Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about 'stereo' vs. 'stereo wide' mode in FH1500

ColonelForbin

So my question! @L6Arne, are you able to clarify the difference between 'stereo' and 'stereo wide'?

I just spent the last hour or so getting my Helix + FH1500 to pair well with each other. Really getting much, much happier with the sounds I am getting!!. Working a combination of Helix cab high & low cut, plus some global EQ (also on helix) and also messing with the Fh1500 stereo mode and floor/wall/free speaker mode. 

Note to all trying to use Helix + FH1500. Definitely use the app to control the volumes and mess with those wide / stereo settings, and definitely mess with the floor and wall bass cut modes. Majorly helpful!!! I missed that first few times I used it and was not optimal due to my user error..

Thus far I like regular 'stereo' on the FH1500 (not wide stereo / not mono), and I am running Helix with the volume maxed or almost maxed. I am floating between floor and wall for the FH1500 bass cut / speaker mode. Depends on the patch..

Need to do some recording tests to figure out how that sounds coming off the FH1500 XLR out vs the Helix XLR out.

Anyway, sounds really good at very loud volumes. Got it *cranked* and sounding full and smooth! The bass response / cut just toggling between the three speaker modes on the FH1500 are pretty drastic. In 'free' mode the bass is huge and overpowering. Depending on the patch you are using, I have found good tones from both wall and floor modes.

The "free" mode has added bass because that is the mode to use when the Firehawk 1500 is off the floor, like on a stand or rack, etc. and the floor or wall isn't adding bass to the tone. The Atomic Clr has the same design for being on a stand and is bass heavy too in that switch setting.

The stereo wide speaker mode uses an algorithm that gives a wider stereo spread perception. You will realize the difference only with strong stereo effects.

Yes; seemed like a little treble boost and top end clarity that was subtle but the change to the stereo image was certainly noticeable - it was really interesting to toggle between stereo and stereo wide. Quite nice, well done!!

I am really impressed with the FH1500 global EQ as well - that is sweet!! It was easy to set the global EQ to on the FH1500 using the app on my Android phone; and this helped alot to tweak the tuning of the FH1500 to mesh better with various Helix patches. The app has also been great for adjusting volume levels and auditioning back and forth for the speaker and stereo mode. 

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

I mostly play and record guitar using ipad and PC modelling apps such as Bias FX, running the output through my studio monitors, which actually sounds very good!

Havn't played live for a few years now so i dont actually own a guitar amp anymore, but i'm hoping to get back into it and looking to be playing at rehersal at live gigs  more soon, so was thinking the Firehawk 1500 might be ideal for my needs.

The other thing that attracted me about it was the Wet/Dry/Wet configuration, which i thought might give me a better / more interesting tone whilst practicing etc..as well as live ;-).

So... I had a chance to try out a Firehawk 1500 at a local guitar store at the weekend and to be honest i was a little disappointed, but it might have been something that i diddnt have set correctly on the amp. I expected to be able to tell that it was wet/dry/wet, but it didn't even sound like it was stereo to me! - I tried setting up some modulation effects - chrous,flanger etc set pretty wide but the output from the amp still just sounded like mono .. I know it's just one box but i did expect to be able to hear some seperation of the left/centre/right channels.

Reading this post though, i thinking maybe it was set to mono! I didn't see the options for Speaker modes in the app - where abouts is this option, is it only in the menus on the amp itself ?

I like to know if it sounds obviously stereo when set to stereo? If so then i might have to back and have another listen! 

Thanks

Rich

• 6 months later...

The stereo wide speaker mode uses an algorithm that gives a wider stereo spread perception. You will realize the difference only with strong stereo effects.

So is this the only difference? I read a quote on another thread from Will from Line 6 stating that the only way to enable the center speaker using the monitor inputs in stereo was to use stereo wide. I haven't been able to try it yet, but the Firehawk has been useless to me at high volumes in stereo with my Helix. The sound is mufflied and clips at volumes over about 50%. Is the answer simply to switch to stereo wide?

This is the quote that I saw. Can anyone tell me if this is the case?.........

In Stereo mode the monitor inputs only power the smaller coax speakers, this is why the limiter kicks in early, because you're only using the smaller speakers and you don't want to blow them. Stereo Wide utilizes the center speaker for full power. Mono mode also uses all the speakers for full power.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Will - Line 6 Support

Monitor In, L/R (this is what I get, over here):

Mono; Top Horn, Center Speaker - No limiters as small Coaxial are not engaged. It does work basically as a standard single FRFR speaker.

Stereo; Left Coaxial, Center Speaker, Right Coaxial - Limiters kick in to protect Coaxial

Stereo Wide; Left Coaxial, Center Speaker, Top Horn, Right Coaxial - Limiters kick in to protect Coaxial

FH1500_Speakers.jpg

Monitor In, L/R (this is what I get, over here):

Mono; Top Horn, Center Speaker - No limiters as small Coaxial are not engaged. It does work basically as a standard single FRFR speaker.

Stereo; Left Coaxial, Center Speaker, Right Coaxial - Limiters kick in to protect Coaxial

Stereo Wide; Left Coaxial, Center Speaker, Top Horn, Right Coaxial - Limiters kick in to protect Coaxial

FH1500_Speakers.jpg

Are you sure about this? Everything that I have read so far has said that the only way to engage the center horn is to plug into the input of the Firehawk as opposed to the monitor inputs.

Yeah I'm pretty sure.

I did the test feeding a continuous white noise signal going into the back monitor in L/R and then changing speaker scheme in the app.

The exit compressor seems working for both mono and wide stereo. In wide stereo it does probably use a different crossover setting to drive less highs on the exit compressor, probably to create that "wide" feeling.

If you have the amp you can test yourself. Just remove the front cover and check. :)

Yeah I'm pretty sure.

I did the test feeding a continuous white noise signal going into the back monitor in L/R and then changing speaker scheme in the app.

The exit compressor seems working for both mono and wide stereo. In wide stereo it does probably use a different crossover setting to drive less highs on the exit compressor, probably to create that "wide" feeling.

If you have the amp you can test yourself. Just remove the front cover and check. :)

Thank you for replying. I have the amp but it's not at my house to test. Your answer explains why it only really works in mono...very frustrating.