These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

Step by Step guide to using a Midi Expression Pedal (FCB1010) with M13
by ZaxxonP on 2010-11-19 13:42:51

Hi,

I have searched all over the site and through the regular and advanced M13 manual for an explanation on how to use a midi expression pedal to control parameters in the M13. I have seen several people on the forums talking about using the FCB1010 to control, wah, volume, etc. I have also seen the Midi Control Appendix A at the back of the Advance guide. Where I get lost is how to make the M13 recognize the FCB1010 and vice versa.

I use an visual midi editor (iFCB X 2.1.1) to program the FCB1010 with Ableton and it works like a charm. I went into that editor, changed the expression pedals to CC# 1 & 2 respectively. I then hooked up the midi cables to the In and Out of the M13 and tried to set up the expression pedals the way it says to in the manual (Heel, parameter set to 0, Tow, Parameter set to 100%.) I never get any sort of response on the M13.

Can one of you MIDI wizards out there please give me a step by step guide on how to use a MIDI expression pedal with the M13. If someone chimed in who has experience with the FCB1010 in particular that would be amazing.

Thanks,

Zack

Re: Step by Step guide to using a Midi Expression Pedal (FCB1010) with M13
by bassman60 on 2010-11-20 01:10:38

You can use midi expression cables with the M13 but you can't set it up with them. For setup, you need an actual variable resistor. The easiest thing to do is buy the ex-1 pedal, use it to set heel/toe and then put it away and use the FCB. Cheaper is to solder a potentiometer to a 1/4" jack. I think the ex-1 is a 10K linear but in this application, I don't think it matters too much.

By the way, you'll want to get the Uno chip for the FCB. It's about ten bucks and has some nice features.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.