Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-89F vs JTV-59 (Why is the 89F cheaper?)

Hi,

I'm going to order a Variax very soon. Initially I was planning to buy a JTV-59 model but because of the Floyd Rose licensed tremolo and the 24 frets I'd rather buy a JTV-89F (decades ago I owned a Washburn with Floyd Rose trem which was rock solid in it's tuning and I really liked the fine tuners). I'm not a shredder or metalhead at all so for me it's not about the model (appearance) itself or the hi-output pickups, just the tremolo and the nut locks.

Here's my question: the JTV-89F is cheaper than the JTV-59 (I live in Holland). The 89f costs € 856,- and the 59 costs € 894,- (that's in "Euro's" €). Isn't that a bit weird (esp. because the 89F is equipped with the Floyd rose lic. tremolo)?

So: is the JTV-89F as good as the JTV-59 (in build quality)?

BTW: The full model name is: "Line 6 JTV-89F-US Black James Tyler Variax HH". but it's made in Korea so I guess the US is an error on the website?

( http://www.bax-shop.nl/elektrische-gitaar/line-6-jtv-89f-us-black-james-tyler-variax-hh )

May not mean anything, but lately I've seen more complaints about low E string piezo "plink" on the 89's than anything else.

The biggest differences between the models are the necks. If it were me, I'd be making my decision based mostly on what I thought I'd be comfortable with. Realistically, the odds of getting a lemon are probably the same no matter what you choose.

May not mean anything, but lately I've seen more complaints about low E string piezo "plink" on the 89's than anything else.

The biggest differences between the models are the necks. If it were me, I'd be making my decision based mostly on what I thought I'd be comfortable with. Realistically, the odds of getting a lemon are probably the same no matter what you choose.

Weird since the 89s have the graphtechs. 

I would say the difference is the 59 tobacco and cherry sunbursts have a lot nicer "knurled" face.  I own both and would say the builds are the same but just a little more time put into the "burst" finish on the 59.  The guitars do play differently as you would expect with the different scale lengths but I really do not think it is a build quality issue.

The mags on the 89F are definitely hotter and actually will go into single coil mode on the 2nd and 4th 5 Blade pick up selector.