Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patch change latency in 2.00.0

malhavok

Seems "fixed" to me so far. I don't notice any of the old "fade-in" after changing complex patches. Not only that, it seems blazing fast as a result. After twelve different "five page long" posts about how bad it was, we need to give some love for the improvements.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed what I perceived to be faster patch switching also after 2.0, also, though didn't see any reference to it in the release notes.  Seemed fairly significantly faster that what I remembered from before 2.0, though.  Still noticeable, but I'd guess around twice as fast, give or take.  It's entirely possible it's all my head - I didn't pay too much attention to it before since the patch switch time didn't affect me directly.

Good, good....although I think snapshots may have solved my patch change issues if I can instantly change gain and effects parameters within a patch. But fixing that patch change latency is definitely a good thing.

This may not be particularly relevant to anything but the next-gen Helix II (or "Double Helix") but It occurs to me that now every Helix preset in essence has become to some extent a "bank" of 8 presets (snapshots) and L6 has effectively eliminated switching latency, at least within a preset. Eight snapshots is more than enough different scenarios for most songs. I know this may sound like blasphemy but perhaps the next version of the Helix could have fewer presets slots and instead commit that memory to other functionality?  

Right now some folks still need to switch presets within a song if the pedals they need for different parts are significantly different (you can't change the effects from snapshot to snapshot) for the alternate song part and they can't get everything into one preset without exhausting the DSP.  For most songs though snapshots do the trick, the need for additional presets within a song has been vastly decreased. If the next Helix version has enough DSP for most people to jam everything they want into one preset (many find they have enough DSP already) then maybe we won't need over 1000 preset slots and that memory could instead be dedicated to more amp/effects, more and larger IRs, functionality as yet to be imagined, or whatever.

I guess I am just trying to say that snapshots have substantially reduced my need for a large number of presets slots and as a result those hardware reserves could probably be used for something else in the next version of the Helix (or maybe even this one). It is unfortunate that people compare the max number of available preset slots between competitor's MFX offerings because given the new paradigm established by the addition of snapshots I think that space could probably be put to better use, I hope the market allows Line6 to do something like that in the future.

Snapshots are great for "traditional" things in Helix. There's not nearly enough DSP for snapshots to cover complicated stuff. A very common thing for me to do is a dirty tone with 2-3 layered amps and a clean tone with 2-3 layered amps. A snapshot will never fix that problem. Presets are the only thing that fit the bill. The need for fast preset switching is alive and well even in a post-snapshot world. I'm super happy Line 6 eliminated the "fade-in" effect and preset changes are really snappy now.

• Upvote 1

This may not be particularly relevant to anything but the next-gen Helix II (or "Double Helix") but It occurs to me that now every Helix preset in essence has become to some extent a "bank" of 8 presets (snapshots) and L6 has effectively eliminated switching latency, at least within a preset. Eight snapshots is more than enough different scenarios for most songs. I know this may sound like blasphemy but perhaps the next version of the Helix could have fewer presets slots and instead commit that memory to other functionality?  

Right now some folks still need to switch presets within a song if the pedals they need for different parts are significantly different (you can't change the effects from snapshot to snapshot) for the alternate song part and they can't get everything into one preset without exhausting the DSP.  For most songs though snapshots do the trick, the need for additional presets within a song has been vastly decreased. If the next Helix version has enough DSP for most people to jam everything they want into one preset (many find they have enough DSP already) then maybe we won't need over 1000 preset slots and that memory could instead be dedicated to more amp/effects, more and larger IRs, functionality as yet to be imagined, or whatever.

I guess I am just trying to say that snapshots have substantially reduced my need for a large number of presets slots and as a result those hardware reserves could probably be used for something else in the next version of the Helix (or maybe even this one). It is unfortunate that people compare the max number of available preset slots between competitor's MFX offerings because given the new paradigm established by the addition of snapshots I think that space could probably be put to better use, I hope the market allows Line6 to do something like that in the future.

Snapshots are great for "traditional" things in Helix. There's not nearly enough DSP for snapshots to cover complicated stuff. A very common thing for me to do is a dirty tone with 2-3 layered amps and a clean tone with 2-3 layered amps. A snapshot will never fix that problem. Presets are the only thing that fit the bill. The need for fast preset switching is alive and well even in a post-snapshot world. I'm super happy Line 6 eliminated the "fade-in" effect and preset changes are really snappy now.

I agree with most of what you say here and in no way do I want to discourage ongoing efforts to minimize switching latency between presets. I do find there is enough DSP for complicated stuff but there are exceptions where you need another preset.  As you point out, there are some songs and styles that simply require preset switching. I am just pointing out that because of snapshots many scenarios that used to require preset switching no longer do and that perhaps some of that memory that is currently pre-allocated to storing presets could be freed up to be used for more or longer IRs, effects/amps, or whatever.

a dirty tone with 2-3 layered amps and a clean tone with 2-3 layered amps. 

Just out of curiosity, how did you accomplish this before the Helix?  Not trying to be a putz with the question.  I'm just constantly intrigued by what presets I can create that logistically would have been insane to try and pull off with individual pieces both monetarily and logistically. 

Before Helix? HD500 and always with dual amps. Before that, X3 Live, always with dual amps. Mostly with Helix I am on dual amps (and never on single amp) but I'm happy to have the power to add that third amp. In rare cases I can add a fourth amp if I don't need too many effects. Here's an example of a four-amp tone I've done. I'd imagine in the studio they used many more than four amps for this track. Trying to duplicate that process of mixing amps, cabs, and speakers is the only way to match the tonal nuance of the original.