Is there room on the JTV 89F to install a Roland GK3 PUP between the bridge and pickup mounting ring? If not is there a replacement pickup mounting ring that will increase the space to allow the GK3 to be mounted?

No, ...you'll have to make room. I had to move the bridge pickup about 1/4" toward the neck to install it. Well worth it!

post-54985-0-22669800-1463174573_thumb.jpg

post-54985-0-49852200-1463174588_thumb.jpg

post-54985-0-03645100-1463174613_thumb.jpg

@rickthestick that is NOT for the faint hearted....came out great nonetheless...

I have a couple PRS's that I put the GK-Kit into. THAT was a much tougher job. Very clean, nothing shows except the pickup and the connection plate for the cable. There was no room in the 89F for the connection plate or the electronics internally. For whatever reason, this one tracks even better than the PRS's. Love having the GR-55 in addition to the Helix, great combo!

@rickthestick - thanks for that, was specifically hunting around for folks who'd tried this before.. I'm a longtime GR-55 user, have the GK-3s in my Strats etc. I've just ordered the 89F and was thinking it would be great to add the GK3... I live in India so I can't even try out the 89f before I buy - it's on order and I've just gotta hope for the best ;-).

Not sure if I have the surgical skills to pull off what you did, so I thought I'd just check; if you could cut away the skinny bit of the bridge-pickup mounting ring that's closest to the bridge, would that make just enough room to squeeze the GK-3 in? From looking at the pics you've posted, it looks to me that it just might.. would be great if I could get the actual measurements :-). 

Also good to hear that it tracks well - on the Strat, for example, the GK3 can be fitted so that it's just pretty close to the saddles (which Roland recommends as ideal for good tracking); and here with the Floyd being mounted the way it is, it looked like there would be a fair distance between the string-saddle point and the GK3.

Cheers!

Try JamOrigin MIDI guitar 2 before you invest in too much hardware.

@amsdenj - Already a long-time user of the GR-55 and value it's usability as a pedal.. not sure I'm ready to start carrying a laptop etc on stage.. :-)

That said, have been hearing good things about the Jam Origin stuff - will check it out.

I don’t use a GK pickup on my JTV89F anymore, but I used a conversion pickup ring I bought on eBay to mount the GK3 with zero permanent modification. You just replace the bridge humbucker mounting ring with it and it gives you the clearance and a flat mounting space that doesn’t contact the guitar body. You may want to look into fabricating one yourself with a sheet of metal or plastic.

I have been using a GK3 on my JTV89F for about 3 years with no issues. I just trimmed the backside of the rear pickup ring  and this gives just enough room to install the pickup. In my case I epoxied the pickup to the edges of the ring to eliminate any movement or shifting. (I have 6 guitars of all types with GK3's installed) Has worked great.