These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Safe mode ... what button for what device for what firmware etc?
by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-15 05:39:14

Experts & Line6NameGoesHere folks

I have read several different ways of accessing POD HD 'Safe Mode' on the forum.   These include:

• Power up + Directional Keypad 'Down' (The one I have been recommending)
  • Power up + Directional Keypad 'Right'
  • Power up + Directional Keypad 'Left'   (thought I also understand that this is the Global Settings Reset)

Now I am pretty sure that I have seen end users report back success with each of these button combinations but have not really been clear on why some seem to work one way afor some people and some for others.   I can only guess it relates to one or all of firmware version/POD HD device/specific functionality. 

Is there anyone who has the definitive 'What key combination does what on what' list?  I appreciate there are some functions that casual users should not mess with but the advice on the forum is already very fragmented now and that is risky.

Can anyone shine a light?

Re: Safe mode ... what button for what device for what firmware etc?
by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-15 05:47:51

Hi Jim

For the POD HD500, POD HD (bean) and POD HD Pro

• Power Up and Nav Pad Right = TEST mode and Safe Mode - used to test button and expression pedal functionality as well as to recalibrate the expression pedal.  You can avoid some flash memory update issues by updating in this mode
  • Power Up and Nav Pad Down = direct access to Flash Memory update mode - good if you need to update your flash memory and cannot access update mode in any other way
  • Power Up and Nav Pad Left = Global Parameters Reset - can get you out of a start-reboot loop if the patch you last used is corrupted because it defaults back to Set List 1 Best of HD 1A Son of Plexi - if you use this with the POD HD500 you will need to recalibrate the expression pedal and rename Set Lists 5-8 back to whatever they were named prior to resetting the Global Parameters

The POD HD300 and POD HD400 work in a different way, and not having access to one I can't be sure what the recipe is for these two units

Nick

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-15 09:38:22

Nick

That is just the ticket !  Nice and clear.  Many thanks.

Anyone who is not Nick.

Can anyone confirm the same details for the HD300/400?

Cheers

Jim

by silverhead on 2012-01-15 10:00:54

Pod HD300/400:

- power ON while holding down A Footswitch = Factory Reset. All factory presets are restored; no firmware update.

- power ON while holding down D Footswitch = Initiate Pedal Calibration procedure.

Holding down any of the nav keys does not have any effect at startup.There is no Safe Mode startup that I can see offhand on the HD400. I will investigate this further and report back if I find it. It seems to me that there should be a way to test switch/button operations but I can't find it in the documentation nor on the device itself - at least not yet.

EDIT: Found it. On the HD400 (I don't have the HD300) hold down the TAP footswitch while powering on to enter TEST mode. All switch/button operations can be tested.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-15 14:46:07

Sharp shooting Silverhead

So all we need now is safe modes for the HD300/400 and test/calibrate for the HD300 ... assuming there is a need for safe mode on the 300/400 if there is a full factory reset available in hardware.

by silverhead on 2012-01-16 06:16:58

I expect the HD300 operates the same as the HD400 in these respects, so anyone reading this with a 300 can probably use the switcheas as outlined above for the 400. But yes, an HD300 user could confirm/correct this.

As for Safe mode on the 300/400, I think it could still be useful although I don't know if it's there and if it is, I can't find the way to get into it. The reason I think there's a place for it is that the factory reset on the 300/400 only resets the presets - it does not reinstall the firmware. So I think there is an analogy to the situation in the other HD devices where you can place the device in safe mode before reinstalling the firmware. I don't know if that is necessary or useful but it seems to be a gap that the other devices provide and the 300/400 don't.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-16 06:36:16

Interesting, so there is still a hole that some, thus-far silent silent guru may be able to fill for us ....?

by Cleuvenot on 2012-01-26 12:22:26

Pod HD 300

Powering on while pressing the TAP switch initiates a TEST mode which seems quite interesting: various test informations are available on the pod screen, rotating the PRESET button.

I just discoverd that while trying to restore the footswitch leds which did not work anymore.

Finally, a factory reset did it.

Anyway, this test mode could interest some of you.

by peter77555 on 2012-08-16 05:15:48

I have dsp boot failure... I have tried reinstalling all the software, i have tried doing factory reset.. and it still doesnt work, i have a gig tomorrow and need it to work so i can restore all my settings.. PLLLEEEAAASSSSEEE HELLPPP!!!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.