Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Where's the Helix editor download?

boynigel

i've had my helix for about a year now and finally have some time to mess around with the editing software so i can edit and backup from my laptop.  went to line6's site and did a search under downloads for the editing software but all that comes up are firmware upgrades.  i want editing software.  am i blind?  don't see it anywhere

Warning is needed here!  You have to use the same editor version as your firmware.  If you have had your Helix for a year, then it will have firmware that predates the editor.  So you will need to back up as the first thing you do, then very carefully go through the updating process including the firmware.  Do not attempt to edit your old firmware version with a different editor version.

The editor itself is just called "Helix". Leave the first pulldown blank, select Helix in the second one, and select your OS in the third, and it will come up.

http://line6.com/software/

Or, if you put Helix in the first pulldown, and leave all the other fields blank it will show up.

that worked, thanks.  however, i couldn't launch it because it says that i need to update my firmware.  it is my understanding that i'll lose all my patches if i update the firmware.  obviously under normal circumstances one would back up in Edit but i can't launch it because of the firmware issue.  is there any way around this?

Warning is needed here!  You have to use the same editor version as your firmware.  If you have had your Helix for a year, then it will have firmware that predates the editor.  So you will need to back up as the first thing you do, then very carefully go through the updating process including the firmware.  Do not attempt to edit your old firmware version with a different editor version.

i saw this response too late.  already installed the latest version of Edit.  sure enough, i can't launch it w/out doing a firmware upgrade first which will wipe everything clean.  i've only got on preset that i can't live without.  i suppose i can just go through each screen and take settings snapshots with my phone

i saw this response too late.  already installed the latest version of Edit.  sure enough, i can't launch it w/out doing a firmware upgrade first which will wipe everything clean.  i've only got on preset that i can't live without.  i suppose i can just go through each screen and take settings snapshots with my phone

If you haven't upgraded your firmware yet you can download and install an old version of the Helix Editor that matches the firmware you have (I would uninstall the Helix software you just installed first), backup up your presets and IRs with the old version of the Editor, then go and download the newest version of the Helix app, upgrade your firmware, do the global reset, and then restore your presets and IRs.

• 1 year later...
On 11/21/2016 at 12:44 PM, phil_m said:

The editor itself is just called "Helix". Leave the first pulldown blank, select Helix in the second one, and select your OS in the third, and it will come up.

http://line6.com/software/

Or, if you put Helix in the first pulldown, and leave all the other fields blank it will show up.

Can't find it 

3 hours ago, Jay79costa said:

Can't find it 

Hi Jay79costa,

It certainly can be a little bit confusing, because the name changed on the last update. In fact, so many people were confused that a whole thread about updating to v2.60 was posted at the top of the forum.

https://line6.com/support/topic/34393-helixhx-effects-firmware-update-instructions-please-read-before-posting-a-new-thread/

Guess you must have missed it, so try this:

Firstly, using your currently installed version of HX Edit - make a backup of the stuff from your Helix.

Now, from the Line 6 downloads page, you should select HX Edit under the All Software tab and then whatever version of Windows or Mac OS you are using from All OS on the dropdown menus. This will take you to the correct download page. This is the only thing you need to download. 

When you install HX Edit it will also install the latest Line6 Updater v1.14 and any other drivers etc., that you may need. After the new HX Edit software has been installed, reboot your computer. Doing a clean install should clear any glitches that were linking to any old versions of the software. 

When you’ve done this, ensure HX Edit is shutdown, then launch the new Line 6 Updater v1.14, click the about button to check the details. If all your connections are good the Updater should see your Helix. You can now proceed with the firmware upgrade, over your internet connection. Do not disconnect or turn off the power to your Helix during this process. When completed your Helix will reboot and rebuild the presets, then you are good to go, no hardware reset is required.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! I have another question. Sorry for bugging you.

I set up 8 snapshots on a particular patch but every time I wanna use them I have to press bank up/down simultaneously to then select a snapshot. Is there a way to have all snapshots like stomp boxes lined up?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jay79costa said:

Thank you so much! I have another question. Sorry for bugging you.

I set up 8 snapshots on a particular patch but every time I wanna use them I have to press bank up/down simultaneously to then select a snapshot. Is there a way to have all snapshots like stomp boxes lined up?

Hi again,

No problem. Happy to help out.

You need to set up your footswitches under the Global Settings menu.

Best thing to do is have a look at pages 38 and 39 in the Helix Owner’s Manual, which saves me having to type all the info here. The thing you mention about simultaneously pressing FS1 and FS7, that combination cycles through BANK UP /DOWN, PRESET UP /DOWN , and SNAPSHOT UP /DOWN. If you have globally set up for 8 Snapshots when you press the UP /DOWN switches you should get your 8 snaps ready to use just like regular stomp boxes.

Here’s a link to the pages you require:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a06439c975d5787c3e351aa0/application/pdf/Helix 2.0 Owners Manual - Rev D - English .pdf#page38

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I just got my helix. I want to copy patches from other users into my helix.

So basically.. im using windows 10. Helix version 2.6.

The first thing that i need is a helix software editor in my laptop... can someone tell me how can i get this.. i searched for the whole line 6 download page and im still confused.. Maybe share me the link? :)

2 minutes ago, alf91 said:

I just got my helix. I want to copy patches from other users into my helix.

So basically.. im using windows 10. Helix version 2.6.

The first thing that i need is a helix software editor in my laptop... can someone tell me how can i get this.. i searched for the whole line 6 download page and im still confused.. Maybe share me the link? :)

Do the pulldown menus like this, and the latest version of HX Edit will be the first thing on the list:

ec3e731b-2dbe-441d-9baf-3f315c1e6c8a.png

• 1 year later...

line 6 helix. I had both 'FX Edit' app (has a white X) & 'Helix' app (has a dark grey X) but the app only named  'Helix' suddenly says won't connect even though it's been running 2.82 for a couple of months fully up to date without any problems on windows 10 using either. Any idea what's the difference & what the problem is.

57 minutes ago, SDRS said:

line 6 helix. I had both 'FX Edit' app (has a white X) & 'Helix' app (has a dark grey X) but the app only named  'Helix' suddenly says won't connect even though it's been running 2.82 for a couple of months fully up to date without any problems on windows 10 using either. Any idea what's the difference & what the problem is.

Sounds like you might have an old copy of the editor malingering on your PC. When you bring up the editor and check the Help->'About HX Edit' dialog box it should say 2.82. Check your programs and make sure you don't still have the old editor. If you do, uninstall it from your PC. If in doubt, remove all the Helix programs and reinstall 'HX Edit' 2.82.