Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Placing amp after mixer block?

Onomatopoeia

Hi!

I realized that you can place the amp sim after the mixer block. How would this differ from having it before the mixer? (POD HD500X) I noticed a bit more distortion in the GK bass amp sim I'm using while placing it after.

If I place it after the mixer it also seems to make it possible to have two seperate signal chains (or one divided) inte the amp sim. Would this make it possible to use this setup for a "clean blend" for a distortion pedal going into the bass amp? This would be creat since i now have to use a dual amp setup with one clean and one dirty for distortion settings with bass. It's complicated to always having to count for two amps when changing minor EQ and takes a lot of DSP.

/Danne

Hi!

I realized that you can place the amp sim after the mixer block. How would this differ from having it before the mixer? (POD HD500X) I noticed a bit more distortion in the GK bass amp sim I'm using while placing it after.

If I place it after the mixer it also seems to make it possible to have two seperate signal chains (or one divided) inte the amp sim. Would this make it possible to use this setup for a "clean blend" for a distortion pedal going into the bass amp? This would be creat since i now have to use a dual amp setup with one clean and one dirty for distortion settings with bass. It's complicated to always having to count for two amps when changing minor EQ and takes a lot of DSP.

/Danne

I can place the amp after the mixer???? LOL Well I'lllllllll Beeeeeeeee. Maybe I tried it years ago and forgot, lol. I learn something new every day. Thanks man!

PS: Oh wait I've got the HD500, I gotta check it out. It works YAAAAAYYYYYY!

Edited by Brazzy

Hi Danne..

the mixer placed before the amp could work also as a booster, for example if the pan controls are centered the signal reaching the amp put right after the mixer is boosted..

as you said, this solution could work to save DSP resources but have 2 different chains (eg. clean and distorted) alternately reaching the same amp..

to do that surely there are several solutions, but one that came to my mind now is to place a volume pedal FX at the end of each different chain/path before the mixer and make one of them working in reverse.. or even better put just a pan control before the paths split point

Thanks for the replies guys! How would i set the pan controls to not boost the amp?

Well no official source. It's my personal experience that at some point I've found out I didn't need that anymore. I can't remember the firmware. Maybe it was a bug in previous firmware and I've exploited a bug they fixed. Who knows...