Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

EXP 1 <=> EXP 2

pilottes

Is it possible to toggle between one and the other by assigning a footwitch other the the Toe Switch.

Let say I assign the amp gain parameter to vary smootly with the position of EXP 1. To switch from EXP 2 (volume) to EXP 1 I would have to press the expression pedal toe switch to toggle to EXP 1 but maxing out the volume in doing so. I want to move this ability to switch to a normal footswitch FS-1-5 or FS 7-11. ...

You can't move the EXP toe switch elsewhere, but you can use another switch to toggle between, say Volume and Wah and leave both controlled by the same EXP:

1. On the Footswitch Assign page, change the assignment of both the Volume and Wah blocks to the to the desired footswitch.
  2. On the Controller Assign page, change the assignment of one of them so they're the same.
  3. If both blocks are on (or both off), select one and press BYPASS.

Pressing the switch will then toggle between control of Volume and Wah.

Unfortunately, this doesn't really apply when assigning a Volume block and a Gain parameter to the same footswitch. In this case, to avoid the EXP toe switch, the best solution is to simply connect a second expression pedal.

I suggested this implementation on ideascale in December I think. I'm having a hard time logging in to post the link on here, still, if you guys can please vote for the idea! Once I'm back on my laptop I'll track down the link.

• 1 year later...

The solution I came up with to assigning exp toe to a foot switch was as follows.

Set a toggle CC (59) midi message out on the switch of your choice on the same channel as your helix is set to, set dim value to 0, set  lit value to 127 in command centre. This goes out the midi out port thru my H9s (which have to set to midi thru) back into the helix switching the expression pedal without having to max out my volume to make the switch, Cool !!!

Of course you need to daisy chain all your midi pedals with the last one returning back into the Helix midi input, and check that midi thru is off on the Helix (Global Settings > Midi/Tempo) , to stop the midi message looping and switching between the two exp pedals 50 times a second

If you don't have or are not using external midi pedals (I haven't actually tried this but I can't see why it wouldn't work) try the above with a midi lead straight across the Midi in and out ports on the Helix.

• Upvote 1

If you don't have or are not using external midi pedals (I haven't actually tried this but I can't see why it wouldn't work) try the above with a midi lead straight across the Midi in and out ports on the Helix.

Cool idea! Don't know what i would use this for as I can usually set things up with the proper stomp or snapshot assignment but I could see this coming in handy sooner or later.

• Downvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/1/2016 at 1:26 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

You can't move the EXP toe switch elsewhere, but you can use another switch to toggle between, say Volume and Wah and leave both controlled by the same EXP:

1. On the Footswitch Assign page, change the assignment of both the Volume and Wah blocks to the to the desired footswitch.
  2. On the Controller Assign page, change the assignment of one of them so they're the same.
  3. If both blocks are on (or both off), select one and press BYPASS.

Pressing the switch will then toggle between control of Volume and Wah.

Unfortunately, this doesn't really apply when assigning a Volume block and a Gain parameter to the same footswitch. In this case, to avoid the EXP toe switch, the best solution is to simply connect a second expression pedal.

I know this is an old post, but I thought this might be better than reposting the same question. Hello everyone (former Fractal guy to now Helix).

I'm trying to figure out how to do these instruction but I don't seem to understand it. I'm trying to essentially have my volume pedal EXP1 switch to a Wah Pedal (without changing the volume) with a footswitch. Are the instructions on how I can do that?

All the instructions are really saying is assign both wah and volume blocks to the same footswitch.  Make sure that EXP1 is controlling them the way desired. Using Edit or the Helix itself make sure that one effect is on and one off. Now save. When you step on the footswitch one will turn on and the other off. The EXP1 is controlling both of them all the time it just makes one of the effects bypass while turning the other on.  

The problem with this is that if it turns off the volume block then it will change your volume.  what you really want to do is switch to EXP2 with a footswitch which I am not sure you can do.

• 1 year later...
On 5/23/2017 at 6:51 AM, dinodave321 said:

The solution I came up with to assigning exp toe to a foot switch was as follows.

Set a toggle CC (59) midi message out on the switch of your choice on the same channel as your helix is set to, set dim value to 0, set  lit value to 127 in command centre. This goes out the midi out port thru my H9s (which have to set to midi thru) back into the helix switching the expression pedal without having to max out my volume to make the switch, Cool !!!

Of course you need to daisy chain all your midi pedals with the last one returning back into the Helix midi input, and check that midi thru is off on the Helix (Global Settings > Midi/Tempo) , to stop the midi message looping and switching between the two exp pedals 50 times a second

Unfortunately I use my MIDI out port to control a pedal that doesn't have a MIDI thru. I saw there is a post on ideascale, it would be great (and probably not too complicated) to implement this. 

Edit: https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Toggle-Expression-Pedal-selection-with-Footswitch/967640-23508