These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

POD XT Live Invalid Code Error 01 - Blank Screen Fix
by bluebluetones on 2011-11-08 14:52:18

Hi everyone,

Something to share, in the event any other users have these problems.

You can imagine my dismay to turn on my like-new POD XT Live, only to see the words "Invalid Code Error 01".  After turning it off and  on again, now the screen was simply blank.  Even more alarming was that after doing a search on the internet (and these forums) I found that I am not the only one with these problems.

When connected to my computer, Line6 Monkey would not recognize my XTL by USB, but strangely it would recognize it via MIDI to USB.  I was able to flash the firmware (according to Monkey).  Still, nothing from the XTL and only a blank screen.

These are my symptoms.  I could not stomach paying to have it repaired when it is in like-new shape and nothing unusual had happened to it.  I decided to open it up.

Here's where I have to add:

If your POD XTL is still under warranty, you should not do what I am about to describe.  Opening up of any electric device is dangerous and will void any warranty with Line 6. 

If you are at all hesitant, or you are not safety-minded do not open up your POD XT Live.  There is danger in any exposed electronic item - even when not plugged in - because great amounts of voltage are stored in harmless-looking capacitors.  This voltage can stay stored for a very long time, so don't become complacent thinking it is safe since the item has not been turned on for a week.  Furthermore, you risk additional damage to the unit.

With these points in mind, I searched the net and found a few posts describing taking the bottom off of the XTL.  I strongly suggest any interested parties to do the same. It involves taking off 8 screws along the bottom perimeter of the base and, depending on the year of your XTL, you may also have to remove the two screws found directly under the base of the volume pedal.  Lastly, remove the farthest left and right screws on the rear of the unit (the side where your cables go in).  Note one of these screws also holds the power cable lock.

Opening the POD up revealed a very impressive and tidy layout.  Using only one hand (not two to avoid grounding)  I held a small thin wooden dowel (do not use a metal rod or pen which can conduct electricity), and I firmly tapped any electrical components.  I did not hit the parts, just a firm couple of taps.  I tapped ICs, Chips, Caps, Resistors, and cable clips...basically anything that might have become loose or was not conducting properly.  This only took 2 minutes.  After that, I turned the POD over, carefully plugged in the adapter and turned it on.  It works perfectly now.  I think you can imagine how relieved I was!

The reason I am sharing this is to offer an additional view on the Blank Screen problem as well as the Error Code 01 problem.  It could be, for some users, that some parts of the POD XTL need to be seated a bit.

Please be safe and consider this instance if you have a similar problem with your POD XT Live.

Re: POD XT Live Invalid Code Error 01 - Blank Screen Fix
by MusicMiK on 2011-11-19 09:31:56

I also just had this error - in fact, i bought the unit with this error from an internet auction. Safe mode B worked, but firmware uploads didn't fix the unit.

So i started debugging the unit with a storage scope and after 9 hours of debugging, i found the problem. One PCB trace and the thru-hole connections belonging to it was open. This PCB trace is responsible for the FLASH RESET signal, which i found to be open during the debugging session while watching the pins at the FLASH chip to find out if access to it is working.

You can find this trace right underneath the "Amp Model" rotary encoder. I'm quite sure something was poured over the unit to create this damage. So if you really want to dive that deep into debugging, carefully remove the main board from the unit and check the upper side of the board for strange looking areas. In worst case, you could unsolder the rotary encoders to look below them. Lots of work but better than throwing away the unit due to such a small defect.

by p-hoenix on 2012-03-07 07:14:51

this worked for me-after a few hours on searching I was about to give up-bought an IC to replace then saw your thread and it worked! thanks so much. it was on a pod XT!

by bombe849 on 2012-08-04 18:29:40

hey lcurrell mine works if i reflash the memory but it works three time and then it quites would this be the same problom if so where would i find this default would it be that the white and black wires are hooked up wrong causing it to not keep the program running . cause mine works just as long as i reflash the unit and like i said if i unplug it for the night or like i said turn it off and on 3 time it quites i would like to know so i can get this baby to stay working thank u for posting this

Thank's Dustin

by bombe849 on 2012-08-04 21:44:25

it works until i unplug the unit from the wall

by toneman2121 on 2012-08-05 12:46:49

try this

1. Turn off the POD

2. Turn on the POD while holding down the Save and Edit buttons simultaneously

3. The POD's LCD screen should display Init Edit Buffer

4. Push the Output mode button

5. Turn the Select / Select Page knob one click to the right

6. Turn the Effect Tweak / Change Value knob to the left or right adjusting the contrast

by toneman2121 on 2012-08-05 12:50:03

you can also test some components by holding the left most soft button under the lcd while powering on

by bombe849 on 2012-08-05 15:15:55

i did when i relfahsed it and after it started woking the sram passed but still if i leave it unpluged for a while it losses everythin again and i have to reflash it to work

by bombe849 on 2012-08-05 19:06:37

i also get a code when i put it into safe mode 2 i have no idea what it means since i cant find a disccuisin like mine anyways the code says

SDRAM 0B1DDE9A

SDRAM PASS

by bombe849 on 2012-08-05 19:07:40

or the last soft button i mean holding it down turning it on

by bombe849 on 2012-08-05 19:35:28

nd just looking at it again it says

SDRAM Passed  0B1DDE9B

SDRAM PASSED

by toneman2121 on 2012-08-06 05:44:05

for you to get line6 help you have to start a new thread and mark it asw a question

by bombe849 on 2012-08-06 09:29:51

ok i did and hopefully i will get help thanks for your help.

by bombe849 on 2012-08-07 13:24:48

ok so i pluged it in by midi to usb and after it said updateing software on pod and it was all done came on but tit came up with invalid error code 01any sugestions

by toneman2121 on 2012-08-07 14:44:17

ok youstill have to start abrand new thread for line 6 help

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.