Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rock Band with a Variax!

ColonelForbin

Wishful thinking here; would be pretty sweet if the game developers who do stuff like Rock Band 4 would figure out how to take it to the next level, and add Variax integration!! 

They could call it "Real Rock Band" :)

No more pressing buttons on a fake guitar; you gotta PLAY that riff for real!

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/rock-band-4-announced/

Fender already did that a few years ago. I don't think it went over all that well, as it was discontinued not too long after its introduction. I think the overlap of people who play the game and people who actually play guitar is relatively small. Or perhaps actually trying to nail those riffs for real in the context of the game is too hard.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-rock-band-3-fender-squier-guitar-controller-197063.phtml

There already is, its called Rocksmith and its pretty cool actually...  No Variax but it uses real guitars...

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/

"Learn how to play guitar in 60 days"...ugh.

Brought to you by Empty Promises Inc, makers of the "By Next Tuesday You Won't Be Fat Anymore" dietary suppliment. Just 17 pills a day! Order in the next 10 minutes and get a second bottle of dehydrated rice pellets FREE! (shipping and handling charges may apply. Offer not valid in all 50 states)

• Upvote 1

"Learn how to play guitar in 60 days"...ugh.

Brought to you by Empty Promises Inc, makers of the "By Next Tuesday You Won't Be Fat Anymore" dietary suppliment. Just 17 pills a day! Order in the next 10 minutes and get a second bottle of dehydrated rice pellets FREE! (shipping and handling charges may apply. Offer not valid in all 50 states)

It's a really good practice tool.  The drills and exercises had me doing things I wouldn't have done on my own and helped with speed and accuracy.  YMMV...

It's a really good practice tool.  The drills and exercises had me doing things I wouldn't have done on my own and helped with speed and accuracy.  YMMV...

Fair enough, but then that's how it should be marketed.

The implication however, is that Joe Average who "always wanted to play guitar", can learn an instrument inside of two months with this miraculous tool. It's disingenuous at best. I'm not saying it's entirely useless, and one can benefit from all sorts of different instructional methods. But there's a world of difference between giving someone who already has a skill set and years of experience a few new ideas to work with, and taking a Day 1 novice and promising to turn them into a musician in 2 months. The occasional legendary prodigy aside, that ain't happening.