Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L2m set up

Paultm

Hi,

Waiting for delivery of my Helix, what is the best set up for the L2m?

1. Amp -Pre or not?
  2. No Cab ?
  3. L2m Guitar mode - will be saved like the HD500 as part of the patch?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks for the quick reply,

I currently use HD500 which sounds great with Guitar mode, with either  pre or full amp models depending on which sounds best.

i use the L2m as my amp/monitor, are you suggesting that the Guitar mode is not going to sound better? Apologies for labouring the point but until I used the L2m in guitar mode,  I could not get a good tone with PA speaker.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I currently use HD500 which sounds great with Guitar mode, with either  pre or full amp models depending on which sounds best.

i use the L2m as my amp/monitor, are you suggesting that the Guitar mode is not going to sound better? Apologies for labouring the point but until I used the L2m in guitar mode,  I could not get a good tone with PA speaker.

If it doesn't sound good in PA/Ref mode, and you are sending to FOH as well, it likely sounds off there as well. It could be that your patches have some eq problems in high or low end and being in guitar mode removes those frequencies, but it may be better to adjust your patches so that they sound goon in PA mode?

Always trust your ears, but the closest approximation of what the real amp sounds like mic'ed up is with full amp models and StageSource speakers set to P.A./Reference. If Guitar speaker mode sounds better, it may be that you're looking for more of an amp-in-a-room tone, which is completely cool.

Thanks for all the reply's I am looking for an amp in the room sound and will let my ears be the judge, can't wait to start exploring the all the potential of this product.

I assume the L6 link is the best connection ?

Thanks,

So does Helix save the mode that is used on the L2m for that patch?

No, we removed that feature. It caused more trouble than it was worth. If a bunch of people really want it, it's something we'd consider adding back in. IMHO, for the best and most consistent experience, StageSource's speaker mode should really be global when connected to Helix.

So when I use my JTV59 and select an acoustic model I can't use the acoustic mode on the L2?

I really believe the L6 connectivity is a must for Customers that use this nice functionality, and if you want users to transition to Helix then it needs to be there.

Thanks again for the response, appreciate it.

I believe that everything that Acoustic Mode on an L2 offers can be done on a Helix with a lot more control.

For example the "Body" control can be achieved with a IR block and an Acoustic guitar IR.  What is not clear is whether Helix at launch includes any Acoustic Guitar IRs - Line 6 have some because that is how Variax and the L2 mimic a guitar body already.

Thanks for all the reply's I am looking for an amp in the room sound and will let my ears be the judge, can't wait to start exploring the all the potential of this product.

There's nothing wrong with setting the L2 in guitar mode of that's what sounds good to your ears, just know that if you are also sending the POD directly to the PA, the tone you are hearing on stage is very likely to be significantly different than what the audience is hearing. With the PA being FRFR, and the L2 behaving more like a traditional guitar cabinet, your gonna get two very different sounds from any given patch.

• 2 weeks later...

So according to the manual -

"Connecting an L6 LINK device to Helix automatically disables S/PDIF out and routes audio out the digital XLR connector - no adjustments of the Global Settings > Ins/Outs > Digital Audio or Sample Rate options are necessary​"

Does this mean I cannot send a feed to the PA from XLR or 1/4 outs when using L6 link?