Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 59 modeling hum

Hey gents,

My jtv 59 arrived at my door step today and i do have to say it feels great. The modeling sounds great but i get a hiss into my amp when i switch to any modeling. It almost sounds like a grounding issue. The hiss is really apparent when i start adding some gain to my amp. As soon as I switch to magnetic pickups it goes away. Is there a fix for this issue and is it known? 

thanks for your time,

dizz

The amp is a fender princeton 112 with coil reverb. The jtv is 1/4" to my amp. I just ran it to my pocket pod and its better. Its no louder than a buzz on my magnetic pickups . I do not run a noise gate and once i play it sounds great. Ill see if can grab a recording for you guys. I am under the impression that with the pizeo on it should be whisper quite. Am I wrong?

Let me back up a second after thinking about this.  I can't tell how loud your volume is since you did not play any notes.  There is an annoying buzz no matter whether you have modeling or Mags.  Can you make a recording where you play a couple notes and then mute the strings and see how loud the hiss is relative to the notes?  I never notice any hiss with mine unless I have something high gain set up on my pod.  Then you need a noise gate to make it quiet when you are not playing.

I have not flashed it at all. I hear it on all models. Some models are better then others. I tried bringing the gain on the strings down like 5db and its still there. The hum is also not consistent which leads me to believe its not normal. 

Just flashed it and still no difference. I think im going to open a support ticket. Thanks everyone!

dizz

That route is gonna eat up precious return time...might be better off swapping it for another one. They're gonna tell you that it either needs to go to an "authorized service center", most of which leave a great deal to be desired, or back to L6...which is the better option, but will take a while. Almost certainly quicker to get a new one.