Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Models were actually profiled?

BoneToner

I was hoping someone, possibly at line 6, could tell me which specific models/year were used when profiling the amps/pedals/etc. I have been comparing the modeling to the originals that I own and so far most have been incredibly accurate. But, as an example, the rat model could be one of multiple incarnations. And, as an example, with the amps what model of twin did you use? Tweed, black face, silver face, reissue?

Most of the amp models are described here: http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434c087052430f5d6523b/application/pdf/POD%20HD%20Series%20Model%20Gallery%20-%20English%20%28%20Rev%20E%20%29.pdf

This was the model gallery for the HD series, and the Helix is using the same actual amps in many cases. The Helix models were re-done from the ground-up, though. Actually, if you go to the Line 6 Headquarters in Calabasas, CA, you can see the actual collection. It's pretty cool.The Twin is a vintage Blackface, for sure.

Thanks for the quick reply phil_m!

That completely solved my amp side of the question!

While looking through that pdf the effects models weren't really explained though. I'm really curious as to which model/year fuzz face, big muff, rat, etc. are. I agree it's very nit picky, but I was just hoping on starting to make a couple videos and want to compare apples to apples. Also I really hope they add all of those effects listed to the helix soon! And they should definitely throw a similar type of explanation of those amps/effects from the pod hd into the helix's manual.

They may not actually know the actual year of some of the effects, as some of them are notoriously hard to date. I think that some of the standard effects models that Line 6 has modeled over the years have actually changed, too. I know they've borrowed different pedals from different players over the years.

Oh I completely understand that.

I guess for me it's more is it a vintage version or new. And for instances like the big muff is it the green Russian, Black Russian, triangle, Rams head, little big muff, etc. I am assuming it's the triangle due to the name of the block but I could be wrong. Or on the rat is it an old one with the lm308 chip or modern or white face or turbo? Might be cool to have different models as a parameter.

Anyways thanks again!

Made my first video comparing Timmy vs Helix In my opinion it nailed the sound although the parameters have to be adjusted a little different Helix definitely has a bit more gain on tap which is kind of cool. Heres the video if you care to watch it 

This is my first video and hope to make many more in the next couple months. Comments and suggested improvements are greatly appreciated.

Oh I completely understand that.

I guess for me it's more is it a vintage version or new. And for instances like the big muff is it the green Russian, Black Russian, triangle, Rams head, little big muff, etc. I am assuming it's the triangle due to the name of the block but I could be wrong. Or on the rat is it an old one with the lm308 chip or modern or white face or turbo? Might be cool to have different models as a parameter.

Anyways thanks again!

I see this come up often..  

Because of the way that Line6 models at the component level, you are actually getting ALL years ALL versions.   As example distortion units change over time with different versions...  they generally don't change the integral component that creates their sound.  They change pots, caps and resistors to enhance and filter differently.  Ultimately, just changing the tone NOT how it reacts to playing.  You can change the tone with some creative use of EQ before or after the block and accomplish the same thing or in the case of some, just change the tone and gain control.

With the AMP simulations it's even easier because the overall design doesn't really change, but some supporting parts generally change the tube voltages a little.... well...   we have control over those settings..  

As an asside...  when asking what version, you might want to ask what serial number.   I'm serious.   Find someone who as example has 3 TS-808's from the same era/version.   Line them up.  Unless they have been rebuilt or at least re-cap'd, and using a regulated power supply...  set the controls in the exact same positions... you will have THREE different sounds.  Subtle, almost indistinguishable, but if you look at them on signal analyzer, they will be different.     We don't notice cause we adjust the settings to match what we want.  

This is especially true with amps, even moreso with hand wired amps.  Someone at NAMM asked one of the Line6 folks why they don't model a Dumble and after the "because no one will loan us one to take apart" answer, I guess the Line 6 guy had aleady had about enough and continud with.. "do you want the one with the Overdrive with the this, that and other thing" and went on what seemed like a 5 minute rant of every Dumble model and every possible modification of each one and then asked the guy which one they should model.