Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No Longer 28 Models on JTVs?

I am looking at buying a JTV-59.  When I look online I see this advertised as providing models of 28 different guitars.  This is also true of Revision D of  the Line 6 JTV manual, but Revision E (is this the current one? Date is 2013) only lists 23.  The changes from Revision D to E drop 2 T-Model/Tele's, 2 in the Lester category, and 1 in the Special category.  There are still 5 selector positions for each bank, but the missing models are replaced by location of the pickups (e.g., neck, bridge) for that .  Can someone explain what has happened to the missing five models?

not sure... they've actually added new models as an optional add on with the downloadable models of the JTV 89 (all its pickup positions)

i know that some of the models changed with the variax 2.0 software, perhaps they got rid of some in the process.

in any case the older firmwares are still available of desired... there would be tradeoffs of course... you may lose features, fixes, and functionality... but the sounds are available none the less.

Dear Silverhead,

Line 6 advertises that a player can access 28 pre-set guitar models using just the controls on the guitar, that is, not having to use some other equipment or special software.  For players not as familiar with computer modeling as you and many forum participants are, this is quite attractive. 

The methodology for calculating that number is clear.  Using that methodology, the current number is 23.  Line 6 has apparently modified their manuals accordingly.  It should modify its advertising to be consistent as well, including so that potential buyers are not uncertain if they are getting correct information.  If I was in the company, I would not see this as criticism, but rather as constructive feedback from the customer base.

• Upvote 1

Dear Silverhead,  thanks for your email, and sorry if I was over-sensitive.  I like the Variax concept and would like to see the company succeed with it.  However, I do think that to do so they will need to appeal not only to players who are pretty tech- and computer-savvy (as most of the Forum members seem to be) but also to players who like the versatility of the Variax but are looking for easier access to it.  This starts with the materials that a potential buyer looks at, where the Line 6 folks have some problems in presenting the product clearly and consistently, and for which there are other examples beyond the "28 versus 23" issue I mentioned here.  As a Line 6 expert, do you have a way to pass concerns of this type on to the company?  Thanks.

Little known fact...Ponce de Leon was just looking for a bar with a decent jukebox. Local indigenous personnel had a sense of humor...had the poor bastard traipsing all over Florida for the "Fountain of Youth"...advertising has sucked for centuries, and will continue to suck as long as there's money. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question a little off topic . With all the great work they have done on the variax over the years .And the acoustic modeling . Why isn't there any nylon string models ? If not on the guitar at least in work bench ?

Paul

I have a question a little off topic . With all the great work they have done on the variax over the years .And the acoustic modeling . Why isn't there any nylon string models ? If not on the guitar at least in work bench ?

Paul

Probably because it might be more difficult to satisfyingly model a nylon guitar. Making a steel string instrument emulate a steel string instrument is easy, making a steel string instrument emulate a nylon string instrument is more difficult.

We'd either be happy to have a nylon-esque sound, or be complaining about why it doesn't sound better.

Personally I'd like to hear them try, at least give us another tonal palette for an acoustic guitar.

they do have a nylon tone on the now discontinued variax acoustic....

its a common request.... and from what i understand they just havent been happy enough with their efforts to release one....

although its likely been a while since they've tried.