Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"The pick-ups are not engaged in Modeling mode"

If this is true then it's not clear to me how, when using ONLY the VDI cable to POD, you can get magnetic pickups blended into a guitar model when you've done that in workbench.  In case you haven't looked, when tweaking a model in Workbench there is a magnetics blend slider at the bottom of the screen.

I can only conclude this is not real-time magnetic blend, but rather the tweaked model simulates the addition of a percentage of magnetic.

Yes I understand the "no alt tuning with mags" part.  If the mag blend set up in workbench actually works when connected only by VDI and the POD patch is specifying a particular JTV model, then either the mag signal is being sent out through the VDI cable, or the mag blend is actually modeled, not being sent in real time as you play.

I can only conclude this is not real-time magnetic blend, but rather the tweaked model simulates the addition of a percentage of magnetic.

Not this.

All you need to do to prove it to yourself is fire up an alt tuning with a 50/50 blended model. It's a train wreck.

And, it would be utterly pointless if the VDI didn't carry the mag pickups' output...you'd have to swap cables every time you wanted to switch between mags and models. Who the hell is gonna do that?

If you really want to prove that the mag signal mixed into the model is the real deal, just notice that the signal that is blended in comes from the pickup for whatever the pickup selector is set to at the time. It's because the pickup selector is a real, analog selector, and the pickup positions are actually hardwired to it. So, for instance, if your selector is in the bridge position, the bridge pickup is what will be blended into your sound. There's no way to blend any of the other pickups in unless you change the position of the selector.

The problem there is moving the pickup selector changes the model as specified in the pod patch. But I'm convinced that if I edit the guitar model to blend in some mag pickup, that model in the pod patch will reflect the mag input.

Yeah...everyone else is convinced too. That's what the "blend" function does. Model + some chosen percentage of mags. However, you're still stuck with the same logistical issue. Wherever the pickup selector switch is, that's the mag pickup that will be blended with your chosen model...you can't save "neck mag pickup" to a patch the way that a given model is stored. It would be nice, but that ain't how it works.

And yes, moving the switch changes the model, along with the mags. No way around that either. You have to plan ahead. Select the mag pickup position you want first, then select the custom blended model...either on the guitar itself, or from the POD.

So select the mag pickup position you want, then in the patch select the model where you've blended in mags ( in workbench ).  I'm assuming from that point on, that patch will remain the same even if the next time I use the rig with that patch, the mag pickup selector happens to be elsewhere.

I guess the next question would be where other JTV owners have found the mag blend useful.  To augment a Lester type model more so than a strat model?

I often tell those still dedicated to old-style pedal boards not to go the POD/JTV route lightly.  Many of those people are just not going to invest the time to make it work.  But what I try to make clear, diplomatically, is that it isn't that the new gear won't produce and out-perform old pedal boards/amps --  you "gotta pay the cost to be the boss."

So select the mag pickup position you want, then in the patch select the model where you've blended in mags ( in workbench ). I'm assuming from that point on, that patch will remain the same even if the next time I use the rig with that patch, the mag pickup selector happens to be elsewhere.

The patch stores the model, and will select it on demand, provided that you haven't selected "Don't Force" from the global settings menu.

I guess the next question would be where other JTV owners have found the mag blend useful. To augment a Lester type model more so than a strat model?

Personally, no. But that's just me. I find it all lot easier to keep the two worlds separate. Not to mention the fact that once you start adding mags back in to the equation, noise comes with them. Silence is golden...

You can also set the patch up to use your volume pedal to pan between the mags and the model, this is an easy way to say switch between an acoustic (modeled) tone and the magentic pickups driving a distorted tone and/or mix between the two.  (Only with VDI Cable)

Interesting. I have found that the best sound for acoustic models is no amp in the patch at all, so not sure how it would work with mags.

That's not what he means. He's talking about a dual-path patch. Path A for the acoustic with no amp model, and Path B with an amp model for a crunch tone, using the mag pickups. Assign them both to the expression pedal, and morph between them. I do it all the time.

ok gotcha    Wow. So far my patches are either acoustic for softer songs or electric guitar models for louder songs, with no mag at all.

Lots of possibilities with this gear.    This morning I was playing a very slightly tweaked Lester model into the POD which was running dual AC30 amps with the 421 dynamic mics and 2x12 Silver Bell cabs on both.  Awesome tone to my ears.   When it's this good I just can't justify the $$$ for a Helix.