's are designed to marry with the DT amps. This is where the magic is.

I would also say that I am a believer in a Line Conditioner/AVR  for these DT amps. I have never had a problem with mine and I attribute it (at least in my case) to the power conditioner. I use the TrippLite 1200 as recommended buy one of the "old salts" here.

If you get yourself a DT amp, let us know how it goes.

• Upvote 1