Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone have a good funk guitar preset they can Share?

musiclover7

I thought I heard one of these at first amongst the og presets, but now I can't find it. I am looking for a solid rhythm funk preset, James Brown style. I am not having much luck making my own... nothing sounds right. Anyone have one, or know of one. Did a little searching through the online presets, but am striking out.

Hopefully you're starting with either a strat or a tele because it will be difficult to get where you want to go with anything else.  For very traditional funk sounds (like Average White Band) I start with a standard Twin amp and cab, no reverb, and the LA Compressor in front of the amp.  For more grungy funk like James Brown I've found the standard Matchless clean and Roland Jazz cabinet works well.  In both cases you want VERY light Drive setting (around 1) and roll off the Bass to around 2 or 3.  Position 2 or 3 on the Strat pickup selector.

A lot of the tone in funk depends on using a lighter (more flexible) pick and of course the right chord inversions, colorations and rhythm techniques.  I'm going direct into a FRFR speaker (Yamaha DXR 12), so YMMV depending on your output arrangement.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I do not have a strat anymore, though I know it is a key part of the sound. Would be could if there was some pickup conversion available loke a means of going from humbucker to single coil via modeling within the helix, which is perhaps what I was/am after. I'm fine when it comes to inversions and technique. I will give these suggestions a shot today in any case.

Preset 09A, Funk Clean, in the Factory 2 setlist is my take on a clean funk preset (hence the name :) ). I'd say it was designed with single coil guitar in mind, preferably the neck or 2 or 4 positions on a Strat.