How to Use the Mission SP1-L6H Toe Switch with Line6 Helix and HX
Mission Engineering manufactures two expression pedals designed specifically for use with the Helix product line.
The EP1-L6 is an expression only pedal and does not have a toe switch. It has one (TS) jack for Exp output. This pedal is designed to work with Helix Floor, LT, HX Stomp and HX Effects.
The SP1-L6H is an expression pedal that includes a toe switch. This pedal is designed to work with Helix Rack only and has two separate output jacks. One (TS) jack for Exp output and one (TS) jack for the toe switch output. The toe switch is a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) momentary contact (commonly referred to as "non-latching") switch. This pedal is designed for exclusive use with Helix Rack. For HX Stomp - If the desire is to simply use the SP1-L6H toe switch as an external foot switch 4 or 5, no modifications to the SP1-L6H are required. It will perform that function right out of the box.
There is no provision in Helix Floor, LT or HX Effects to use an external expression pedal toe switch as an additional controller or foot switch but with a mod we can utilize this functionality.
Both pedals incorporate a 10K ohm pot for the expression output and both are built in the exact same enclosure/housing. The additional holes in the EP1-L6 have plugs installed in them.
To modify either the EP1-L6 or the SP1-L6H so as to be able to utilize the toe switch output as an expression input to the Helix Floor, LT, HX Stomp or HX Effects.
The idea of utilizing the toe switch came up when a user wanted to use the SP1-L6H as a traditional Wah pedal. Meaning the toe switch would simply toggle the Wah block in their Preset ON or OFF.
With a little imagination there could be many more use cases. For example, the toe switch could toggle on a Delay block and then use the expression to control the Delay's Feedback parameter.
Or the toe switch could be used to set any parameter on any block, completely independent of what the expression output is controlling.
This mod is easily performed on the EP1-L6 pedal also as the housings are the same. The holes are already drilled and have plugs in them.
Notes on modifying the EP1-L6 (non-toe switch pedal) - As mentioned above, both pedals are built in the same enclosure. These modifications will require the addition of a (TS) output jack (along with the additional components listed below) if you are adding this feature to the EP1-L6 pedal. Also, you may need to add a felt or other pad under the treadle to engage the toe switch.
For HX Stomp Only - If the desire is to simply use the SP1-L6H toe switch as an external foot switch 4 or 5, no modifications to the SP1-L6H are required. It will perform that function right out of the box.
1 -- Replacement Toe Switch as described below. The stock toe switch for a Crybaby Wah is a perfect replacement.
1 -- 100 ohm resistor. 1/4 watt is fine. The 100 ohm value is a suggestion. You can use whatever low value you have on hand. The Exp Input just needs to see something when the switch is off, or Helix will default back to the onboard Exp Pedal. Whatever value you end up with, you will need to adjust the "Bypass Assign" "Position" parameter to match that resistance value for the parameter being controlled to enable. For a 100 ohm resistor this will be about 25%.
1 -- 10K ohm resistor. 1/4 watt is fine.
* The 10K resistor could be a pot or trim pot if a variable output is desired. This could be used for more granular control of the toe switch's expression input to the Helix/HX.
* For the purpose of this article, the above resistor values will be used.
For the SP1-L6H
1. Replace the stock toe switch with a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) maintained contact switch. Commonly referred to as "latching". The stock toe switch for a Crybaby Wah is a perfect replacement.
2. Solder one end of the 100 ohm resistor to the N.O. terminal of the new toe switch.
3. Solder one end of the 10K ohm resistor to the N.C. terminal of the new toe switch.
4. Solder the two loose ends of the resistors to the Red wire going to the output jack.
5. Solder the C (common) terminal of the new toe switch to the Black wire going to the output jack.
For this example we will use the expression pedal with it's new toe switch functionality as a traditional Wah pedal. Pressing the toe switch once will turn the Wah block ON. Pressing the toe switch again will turn the Wah block OFF.
For Helix, LT and HX Effects
1. Select the Wah Block in your Preset.
2. Select Main Menu
3. Select "Bypass Assign"
4. Set "Switch" to whichever Exp Input you are using for the Toe Switch.
5. Set "Position" to 25%.
6. SAVE SAVE
7. Select Main Menu
8. Select "Controller Assign"
9. Set "Parameter" to "Position".
10. Set "Controller" to the exp input you want to use for the Wah function.
11. SAVE SAVE
For HX Stomp
1. Select the Wah Block in your Preset.
1. Select Main Menu
2. Select "Bypass Assign"
3. Set "Switch" to the expression input you want to use for the toe switch input.
4. Set the Position parameter to 25%.
5. SAVE SAVE
6. Select Main Menu
7. Select "Controller Assign"
8. Set "Param" to "Psition".
9. Set "Controller" to the expression input you want to use for the Wah function.
10. SAVE SAVE
Go play guitar.