Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Control looper with FBV Express MKII

Guest SebSeb

Guest SebSeb
Hello, is it possible to activate the internal looper Spider V with a pedal FBV Express MKII? I don't know if I should go for it or so for a FBV Shortboard which costs much more expensive

Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here is a link to the manual on line.

http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593cc41922/application/pdf/FBV%20MkII%20Series%20Controller%20Advanced%20User%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20B%20).pdf

The FBV3 will be the best option for use with Spider V when it becomes available, but you can use MkII as well. It just may need some extra time to see how it works as it was designed prior to Spider V.

Hello, is it possible to activate the internal looper Spider V with a pedal FBV Express MKII? I don't know if I should go for it or so for a FBV Shortboard which costs much more expensive
Thank you

I went through every single FAQ and piece of documentation I could find and there is no way (I can see) to activate the looper on an FBV Express MKII. You are limited to using the expression pedal and accessing tones ABCD on a single bank, but that's about it.

If you want to use the one button looper, you will need an FBV Shortboard MKII (which will also let you turn individual effects on/off and control the looper from the Function 2 pedal) or an FBV3 (which, in addition to the above, has color-coded rings around the pedals that indicate the type of effect that they can turn on/off. The FBV 3 only has one Function pedal, and it controls the looper).

If you care about the color-coded rings, I would say go for the FBV 3, I have it and I love it. If you do not care for the color-coded rings, an FBV Shortboard MKII will save you a lot of cash. Just make sure it is the MKII, as the original Shortboard is not officially supported on the Spider V.

• Upvote 1

Hi again guys. Just a couple of questions you may be able to help me with on the FBV3. Have not actually tried it out properly yet. Is there a way you can assign the a-d pedals with any preset available on the spider v? Does the sortware download on the line6 page enable control over such features. I probably sound stupid asking such questions but this tech is all new to me. Used to old school methods. Any help would be great. Thanks again guys. 😊

Hi again guys. Just a couple of questions you may be able to help me with on the FBV3. Have not actually tried it out properly yet. Is there a way you can assign the a-d pedals with any preset available on the spider v? Does the sortware download on the line6 page enable control over such features. I probably sound stupid asking such questions but this tech is all new to me. Used to old school methods. Any help would be great. Thanks again guys.

Yes.  Spider V is organized in 32 banks, each with 4 presets A-D.  You can overwrite any of them with different presets, or you can reorganize the existing tones so they show up in whichever bank or preset you would like.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I'm puzzled here ... I had line6 stuff since years(spider 2, spider 4, JTV variax, pocket POD, Amplifi TT).

So when Spider V came, I bought it after checking 1 important point: I had the FBV Express MkII, working perfectly with the Spider IV, with 1 feature I loved most ... guess which ? controlling the looper.

So I came here, saw this topic, esp the affirmative reply from NickBell which was the last answer at that time , and also the " Complete Line 6 Pedal Compatibility FAQ" http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/fbv-mki-mkii-controllers/the-complete-line-6-pedal-compatibility-faq-r58

The latter says: ... compatible with Spider V ... It does not suggest ' partially compatible ' ...

So on 11th of december I placed my order, then waited several weeks ... and now, guess what? The pedal is of no use with the looper.

I forgot to mention that I did not envisage to use extra 100s of euros to buy a 'even more compatible' pedal.

I wouldn't call this good commercial practice.  Would you ?

Had I known that 'partial compatibility', I would not have bought it...

Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps NickBell you have some material elaborate on your first answer ? You would save my day ...

(Apart from that, it's a really good sounding amp ...but with lots of bad presets ... well at least for my taste)

• Upvote 1

FWIW, even with the FBV3, looper action is one button for all looper functions, so it's not the most functional of looper designs within that pedal. I would have preferred when looper is active, the bottom switches became rec, start , stop , play. It's really hard to use live given it's upper switch placement position and single button operation. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm puzzled here ... I had line6 stuff since years(spider 2, spider 4, JTV variax, pocket POD, Amplifi TT).

So when Spider V came, I bought it after checking 1 important point: I had the FBV Express MkII, working perfectly with the Spider IV, with 1 feature I loved most ... guess which ? controlling the looper.

So I came here, saw this topic, esp the affirmative reply from NickBell which was the last answer at that time , and also the " Complete Line 6 Pedal Compatibility FAQ" http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/fbv-mki-mkii-controllers/the-complete-line-6-pedal-compatibility-faq-r58

The latter says: ... compatible with Spider V ... It does not suggest ' partially compatible ' ...

So on 11th of december I placed my order, then waited several weeks ... and now, guess what? The pedal is of no use with the looper.

I forgot to mention that I did not envisage to use extra 100s of euros to buy a 'even more compatible' pedal.

I wouldn't call this good commercial practice.  Would you ?

Had I known that 'partial compatibility', I would not have bought it...

Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps NickBell you have some material elaborate on your first answer ? You would save my day ...

(Apart from that, it's a really good sounding amp ...but with lots of bad presets ... well at least for my taste)

Couldn't agree more as I'm in the same boat - it appears strange that the same pedal (FBV express MKii) is able to control the looper fine with a Spider IV amp, but not with a Spider V one - the latter of which I got. I read in the Spider IV manual the looper control is entered with the express pedal by stepping down on both A+B or C+D - any chance of enabling this for the Spider V as well via a firmware update or so? Pleeease?

• Upvote 1

Couldn't agree more as I'm in the same boat - it appears strange that the same pedal (FBV express MKii) is able to control the looper fine with a Spider IV amp, but not with a Spider V one - the latter of which I got. I read in the Spider IV manual the looper control is entered with the express pedal by stepping down on both A+B or C+D - any chance of enabling this for the Spider V as well via a firmware update or so? Pleeease?

Hey krschn, the best place to posts product requests is on Line 6's ideascale website. On ideascale end users can post and vote on ideas they'd like to see happen with Line 6 products. Product managers do look at ideascale, so it is the best place to get your voice heard.

https://line6.ideascale.com/

• 2 months later...
Guest Luděk Kolenatý

I am also disappointed - but my fault. I read this topic and when reached Nick Bell's (incorrect) response to the clearly presented question I didn't realize that he meant the FBV shortboard pedal...I bought my Express MKII and found out that I had spent my money in vain as the looper function is my of main interest. Buying more sophisticated pedal the price of which is comparable to Spider V 60 itself, seems to be a nonsense for me.

Please add the looper functionality to FBV express MKII in the next update.

Luděk Kolenatý, Prague

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello. I'm not new to line 6 but I am to this forum, the spider V and the FBV MK-II Express. I know there's a lot of questions regarding controlling the looper, have those been resolved?

I've installed and read everything I can find and I can't figure out how to just assign presets to the board. It changes them fine, it's just random, I'm sure I'm missing something. this is the most basic thing for it to do and all the paperwork says they work with each other. So has anybody found any answers at all? I would rather be playing it than setting it up, or trying, ever since I got it a few days ago. Thanks in advance

• 3 years later...