Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Neck Differences On Jtvs

I cancelled an order on a JTV-69,  because I read that so many people don't like the neck on it.  Would still like a JTV, and might consider a JTV89F (want a whammy bar), but noticed that the alternate tunings are different.  What is it that people don't like about the 69 neck and how hard is it to program alternate tunings that are on the 69, but not on the 89, especially in light of the "Spank Model bug" with the new firmware?

I'm not in the position to play either one first (time & distance considerations), so any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob

I personally like the 69 neck.  I have very small hands and the neck is just a tad narrower than most of my other guitars.  I  just received my JTV this past weekend and I am very pleased with it.  Action was a bit too low on the Low E and A but a quick tweak of the saddles fixed that and now it's just about right.  Most guitars I have purchased had the action way too high when I received them.

I am pretty sure you can modify the alternate tunings to suit your liking - for sure by model.  Not sure if you can modify the default ones with WB - somebody with more experience can say if that is possible.

If you are not sure about the neck, you should find one to demo before you order.

Hey there, I had the same concerns as you to the point that I very nearly ordered a neck along with my 69! I like quite chunky necks with round vintage boards so I thought I wouldn't get on with the 69 but I was wrong. The neck feels nice and full in my hands and the board actually rounder than the stated 12". The only real issues were that nut was really badly cut, £20 cured that and the high E is prone to slipping of the frets due to them being over beveled but an adaptation in playing style has sorted that!

When my JTV59 arrived, I was concerned at the fatness of the neck.  I have small hands so I like a narrow and thin neck.  However, I was surprised at how easy it is to play with the neck and I like it very much.  I think the lack of a binding somehow adds to the appeal and also the shorter neck length which means less space between frets.

Thanks guys.  It sounds like I should make time to visit Sweetwater and play a JTV-69 to see if I like the neck.  Other than that issue, I like everything else about the guitar, and I prefer the 69's configuration to that of the 59 or 89.

Anyone else with an opinion, please feel free to chime in.  Still in the decision making stage!